Dental Should I talk about my journey from special education to dentistry in interviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came into college as a D1 football player who in high school was a 2.8 remedial student in special education (IEP).

When I shadowed a dentist for the first time, during the summer after my freshman year in college, I fell in love with the profession. The hands-on team-oriented nature of dentistry was everything I could ever want in a career.

I decided that I was going to do whatever it took to become a dentist. I tried to focus on school while playing ball, but as the semester progressed, I realized that I lacked the study skills and the fundamental knowledge of math and chemistry required to be successful as a pre-dent.

I had to make the hardest decision of my life to quit football (giving up my full scholarship) to pursue dentistry.

My question is, should I talk about the fact that in high school I was in special education?

I fear that knowing this, an admissions committee might doubt my ability to handle an increased course load in dental school.

My reason for including this knowledge is that it adds more context as to why I had to give up football. I don't think most people understand just how large of a time commitment D1 football is. That huge time commitment coupled with my shortcomings as a student really would have prevented me from even achieving the stats that I was able to earn.

My stats
G.P.A 3.3
Science G.P.A 3.3

DAT
AA:19
Total Science:19
Ochem:20
Gen Chem:19
Biology:18
Reading comp:19
Quant: 17
Pat:17
I'll leave this for @Mr.Smile12 to give input on but imo, your GPAs are pretty "okay" but your DAT is on the lower end and is ultimately more concerning for me. Are you planning to apply this coming cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's great advice. I think you just saved me from a major pitfall in my preparation. I'm too locked into how I think these conversations will go. Goro do you have any tips when preparing for interviews? What I've come to realize as of late in regards to my communication style, is that I'm not a great dancing partner.... In the real world, I'm great conversationally, because I'm nearly always in control of the conversation. I'm usually the one speaking first and asking questions. When I'm forced to follow, I'm out of synch and stepping on toes lol. I feel like when the tables are flipped and people are asking me questions I'm caught flat-footed. Hence the tunnel vision on how the conversation will go haha.
Even though this is written for pre-meds, I think the ideas will be universal;
Goro's Guide to Interviews

Absolutely, so I had an individualized education plan (I.E.P). An (I.E.P) is a legal document that allows for learning accommodations for individuals with learning disabilities who require specialized education. My learning disability was ADHD.

(If you have a kid or family member with a learning disability, I would highly suggest looking into connecting them with their school's (I.E.P) program.) It certainly was a huge reason I was able to stay on track academically for football.

Here is a link to a youtube video where they give a more formal idea of what it entails.
What Is an IEP? | Individualized Education Program Explained - YouTube

Anecdotally speaking, what this looks like from a recipient's perspective is a case manager in addition to classroom instruction and accommodations. My accommodations included things like, being able to take tests in a different room, receiving printed-out notes from teachers, getting extra time on assignments, tests, projects, and the ACT, as well as being able to utilize calculators on all math assignments.

Think of a case manager as a guidance counselor. You meet with them periodically to assess how you're performing among other things.

In regards to classroom instruction, the best way I could describe it was a study skills class. Basically, you are learning how to utilize different note-taking techniques, learning about goal setting and accountability, as well as organization. In these classes, you also have time to get help with homework.

In math, I was well below grade-level. I took a math class with freshman and sophomores my senior year. (Think Billy Madison only if he was 6'3 260 haha)
Okay... I'm taking my time thinking about how and when you could disclose this information. You have every right to self-identify your past learning challenges and how you have had to overcome them. I am not entirely sure that there is a universal set of advice on this; while one cannot discriminate against you because of the presence of a disability, each school still has as its concerns the technical requirements for you to complete your education. If your GPA looks solid (which you say it is a 3.3), I'd ask some of the admissions officers about how to approach it. I would certainly say this could belong in discussion of challenges you have overcome and adjustments you have made since high school. Have you been making good use of accommodations while in college? Have you been encouraging others to seek help if they are struggling? If you have shown that you are capable of completing the dental curriculum and are cognizant of how you would manage any learning difficulties, then I think your story would be appropriate. I know that many dentists have to learn how to adjust to patients who have difficulties, and having insight about what it is like would be a plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.