Medical Should I talk about anxiety in secondaries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if talking about anxiety in secondaries would be frowned on? There is a question that asks what type of nonacademic advice I would give my younger self and I feel the only two pieces of advice that I could come up with would be regarding being anxious as a child and the skills I have used to overcome this or talking about the need to worry less about bills as a child and focus more on being a kid. Any help would be great!

Talking about anxiety is not frowned upon. Myriad patients, students, physicians, and professors suffer from anxiety, and it sounds like your struggle with anxiety would be a good topic for this essay.

Members don't see this ad.

This is concerning because I am a reinvented student and I do not want them to think that my early on academic career was hindered to anxiety when it was due to other hurdles.

@Goro most likely didn't mean to say that your anxiety will be seen as the reason for any negative parts of your GPA. Anxiety is not a red flag. It is not even a pink flag. If you can write about your anxiety in a way that shows that it helps you empathize with patients, you can turn your anxiety into something positive.

This is concerning because I am a reinvented student and I do not want them to think that my early on academic career was hindered to anxiety when it was due to other hurdles.
You're missing the point. Mental health issues have cratered a lot of GPAs. Then the student got help, and then reinvented themselves. This showed that the candidates of now were not the candidates of then, and thus Adcoms would have no qualms about a history of mental health issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.