Should I take step 1 scored or pass/fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Colinoscopy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current M2. Been grinding hard on lightyear and sketchy pharm/micro cards all year. Consistently scoring above average on our NBMEs. My school takes step relatively early between late Jan and early Feb. which means I have the option to take it scored. Should I?

I don’t want to do anything highly competitive, more low-middle of the road like EM or anesthesia. I was thinking having a score might stand out on residency apps but also realizing now that spending less time studying for step 1 (just enough to pass) means I could put more time into extracurriculars and just have better mental health. Additionally, all the hard work I've put in studying for Step 1 will pay off regardless for step 2.

Thanks for any input :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’d get it scored if you are scoring high. If you take a practice test a week before and do poorly, push it back to P/F timing. It would help your app I think

Ok. Logic as to why? I'm leaning more towards pass/fail the more people I talk to about it.
1. MUCH less stress emotionally
2. I understand that right now you are not considering competitive specialties. But what if during M3 you fall in love with surgery? Radiology? Something else? Have modest or average step 1 scored might mess things up for you. But pass-fail, - no one will know. Then during M3/early M4 you could step up your game, get a NICE step 2 score (usually people score higher on step 2), add some research, and this will give you more option. Imagine a feeling - you get 230 or around that (not a bad score at all!!) and than fall in love with thoracic surgery? or neurosurgery? or radiology? Imagine that feeling or regret, knowing that it will be really hard to get it with your score, and knowing that if you just waited 2 months to take it, you would've been able to apply? That would be such a horrible feeling.
3. The only case i would recommend for you to take graded, if you take a uworld 1 or 2 over winter break and get 245+. Then i'd say go for it. Otherwise, - hell no.

Reactions: 1 user
1. MUCH less stress emotionally
2. I understand that right now you are not considering competitive specialties. But what if during M3 you fall in love with surgery? Radiology? Something else? Have modest or average step 1 scored might mess things up for you. But pass-fail, - no one will know. Then during M3/early M4 you could step up your game, get a NICE step 2 score (usually people score higher on step 2), add some research, and this will give you more option. Imagine a feeling - you get 230 or around that (not a bad score at all!!) and than fall in love with thoracic surgery? or neurosurgery? or radiology? Imagine that feeling or regret, knowing that it will be really hard to get it with your score, and knowing that if you just waited 2 months to take it, you would've been able to apply? That would be such a horrible feeling.
3. The only case i would recommend for you to take graded, if you take a uworld 1 or 2 over winter break and get 245+. Then i'd say go for it. Otherwise, - hell no.
Excellent points. How hard is it to actually reschedule the exam though/push it like 2-3 weeks further out to cross the p/f threshold date? I've heard this may not be as easy as people once thought due to covid restrictions.

Excellent points. How hard is it to actually reschedule the exam though/push it like 2-3 weeks further out to cross the p/f threshold date? I've heard this may not be as easy as people once thought due to covid restrictions.
Super easy to change the date once you already scheduled the first exam . I changed my date 3 times .

what is "high" to you? haha
It’s a questions for you to answer. But you know, you’d be dumb not to get a 240s test scored if that’s what you’d get anyway.

it’s easy to change the test date. I’d try to not stress about it. Take uworld and nbme, and if you’re rocking high scores, then score. Delay and P/F if the scores aren’t high

for the record, I got a 220 on step and am below average academically, I also study less than most students and care about lifestyle. I just wouldn’t give up a high score if you are in that bracket. NBMEs destroy most people at your stage, so if you are doing okay, probably want to take the test scored. Most people will improve 40-50 points over baseline NBME

It’s a questions for you to answer. But you know, you’d be dumb not to get a 240s test scored if that’s what you’d get anyway.

it’s easy to change the test date. I’d try to not stress about it. Take uworld and nbme, and if you’re rocking high scores, then score. Delay and P/F if the scores aren’t high

for the record, I got a 220 on step and am below average academically, I also study less than most students and care about lifestyle. I just wouldn’t give up a high score if you are in that bracket. NBMEs destroy most people at your stage, so if you are doing okay, probably want to take the test scored. Most people will improve 40-50 points over baseline NBME
That rare freak accident on SDN where someone failed Step 1 after like 240s on NBME still gives me nightmares. Sometimes i think it's an SDN only phenonenon where people go in their extremes to post negative stuff but geez.

I agree with you though

That rare freak accident on SDN where someone failed Step 1 after like 240s on NBME still gives me nightmares. Sometimes i think it's an SDN only phenonenon where people go in their extremes to post negative stuff but geez.

I agree with you though
Yeah that was so scary (you are talking about that recent post, right )? Taking mine next spring , then step 2 in summer, and definitely feel anxious

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that was so scary (you are talking about that recent post, right )? Taking mine next spring , then step 2 in summer, and definitely feel anxious
Yep. Good luck with Step prep! Definitely better to stay off these forums during prep and just work hard and hope for the best. That thread really made it convincing to really really tackle on every single weakness hard.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep. Good luck with Step prep! Definitely better to stay off these forums during prep and just work hard and hope for the best. That thread really made it convincing to really really tackle on every single weakness hard.
Yeah thank you . I am more of a person who sort of sucks evenly throughout vs certain topics hahshs (heavy anki user, etc, tutored all M1 courses, etc). So hopefully I’ll pass .

I agree with you though
Risk benefit on that. SD of 8 for the exam. So falling more than 24 points is 3SD which is so incredibly unlikely

It's simple in concept but difficult in practice. I would say if you can confidently score >240 then take it scored. That means that your practice exams are consistently >250 or so. If you can't do that, then take it P/F.

Reactions: 2 users
As a current M2, most of your class will be p/f anyways since you're in the class of 2024.

If you were an M3 though, I would take it for a score since most of the class will be scored (unless you go to a T20 where your school's prestige can carry)

PDs will be screening/sorting the stack by Step 2 CK for your cohort. No real benefit to scoring your Step 1, if it was me I'd take it P/F and take a nice vacation during your dedicated period.

Current M2. Been grinding hard on lightyear and sketchy pharm/micro cards all year. Consistently scoring above average on our NBMEs. My school takes step relatively early between late Jan and early Feb. which means I have the option to take it scored. Should I?

I don’t want to do anything highly competitive, more low-middle of the road like EM or anesthesia. I was thinking having a score might stand out on residency apps but also realizing now that spending less time studying for step 1 (just enough to pass) means I could put more time into extracurriculars and just have better mental health. Additionally, all the hard work I've put in studying for Step 1 will pay off regardless for step 2.

Thanks for any input :)
Take scored absolutely if you can break 240. If you think you can barely pass and get 190s/200s, take when it's P/F.

Some programs will likely blind the score. Some programs will not blind the score. So if you have a good numerical score, it can only help you some places.

Views you get on this are speculative at best. You should just be aware that the importance of Step 1 will be non-uniform across all programs, so you might as well just get a good numerical score if you're capable.

It's simple in concept but difficult in practice. I would say if you can confidently score >240 then take it scored. That means that your practice exams are consistently >250 or so. If you can't do that, then take it P/F.
Yes. This. Take scored if you can break 240. If you're in the 210-240 middle ground, it's grey area. Probably a matter of one's confidence truthfully.