Site visit dos/donts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

objleakT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Besides the obvious, what are some dos and donts for site visits? For example, is this the right place to talk about contract details, etc?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

At an ACGME site visit? No way.
I suspect they are talking about for jobs, not for ACGME site visits, but the wording is a bit loaded.

OP, I don't know the answer, but I suspect it depends. Are you just going to meet people and see the place or are you actually having a sit down to iron out details? I suspect you should be able to tell based on what they give you opening socially for.

I suspect they are talking about for jobs, not for ACGME site visits, but the wording is a bit loaded.

OP, I don't know the answer, but I suspect it depends. Are you just going to meet people and see the place or are you actually having a sit down to iron out details? I suspect you should be able to tell based on what they give you opening socially for.

That makes sense. I guess I’ve never referred to a job interview as a site visit.

Agree, it depends. Some of them may bring it up. But in my experience most places will do it after an offer.

Hey guys,

Besides the obvious, what are some dos and donts for site visits? For example, is this the right place to talk about contract details, etc?

Thanks in advance

Typically after an offer is made however it makes sense that you have some details about what the job offers prior to your visit. If the offer is subpar and you wouldn't consider it, why bother visiting in the first place? That would waste everyone's time. Also if a facility is unwilling to cover your travel costs, stay away. That tells you a lot about the financial viability and security of the practice. Some time last year I think I interviewed at a place that was so financially unstable that they couldn't even cover my $4 parking. I was like yeah no.

Reactions: 1 user
At an interview is a perfectly appropriate time to ask about compensation. Just be sure you do so with the right people. This is a question for the medical director or administrative director (or both).

For instance, if you were interviewing with my academ-ish oncology group, you would interview with (among about 15 other people) the medical director (me), the division director (admin), the division chief and the VP of oncology. Any of those 4 would be the right people to ask about compensation.