Side gigs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podgod22

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So if anyone has followed my previous posts, I think we’re under the impression that my current situation is less than ideal, being out of residency for as long as I have (6years).

Anyways, while I search for something that might be better futuristically, I’ve come across a few “side gigs” that seem like they might be worth a try to maintain income. These includes the usual podiatry suspects of a mix of NH, home care and wound care centers.

My current employer seems to point out several reasons why I CANNOT pursue these things. Mainly seems like it comes down to money for malpractice, Licensing etc.

Am I truly bound by this or can my skill set be restricted due to these gray areas? Obviously I want to avoid any conflict of interests here but the way I see it, it’s my name on the licenses, Med mal policy etc.

If any agreement would be reached, I would cover my costs of these items if need be.

Who’s in the wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

Licensing isn’t an issue unless you are doing it in another state that you aren’t already licensed in (ie you live near a border). That would affect malpractice as well. Assuming that’s not true, I believe you would still have to update your malpractice carrier in terms of other clinics you would be covering. I guess this could affect the premium but I wouldn’t think so.

The real question is what does your contract say? Most will have language that states all work done and revenue generated while practicing podiatry is run through the clinic first and then distributed to you. That doesn’t stop you from doing side gigs but if you approached your boss as if you would do these things and keep all of or more of the revenue because it wasn’t using up office staff or resources then your boss could stop you. If you asked to do the work and bill everything out through his practice like you have been doing up until this point, then I have no idea why he would have a problem.

Yeah depends what your contract says I would think. If you're doing it on nights/weekends I would push back on your employer taking a cut since that's not during business hours. However, if you're being paid 'full time' and you're clipping nails at NH on a Tuesday morning I could see them wanting a taste

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah depends what your contract says I would think. If you're doing it on nights/weekends I would push back on your employer taking a cut since that's not during business hours. However, if you're being paid 'full time' and you're clipping nails at NH on a Tuesday morning I could see them wanting a taste
Getting a taste from clipping toenails....

Mustache pods are the worst

Reactions: 1 user
Getting a taste from clipping toenails....

Mustache pods are the worst
Truly the worst. What does it say about the profession that the last 2 topics on this forum have been 'Side Gigs' and 'Backup Plan' :rofl:

Reactions: 3 users
Licensing isn’t an issue unless you are doing it in another state that you aren’t already licensed in (ie you live near a border). That would affect malpractice as well. Assuming that’s not true, I believe you would still have to update your malpractice carrier in terms of other clinics you would be covering. I guess this could affect the premium but I wouldn’t think so.

The real question is what does your contract say? Most will have language that states all work done and revenue generated while practicing podiatry is run through the clinic first and then distributed to you. That doesn’t stop you from doing side gigs but if you approached your boss as if you would do these things and keep all of or more of the revenue because it wasn’t using up office staff or resources then your boss could stop you. If you asked to do the work and bill everything out through his practice like you have been doing up until this point, then I have no idea why he would have a problem.
Well it’s vague. The language just states that I cannot be in direct competition within x radius. Which I’m not. These side gigs are well beyond the non compete radius.

The issue that the employer might have is that if there is a god forbid suit, the practice can get looped into it since the malpractice policy has office address listed etc.

It seems odd to me because there’s tons of people who moonlight or work in multiple offices without a issue.

Well it’s vague. The language just states that I cannot be in direct competition within x radius. Which I’m not. These side gigs are well beyond the non compete radius.

The issue that the employer might have is that if there is a god forbid suit, the practice can get looped into it since the malpractice policy has office address listed etc.

It seems odd to me because there’s tons of people who moonlight or work in multiple offices without a issue.

Why not form your own LLC and function as an independent contractor outside your radius? Get your own liability insurance plan as well. That should solve any issues from your permanent employer and frankly is your only choice in my opinion.

Best 'side gig' is probably looking for a new job.

And why would you even ask your current employer about doing work outside the non-compete and on your day(s) off? Just do it. The risk of malpractice is low to ultra-low on those convalescent homes... risk of fraud is moderate to high - depending on how you do it - but the malpractice rates are low for a reason.

...if anyone has followed my previous posts...
Nobody follows your posts. You joined a month ago. This isn't IG. :)

I had a side gig at a nursing home and it can be complicated depending on the state. My state says I can only have one insurance policy so my old private practice mustache man had to play ball (he knew how much he was underpaying me and figured this would keep me around longer). The insurance company was nice enough to give me a breakdown of how much I’d owe for the nursing home vs the practice, that’s how we did it.

Members don't see this ad :)
DPM JD - coming for you Barry!

DPM JD - coming for you Barry!
Don't ask Barry Block for help. His automatic reply is "I'm not licensed in your state I can't give legal guidance".

BUT old man Barry will stalk your LinkedIn profile and post in his beloved PMnews that you just landed a new job. Anything for his advertisement dollars.

Gotta love podiatry.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Why not form your own LLC and function as an independent contractor outside your radius?
This is the answer. You have to open an LLC, get Tax ID, Business account, get your own malpractice, you own group NPI, an EHR system for your progress notes and billing, insurance credentialing for your new LLC and linking it to the tax ID, the NH locations and new group NPI since you are already credentialed in the state, buy you own instruments etc......

If you go this far, you might as well rent an office space and start seeing patients and this is exactly why your Boss does not want you to go that route. It's a slippery slope to a better life for yourself. Your Boss can't let that happen.

Once you taste the joy of keeping 100% of what you earn, you will never go back to working for anyone. Your Boss knows this!!!

Reactions: 1 users
This is the answer. You have to open an LLC, get Tax ID, Business account, get your own malpractice, you own group NPI, an EHR system for your progress notes and billing, insurance credentialing for your new LLC and linking it to the tax ID, the NH locations and new group NPI since you are already credentialed in the state, buy you own instruments etc......
I've always wondered, how do people handle the sterilization of instruments when doing NH work? Surely you don't carry around 30+ peel packs of sterilized nail nippers? Instrument tray with cidex? Seems sketchy

I've always wondered, how do people handle the sterilization of instruments when doing NH work? Surely you don't carry around 30+ peel packs of sterilized nail nippers? Instrument tray with cidex? Seems sketchy

If you are working for health drive they give you an autoclave and a journal and all the testing materials to document you are following infectious disease standards. They do it to cover their ass and hold you liable if you are not cleaning your instruments.

If you work for yourself you should get an autoclave otherwise face heavy fines if any admin ever caught wind of you not cleaning your instruments and treating patients.

51DTts6ix6L._SL500_.jpg

Autoclave instruments after the day is over, but during the NH visit you let instruments sit in a cold sterile/antifungal solution of your choice after the initial removal from sterile packaging. You rotate instruments so that they get the appropriate 15 min in the solution before being used again the same day. That means you can carry as few as 4 nail nippers, but you can’t/don’t need to try and carry 30.

If you are working for health drive they give you an autoclave and a journal and all the testing materials to document you are following infectious disease standards. They do it to cover their ass and hold you liable if you are not cleaning your instruments.

If you work for yourself you should get an autoclave otherwise face heavy fines if any admin ever caught wind of you not cleaning your instruments and treating patients.
So Healthdrive doesnt have a person sterilizing instruments for you?