Should I worry about Rankings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTstudent11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to PT school in the fall. I have looked at US news and world report's rankings of the top PT schools in the nation. My question is: how much do these rankings matter in terms of job placement? For instance, is it better to go to # 2 Wash U in St. Louis and pay high tuition or go to a state school that is lower ranked, say #30 or below, to save money?

Aside the obvious of learning 'more' at a top ranked school, do the benefits outweigh the costs?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you search through some of the older threads here, you'll find this question addressed frequently.

The simple answer is no. The rankings mean very little, if anything, in regards to job placement.

Thanks for the advice,
I tried searching the forum but didn't have luck locating an answer to this question. New to the forum... still learning.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of job placement, no, the rankings really don't matter. In some PT practices, a warm body with a license may suffice.
However, I think that you also really need to consider how you feel about the education you receive. I interviewed at schools that ranked in the top ten to schools that had not participated in the process (those schools you see in US News with the N/A next to them). Presently, the ranking process is rather ridiculous, because it is the chair of each department which evaluates other schools. Those that do not participate receive the N/A.
All that aside, I have to say, I was quite unimpressed with the low to unranked schools. These tended to lack cadaver labs in which PT students did dissection (which I feel I have learned a TON from), faculty/students whom seemed less dedicated or at least had less understanding of our importance as practioners of choice in regards to prevention and muscular dysfunction, fewer clinical hours, lack of research opportunities, fewer professors who were Ph.D/ board certified, and/or lack of interaction in onsite hospital and rehabilitation settings.
In the end, I chose the best program that fit my desire to the best clinician I can be in a few short years, and it included all the aforementioned criteria. (It also happened to be in the top rankings and is EXPENSIVE!) I TOTALLY realize that cost is a huge factor, and know that I will be paying off these loans for a very long time. It is possible to obtain scholarships, and loan forgiveness programs are a possibility after you graduate if you are interested in going that route.
I'm not trying to encourage you to spend lots of money, but make a list of the components of a program that you feel will make you the best PT.
We have a huge duty to the public and future patients to be as knowledgeable and educated as we can- we should not try to skate by w/ the bare minimum. Presently, our profession and the health care system at large is undergoing big changes, and I really feel it is imperative that we are equipped with skills that enable us to sucessfully work with our patients to produce good outcomes.
These skills do include the eval, recognizing appropriate treatments vs. risks, but also include your ability to interact w/ patients well, and participate w/ them in the treatment process.
I know this is way more than you probably wanted, but the long and short of it is... no, the rankings don't matter in future empolyment if you just want to work at some PT mill where you just eval 10- 15 patients a day and then turn them over to a PTA.
Apply to a wide range of schools, get a good feel for their programs, and ask the current students and professors some tough questions about their programs. Sorry for the long rant, but it is important for you to get a great education. PM me if you like- be happy to rant more! :)

Wow, thanks for the reply. That's incredibly helpful and insightful. I have a strong desire to go to a topped rank program to challenge myself and get a fantastic education. Many people i've talked to, however, have discouraged me claiming that the costs of the program will never be worth gains in knowledge.

I tend to disagree with this statement so that's why I made this post. I currently go to an expensive private college and feel I have gained many things I could not at other schools. I'll definitely PM you some time!

Thanks again.

I agree that rankings are unimportant when it comes to salary, job placement, etc. What I have found though is that many of the top ranked schools have many resources that some of the lower ranked schools don't have (many that NWfuturePT described).

I totally understand why time and time again, people argue to go to a cheaper school. This makes sense if you compare 2 schools that you like equally with similar tangibles/resources. Also makes sense if you know you absolutely can't afford private school.

I also chose to go to a ranked school with a higher tuition. I may be paying a lot in loans now, but I had/have access to many resources that has made it worthwhile.

As others have said, make a list of what you want and give each item a level of importance or something along those lines. The rest is up to you. Everyone will have contrasting views from there on.

For instance NWfuturePT found that faculty/students seemed less dedicated to the material and the profession in the unranked schools, I recieved that impression from more of the ranked schools I've checked out (granted I haven't traveled the country to visit the best of the best). While I want to go to a school with peers that I can study with and accel with, in the end I know it's up to my class (granted chosen by the school) and myself to determine how each individual does.

One question, why do people place importance on faculty holding Ph.D's? What advantage does this give? I've been taught by several Ph.D professors and haven't thought of them as holding anything special over my other professors. I always just assumed it was simply education inflation for teaching jobs. Is there an advantage that I am missing?

I will be applying to PT school in the fall. I have looked at US news and world report's rankings of the top PT schools in the nation. My question is: how much do these rankings matter in terms of job placement? For instance, is it better to go to # 2 Wash U in St. Louis and pay high tuition or go to a state school that is lower ranked, say #30 or below, to save money?

Aside the obvious of learning 'more' at a top ranked school, do the benefits outweigh the costs?

Thank you!

no