Should I void MCAT 7/20?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted807068

I wrote AAMC FL 1 3 days ago and scored a 503 (125,125,125,128)- I'm testing on 07/20. At this point, I can't reschedule or postpone the exam, so I must take it. Should I begin to look into the possibility of voiding and retaking the exam in September? I have a 3.17 sGPA and a 3.48 cGPA. I'm trying to not let the score get to me so I can stay focused but I realize that I should probably get some experienced advice before I make a silly decision. Worthy to note that I am applying only DO and would be willing to take an acceptance anywhere if given the opportunity.

Members don't see this ad.

Void and retake.
You already have a weak science gpa, you don’t wanna risk also getting a 499 MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got a WAY lower MCAT score than any of the aforementioned scores. Had a 3.59 cGPA and a 3.51 science. Applied in october to 4 schools; with 3 interviews, and 2 accepts. It all depends on what you really want.

If you want to be a DO and you have a good application; then taking now or in September will not hurt you either way as I really do not foresee your score being significantly better come then. What you gain in points may not make a big enough difference based on time difference cause now you'd be "early," but later you'd just be "not late."

If you want to be an MD, postpone your entire cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a WAY lower MCAT score than any of the aforementioned scores. Had a 3.59 cGPA and a 3.51 science. Applied in october to 4 schools; with 3 interviews, and 2 accepts. It all depends on what you really want.

If you want to be a DO and you have a good application; then taking now or in September will not hurt you either way as I really do not foresee your score being significantly better come then. What you gain in points may not make a big enough difference based on time difference cause now you'd be "early," but later you'd just be "not late."

If you want to be an MD, postpone your entire cycle.

I see where you are coming from. I can take it now, get around a 503 and apply early. Or take in September and apply "not late"; the only thing is, I feel like I can get a way higher score. You probably heard this 1000 times, but I, unfortunately, spent too much time on content and after reviewing FL 1, I felt like I could have answered every answer correctly had I known the logic. I'm going to take AAMC FL II and if I can improve to a 508ish range, I'll re-evaluate.

What were your other FL's like?

If you have not taken other FL tests you definitely need more time. By the time you sit the exam you should have exhausted all available resources.

Reactions: 1 users
I see where you are coming from. I can take it now, get around a 503 and apply early. Or take in September and apply "not late"; the only thing is, I feel like I can get a way higher score. You probably heard this 1000 times, but I, unfortunately, spent too much time on content and after reviewing FL 1, I felt like I could have answered every answer correctly had I known the logic. I'm going to take AAMC FL II and if I can improve to a 508ish range, I'll re-evaluate.
Well, you also have to consider people usually drop 2-5 points from their average FL scores in your range. So you’d be looking at the 498-501 range for actual which would still get you in. If you raise it to an 508 average, people still drop 1-3 points on the actual.

Basically the stress of test day and the intensity lowers people’s scores. It’s not until you’re getting above a 512 that the scores are right on the money with the actual - those kids just “get it.”

I would try and take that second FL Wednesday / Thursday ish, and see what it is and re-evaluate.

Check back in here with it, and I’ll try and give you some more advice

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean a 503 with your gpa would pry get you into a DO school, depending on the rest of your app, but you also don't want to rush things and if you end up getting sub 500, then you would have a real problem. I would void and retake later. If you are going DO only, as long as you have everything in by thanksgiving you should be good.

I wrote AAMC FL 1 3 days ago and scored a 503 (125,125,125,128)- I'm testing on 07/20. At this point, I can't reschedule or postpone the exam, so I must take it. Should I begin to look into the possibility of voiding and retaking the exam in September? I have a 3.17 sGPA and a 3.48 cGPA. I'm trying to not let the score get to me so I can stay focused but I realize that I should probably get some experienced advice before I make a silly decision. Worthy to note that I am applying only DO and would be willing to take an acceptance anywhere if given the opportunity.
You can always retake later in the cycle, whether you void or not.

Be that as it may, once should not take the MCAT if you not ready./

As the wise @gonnif points out, the problem with voiding is that most test takers don't have the discipline to do that.

I mean a 503 with your gpa would pry get you into a DO school, depending on the rest of your app, but you also don't want to rush things and if you end up getting sub 500, then you would have a real problem. I would void and retake later. If you are going DO only, as long as you have everything in by thanksgiving you should be good.
Exactly in my line of thinking. Really appreciate the advise!

Well, you also have to consider people usually drop 2-5 points from their average FL scores in your range. So you’d be looking at the 498-501 range for actual which would still get you in. If you raise it to an 508 average, people still drop 1-3 points on the actual.

Basically the stress of test day and the intensity lowers people’s scores. It’s not until you’re getting above a 512 that the scores are right on the money with the actual - those kids just “get it.”

I would try and take that second FL Wednesday / Thursday ish, and see what it is and re-evaluate.

Will do!

503 on AAMC FL#2 again; honestly, I think I am going to take it and not void. I've studied so hard for this. Hopefully I get similar to this and can net an acceptance. I will still look to retake in September by doing a lot of practice exams, but as I said, beggars can't be choosers and I would be grateful for an acceptance to any DO school.

@Goro DO schools don't average MCATs or look down upon retakes, correct? It would. therefore, be better to not void with the chance of scoring +2-3 points higher come test result day. (3.5 cGPA, 3.17 sGPA w/good overall app)

@Goro DO schools don't average MCATs or look down upon retakes, correct? It would. therefore, be better to not void with the chance of scoring +2-3 points higher come test result day. (3.5 cGPA, 3.17 sGPA w/good overall app)
My school averages, but retakes are more nuanced. We don't like scores that get worse. A retake and a higher score implies someone wants to get into a MD school. We don't take it personally.

I personally am leery of those people who retake an exceptional score. These are the people who feel "I know I could have done better" types. I dislike perfectionists.

503 on AAMC FL#2 again; honestly, I think I am going to take it and not void. I've studied so hard for this. Hopefully I get similar to this and can net an acceptance. I will still look to retake in September by doing a lot of practice exams, but as I said, beggars can't be choosers and I would be grateful for an acceptance to any DO school.
Consistency is always a good note. I would just be aware of that possible point drop. Also, do not be discouraged if you see that 497 pop up a month after you score comes back. There are some great medical students out there with scores like that. At the end of the day, you have to do that is best for you. Good luck!

Consistency is always a good note. I would just be aware of that possible point drop. Also, do not be discouraged if you see that 497 pop up a month after you score comes back. There are some great medical students out there with scores like that. At the end of the day, you have to do that is best for you. Good luck!

That’s me in a nutshell. Scored a 508 on my last full length felt good about the MCAT ended up with a 498 and wondering wtf happened. Have to push back to next cycle and retest probably in January. In the moment of score release time I sat there staring at it and wondered if I was dumb as a box of rocks and feeling such high levels of self loathing and incompetency.

Perspective helps though. I have a roof over my head food on the table and the ability to retake and try again.

Only good thing is I applied to throwaway schools and won’t be a reapplicant and it’ll look great if I can increase to like a 508 next time around.

Well, how do you feel?
Good haha, I thought it was easier than the FLs even though consensus on Reddit says it was pretty hard. It seemed like it played to my strengths. Hopefully curve helps me out! If I have to end up retaking, I'm gonna do it next year early 2020 but hopefully, that's not the case.