small animal rotating internship and the match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetmed-mirrorball

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm in my third year of my DVM degree in the USA. I am planning on doing a small animal rotating internship and afterwards I want to do a residency (probably neuro or IM). As of now I'm looking at academic internships and some of the well established private practices as well.

I am really nervous about the match! My GPA is high and I have worked at a referral practice for the past few summers but I am worried that I don't have enough connections in academia to network and get myself known. I've heard that you need someone to really "go-to-bat" for you to get a position. Are my clinical rotations in 4th year enough time to ask professors to write LORs? I am also concerned that COVID is going to limit my ability to rotate through my top programs :(

Members don't see this ad.

Are my clinical rotations in 4th year enough time to ask professors to write LORs?
Yes. Most LORs are based on hospital year(s) rotations.

At the beginning of your rotation it doesn't hurt to let your faculty know you are considering a rotating internship and would love to hear any advice they might have. When it's time to ask for a LOR, ask if they are comfortable writing you an excellent letter. You don't want a letter, you want a great letter. Do this well before the deadline. And provide them your CV and letter of intent.

Good luck!