SLU Students: Your best guess on how construction should affect housing choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msundi83

Chilled Out Entertainer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any SLU students chime in on this. I know that HWY 40 will be having work done on it and that means a lot more traffic. Right now I'm looking at West End Terrace in CWE, but I'm also liking the Georgetown Apts and Forrest Park (taking the Shrewsburry exit off I44). Some have voiced concern that while the commute from these is okay now...that will change drastically for the worst. I know backroads are an option for some apts. in the surrounding area, but I don't know how feasible this is for these latter properties. These latter two are also near the metro link. I know that goes right near the college, but I have heard very little about whether or not students even use this. Does anyone? I would like to live in these more distant places, but I also wouldn't mind West End Terrace if it will save me a great deal of hassle. Any ideas about whether living out in the Georgetown or Park Forest Apts will be a royal pain in the butt during my first year at SLU?

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to Class/School threads so that your classmates can find it better.

I don't go to SLU but I live down the street... 44 isn't going to have construction as far as I know so I wouldn't worry about traffic there. For the CWE, I don't normally take the highway when I go there because it takes the same amount of time to use Grand to Lindell (10-15 minutes in traffic) so that won't be a problem either.

My biggest piece of advice is to not just focus on aparment complexes. There are some really great 4-families and 2-families with vacancies in great areas that happen to be really really close to the school.

In terms of areas... St. Louis city is all about neighborhoods so find one you like! The Tower Grove Park area is nice (5 min away) and right next to S. Grand with all its bars/shops/restaurants. Plus the park is gorgeous. Very walkable area with lots of young people. Laffyette Square is also nice, but more of an older crowd and neighborhood feel. Your best bet would be the CWE and not off of 44. There are lots of young professionals and people you would have things in common with in the CWE. Lots of things to do, people always walking around, eeeaasy access to Forest Park which you will love, and most importantly it's near the Brentwood shopping center. I can't tell you how much I miss that easy drive to Borders, Target, Whole Foods, etc by living over by Tower Grove Park. You will be 10 minutes away by living in the CWE. Smack dab in the middle of where you want to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply. I do like the West End Terrace in CWE. Right next to the New Cathedral. Beautiful!

Avoid highway 64 (known here at 40), of course. Keep in mind the feeder roads to downtown and the medical school campus will get a lot more crowded, particularly in 2009 as they close 64 east of 170.

In the city, you might consider buying something. There are still two and four families that can be purchased reasonably - and you could rent out the other apartments to classmates.

There are a lot of housing options - if you want to rent, consider the neighborhood around the Botanical Gardens.