Should Rad Oncs be allowed to work past age 50?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jondunn

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
It's time for CMS to shut this **** down

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
It's time for CMS to shut this **** down
50? Ok bro 🙄

Let's see if you're even old enough to understand this gif

flashing sci-fi GIF
future sci-fi GIF

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Only if they sign contracts promising lifetime Evicore non employment. And sell their linac to a new grad, if they own one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Part time by 50, that is the goal. If for some reason job market perks up (seems to be a signal - I see more $2000 locums then before), then part time or locums will be nice way to fade out

Reactions: 1 users
Realistically, if you could make the age 70, it would be a huge service to the field and much more viable/common sense to do than 50 @jondunn

There are many septuagenarians out there still practicing/doing locums who need to be told to hang it up

Last edited:
"They were once men; great kings of men. Then Sauron the Deceiver gave to them nine Rings of Power. Blinded by their greed, they took them without question, one by one falling into darkness. Now they are slaves to his will. They are the Nazgûl: Ringwraiths, neither living nor dead. At all times they feel the presence of the Ring, drawn to the power of the One. They will never stop hunting you."

• Love
  • Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
Thought you could work for evicore anywhere. Hear kids crying, dogs barking, microwaves beeping, toilets flushing in the background on P2P calls all the time

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Thought you could work for evicore anywhere. Hear kids crying, dogs barking, microwaves beeping, toilets flushing in the background on P2P calls all the time
Evicore won't hire you as an "assistant medical director" (AMD) unless you have nice reliable broadband internet at home. The P2P calls are all routed across the Evicore network into Cisco network connected telephony devices inside each P2P person's house. You get a laptop, headset, Cisco phone, and special Cisco routing device which puts your Evicore equipment across a secure VPN that you can quite literally access anywhere on the planet with an internet connection that's at least 20 Mbps up/down.

Part time by 50, that is the goal. If for some reason job market perks up (seems to be a signal - I see more $2000 locums then before), then part time or locums will be nice way to fade out
The locums staffing companies have been relentless this week - at least 1-2 phone calls, texts and emails every day this week. Wonder if locums are more in demand now...

Reactions: 1 user
The locums staffing companies have been relentless this week - at least 1-2 phone calls, texts and emails every day this week. Wonder if locums are more in demand now...
Yep. Goes with the job market being (relatively) better this year as well compared to the disaster during peak covid

Yep. Goes with the job market being (relatively) better this year as well compared to the disaster during peak covid
If that is the case (I'm not sure), increased locum demand may just mean people starting to go to conferences and vacations again

If that is the case (I'm not sure), increased locum demand may just mean people starting to go to conferences and vacations again
Relentless and prices going up. Got a bunch for >$2000 recently

Reactions: 5 users
I am getting a lot more requests for locums coverage. Still in training :lol:

59.5 would be the soonest I retire (or whatever age one can start taking distributions from a tax-deferred retirement)

I saw a 50 year old try to log in to Mosaiq a few weeks ago, was a sad sad sight.

Poor gal

59.5 would be the soonest I retire (or whatever age one can start taking distributions from a tax-deferred retirement)
You can withdraw roth contributions (though not gains) penalty free at any time and if you are 55 the year you quit working, you can withdraw from a 457b penalty free.

In the US the mandatory retirement age is 65 for commercial airline pilots. I don't think this would be unreasonable hard line retirement age for clinical medicine as well. That being said, in no way do I hope to be still practicing at that age myself.

there's at least one old old old old person still holding on to the mouse at TOPA that needs to be put out to pasture.

In the US the mandatory retirement age is 65 for commercial airline pilots. I don't think this would be unreasonable hard line retirement age for clinical medicine as well. That being said, in no way do I hope to be still practicing at that age myself.

Shouldn’t this apply to administers as well? Wasn’t Wally Curran basically forced to retire from Emory due to age and now he’s basically an admin at Genesis? That to me is just as bad if not worse for the field.

Reactions: 4 users
Everyone should quit today, right at this moment, regardless of age, and let the next generation have at it.

• Haha