Showing Interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radsappy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I SHOW a program that I am interested in them? I do not want to jeopardize my chances with an away rotation, and I live in the same city as the program.

Do I send out emails? To whom? Should I say they are my top choice?

Do I make appointments to see people? To shadow people? Which people-program director?, someone with similar research interests?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure what year you are...I assuming 4th. Anywho, I think it seems logical that the most important thing is correctly assessing just how competitive you are for the program of your interest. I think you could show a PD how interested you are in them by plenty of emails and shadowing, but if you don't have what it takes to make their cutoff (either scores, research, grades, etc), it doesn't matter for anything. So here's my assessment and plan:

1) Do well in med school
2) Contact the PD for some facetime and verbally express interest
3) Do well in med school
4) Consider an elective at the institution of interest, mainly for facetime. Don't expect to get great letters from electives.
5) Do well in med school

Hope this helps. It's basically the plan I'm using. I'll let you know how it goes.