Should I wait another year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjn566

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently finishing up undergrad and am applying to some post bac programs to boost my science gpa and prove that I have improved my academic capabilites. I will be starting grad school (1 year program) fall 2016 and completing the masters/post bac in ____fill in the blank____ within a year. I cannot decide if I should apply to medical school this cylce or next cycle. This cycle I would not have any grades or possibly not even admittance into the post bac program yet. Also, my letters of rec are just average I'd say. If I wait another year I would have an extra year between the post bac and hopefully matriculation into medical school. This empty year id be applying to medical school and hopefully going on interviews. Also I might be able to get some letters of rec from the post bac program. What do you guys think I should do? Wait or go for it and apply this cycle? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently finishing up undergrad and am applying to some post bac programs to boost my science gpa and prove that I have improved my academic capabilites. I will be starting grad school (1 year program) fall 2016 and completing the masters/post bac in ____fill in the blank____ within a year. I cannot decide if I should apply to medical school this cylce or next cycle. This cycle I would not have any grades or possibly not even admittance into the post bac program yet. Also, my letters of rec are just average I'd say. If I wait another year I would have an extra year between the post bac and hopefully matriculation into medical school. This empty year id be applying to medical school and hopefully going on interviews. Also I might be able to get some letters of rec from the post bac program. What do you guys think I should do? Wait or go for it and apply this cycle? Thanks!

I think you answered it yourself - wait until the summer of 2017 (taking a total of 2 gap years, including post-bac, before med school matriculation) to apply once you are done with the post-bac program. That means you'll have your post-bac grades and possibly better LORs from your professors in the post-bac program.

What about your MCAT? You might want take another year off (i.e., apply during the summer of 2018) to get ready for the MCAT if necessary.