Should I take a pay cut to be a VA pharmacist??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ekbrx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been offered a job with the VA that would be ~ a 15,000$ pay cut from my current retail floating position. It is daytime hours, and every 6th weekend. These hours appeal to me because I have a child. I am conflicted because I will have increased mortgage costs hitting around September. I have ran all the numbers in my monthly budget and will be able to get by, things will just be tighter. I tried to negotiate pay and submitted pay stubs, but they stuck with their original offer. I was just hoping to reach current VA employees, or other pharmacists that have taken a pay cut that can offer me any advice on this decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have been offered a job with the VA that would be ~ a 15,000$ pay cut from my current retail floating position. It is daytime hours, and every 6th weekend. These hours appeal to me because I have a 2 year old. I am conflicted because I am currently building a new home and will have increased mortgage costs hitting around September. I have ran all the numbers in my monthly budget and will be able to get by, things will just be tighter. I tried to negotiate pay and submitted pay stubs, but they stuck with their original offer. I was just hoping to reach current VA employees, or other pharmacists that have taken a pay cut that can offer me any advice on this decision.
You can't buy back time with your kid

Reactions: 14 users
Also, have you looked at overall compensation, not just salary? 401k match, pension, PTO, insurance premiums, dental premiums? This stuff matters a ton. I'm looking at offers now, and one place that offered me 10k more in salary than another turned out to be about 10k lower in compensation after I actually looked at the numbers of all of those things. This can be a big swing.

Reactions: 6 users
I wouldn't even think twice. Take the job. There will be room to grow.

Reactions: 6 users
In my experience, VA jobs tend to be less stress. Specifically for outpatient, there are way fewer phone calls, it's easy to access the patient's records from any VA facility, and the workload is lighter. There are downsides like the relatively low pay, Choice prescriptions suck, and there are different kinds of issues than what you would encounter in retail, but on the whole it's not bad. I guess I should put a disclaimer that every VA is different and I've only been at 2, but in general I think people get a better work/life balance in the VA.

Reactions: 5 users
Government positions are not geared towards the fiscal bottom line. Such a difference cannot be measured. The entire work environment has a different perspective.

Reactions: 3 users
Take it. For sure. And help me get in too... Benefits, job security, and qol are way too good to pass up for just 15k....

To give you some perspective I would be willing to move almost anywhere in the US for a federal job....

Reactions: 4 users
$15,000 pre-tax is nothing, I would take that offer yesterday. Especially over a floating retail position where hours probably aren't even guaranteed.

$15k is nothing, and the amount you have to put away for an equivalent retirement will probably put this position on equivalent footing.

Take the VA job!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Do you have loans? If so, is this an EDRP position? If the answer is yes, then that difference is almost eliminated. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about the VA.

Why do you say this? do you have examples that can help me?

Structured pay raise schedule
Formal pension plan
Government benefits
Federal holidays
Ability to work for a VA anywhere without needing to reciprocate a license
Family

You can work per diem for some retail joint a couple days a month if that 15K really and truly means anything to you

Members don't see this ad :)
You can work per diem for some retail joint a couple days a month if that 15K really and truly means anything to you
I had a coworker in this same situation. She took a pay-cut for a hospital position, and continued working retail to make up the difference. She quit doing the retail thing all-together a couple months in saying it wasn't worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a coworker in this same situation. She took a pay-cut for a hospital position, and continued working retail to make up the difference. She quit doing the retail thing all-together a couple months in saying it wasn't worth it.

That's what I keep being told is the prn stuff wont last long.... I am really just hoping for a better QOL.

Gov hospital job vs floating retail. Way better benefits, staff position for 15,000 less, after tax is only 10,000 or $5 less/hr. This is a no brainer decision... I'd take it in a heart beat.

Not to rain on the parade, even though I work in the VA, it actually depends on the VA. There are certain VA's that are very unpleasant to work for mostly due to management or budget hits. There is also the consideration that you are a woman, and yes, there is a real difference in patient interactions when you are a woman with some of our veterans. Such are things that most people don't get before they come in. As of late, there also is an increase of disrespect toward the operational pharmacists from the clinical if the two are separated jobwise (some stations do, and some station don't rotate). And then there is the bureaucracy...

The five stations I would not work unless I was going to transfer quickly:
Iron Mountain, WI
Palo Alto, CA
Seattle, WA (Medical staff in near rebellion)
Eastern Colorado (Denver), CO
Greater Los Angeles, CA (They finally got around to sacking that idiot Chief, but it's still a holy mess)

That said, it is unusual that the pay differential is that little. On compensation matters, the nonpecuniary (including daycare!) offsets the salary loss easily. The hours are generally reasonable, and the work is fairly straightforward with some office politics depending on how large the station is.

Reactions: 5 users
Not to rain on the parade, even though I work in the VA, it actually depends on the VA. There are certain VA's that are very unpleasant to work for mostly due to management or budget hits. There is also the consideration that you are a woman, and yes, there is a real difference in patient interactions when you are a woman with some of our veterans. Such are things that most people don't get before they come in. As of late, there also is an increase of disrespect toward the operational pharmacists from the clinical if the two are separated jobwise (some stations do, and some station don't rotate). And then there is the bureaucracy...

Iron Mountain, WI
Palo Alto, CA
Greater Los Angeles, CA (They finally got around to sacking that idiot Chief, but it's still a holy mess)

That said, it is unusual that the pay differential is that little. On compensation matters, the nonpecuniary (including daycare!) offsets the salary loss easily. The hours are generally reasonable, and the work is fairly straightforward with some office politics depending on how large the station is.

Yeah, I've heard not-so-great things about a few of the stations you listed. Do you think the associated CBOCs are any different/better?

That's what I keep being told is the prn stuff wont last long.... I am really just hoping for a better QOL.

I've been working one extra weekend a month for over a year now and it's very manageable. I easily bring in 15k that way. When your job is low stress and not physically demanding it's pretty easy to pick up extra shifts.

Iron Mountain, WI
Palo Alto, CA

Agreed on 2 of those (1 from what I've heard, 1 from personal experience).

Take the job and don't look back. The quality of life benefits can't be measured by salary.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with others to take the job. My local VA was hiring about a year ago and the posting was upfront regarding salary at $37/hr, this would have been a 30 dollar per hour paycut and I couldn't justify it at the time. The longer I'm in retail with one of the big 3 the more appealing it looks however.

The VA has a pay scale that rises every year. You can advance to any department. 26 days off a year. Do you not have a friend that works at the VA?

Pharmacist Transition Support - VA Careers

Let me know how that works out when you topcode, there is a ceiling actually which is kind of frustrating when you need to recruit Associate Chief and Chief Positions as they are essentially equivalent pay with only differences in retention.

Again, I like the VA and all, but I like to keep it realistic in the sense that there are quite valid reasons (besides the noncompetitive pay) that are worth thinking about before jumping in. My biggest issue is how often pharmacy loses to the bureaucracy over fights like paying for certifications and on quality of work life issues. Also, caring for veterans is a very different proposition than caring for the general public, which is something that I really try hard to get across to prospective pharmacist employees as many quit because they don't quite get it in terms of the increased difficulty from the general community (and you can't kick out a patient and even some things that would probably draw charges, the VA just accepts as part of the illness matters).

The overall compensation is quite fair though, and the work environment and the security of longevity is something good. It's not for everyone, but it is a good job for those willing to work under those circumstances. They are different, not better or worse than retail or institutional. (At one point, the VA was definitely a worse place to work, which is why the old generation that are pre-1994 are pretty lousy around here.)

I would say I really enjoy the VA. I initially took a 30k a year paycut but after a few raises/promotion (and will get a quick ~8k bump when bcps certified which I plan to take soon) am down about 22K from where I would be with raises in retail., or 17k in original salary difference after just 2 years.

However, I am only familiar with one VA personally and I would recommend this VA for anyone at this time over retail. Great hours 8-430, no weekends, etc. Great leadership, bosses, and peers. I think it highly depends on your schedule and preferences as well as the VA itself. For myself it was worth it all day. However, the pay cut was hard to stomach at first.

Reactions: 4 users
just do it...you can always go back to the factory line later

just do it...you can always go back to the factory line later

And by that, you can put yourself out to pasture by working at the internal Mail Order locations (CMOP in VA parlance). Many do, it's where VA pharmacist careers go to die besides quality management.

Do it, just work per diem at your retail gig two Saturdays a month. Retail is actually kind of fun when you only have to do it a couple of times a month, it's a breath of fresh air from the basement of the hospital.

When you switch to per diem, you should also get a rate increase since they no longer provide benefits. I went from $56/hr->$62. I still accrue PTO, which amounts to ~2 days a year, and cash that out.

You can add the 10 paid holidays to that salary figure as well (8 hours x your hourly rate x 10 holidays per year...they don't include this money in your salary calculation but you'll see it on your paychecks). I've stayed PRN at CVS for over a year now while working at the VA and I can work as much or as little as I want for them. The flexibility has been great. You'll get 5% 401k match plus a retirement pension with the VA. You can't top that. Pay raises will be higher (mine have been more than double what my CVS pay raises have been....4.5% from VA this year vs. 2% from CVS this year). Your pay will climb quickly. Vaca is better of course as well, and no black out periods for vaca like retail industry does (I couldn't ever request off in December with CVS). Take the job!

You can add the 10 paid holidays to that salary figure as well (8 hours x your hourly rate x 10 holidays per year...they don't include this money in your salary calculation but you'll see it on your paychecks). I've stayed PRN at CVS for over a year now while working at the VA and I can work as much or as little as I want for them. The flexibility has been great. You'll get 5% 401k match plus a retirement pension with the VA. You can't top that. Pay raises will be higher (mine have been more than double what my CVS pay raises have been....4.5% from VA this year vs. 2% from CVS this year). Your pay will climb quickly. Vaca is better of course as well, and no black out periods for vaca like retail industry does (I couldn't ever request off in December with CVS). Take the job!

I was iffy on the pension at first because the 4.4% deduction... but with a little time to think it over the long term benefits of it are good... and I belive you are vested after 5 years correct?

I would take it! Keep in consideration: the VA will have good health insurance and a great benefits package, and health insurance can take out a substantial portion of income. So you may be getting back some of the income that you lost in the benefits, so to speak. I don't know if you still have student loans, but if you work for a government facility for a long enough period of time, some will reduce your total loans through loan forgiveness.

I was iffy on the pension at first because the 4.4% deduction... but with a little time to think it over the long term benefits of it are good... and I belive you are vested after 5 years correct?

FERS (pension) info:
4.4% of your pay may sound like an OUCH! deduction to pay for a pension. Break it down though and it's a mind blowing killer awesome deal. You will pay approximately $150-200k for your pension (that 4.4% deduction) if you work for VA for 30 years. Here's the math on the pension you will receive when you retire though: highest 3 salary avg x 1% x years of service (max of 30 for calculation). Let's assume your highest 3 salary avg = $150k x 1% x 30 years = $45k/year in retirement you'll earn from that pension. So, it'll take you about 4 years into retirement to break even on what you paid for that pension while you worked. Incredible! Regardless of what market is doing, you take home that moola each year in retirement. That's security folks.

And, yes, you're vested in the pension after 5 years of service. If you leave the VA before then...well...you just flushed 4.4% of your pay x however many years you worked there.

TSP (401k) info:
VA matches 5% on your 401k contributions. You're immediately fully vested in your own contributions + first 4% that VA matches. Another sweet deal, amen? Remaining 1% that VA matches you will become fully vested in after 3 years of service.

FERS (pension) info:
4.4% of your pay may sound like an OUCH! deduction to pay for a pension. Break it down though and it's a mind blowing killer awesome deal. You will pay approximately $150-200k for your pension (that 4.4% deduction) if you work for VA for 30 years. Here's the math on the pension you will receive when you retire though: highest 3 salary avg x 1% x years of service (max of 30 for calculation). Let's assume your highest 3 salary avg = $150k x 1% x 30 years = $45k/year in retirement you'll earn from that pension. So, it'll take you about 4 years into retirement to break even on what you paid for that pension while you worked. Incredible! Regardless of what market is doing, you take home that moola each year in retirement. That's security folks.

And, yes, you're vested in the pension after 5 years of service. If you leave the VA before then...well...you just flushed 4.4% of your pay x however many years you worked there.

TSP (401k) info:
VA matches 5% on your 401k contributions. You're immediately fully vested in your own contributions + first 4% that VA matches. Another sweet deal, amen? Remaining 1% that VA matches you will become fully vested in after 3 years of service.

That is a simple calculation that doesn't take into the time value of money. Let's make a more accurate calculation.

If you make 107k (real salary as a step 2 that currently maxes out at the high 130's per year) and assume a 2% salary growth over 30 years. This is actually a little optimistic in today's political climate as we have had 0% COLA and 1% COLA raises recently as pharmacists don't get locality pay raises and just the across the board raises.

If you do the above in a 401k calculator and save 4.4% of your salary and get a 5% yearly return (this is quite low and should be easily attainable) you would have $606,878 after 30 years. With a 7% return you have $850,063 after 30 years, and truly the 7% is more accurate considering history. But we will look at both scenarios.

With your stated 45k per year in pension salary it would take you 13.5 years to break even with your 5% return. And this doesn't take into account any money you earn on that huge stack of cash that you don't touch every year. Even in today's historically low bond prices you can earn a safe 2-3% return in the G fund which is a cool $14000 the first year you retire with a 2.5% rate on 560k.

With your 7% return you are looking at 18.8 years to break even. And again this isn't giving you ANY interest on your huge stack of cash, so realistically you are looking at a much longer period to break through.

In addition, your total FERS benefit is your contribution plus the employee portion which is about 8ish%. WTH are they doing with all this money when clearly just getting normal market returns would come out to way better outcomes. If you got 12.4% of your salary saved (8+4.4% that is being paid into it) you would have 1.4 million after 30 years at 5% return and 1.98 million at 7%.

In short I have no idea what the world these people are investing the money in as it clearly isn't getting anywhere near historical returns. In addition with the average lifespan if you got the historical returns on JUST YOUR CONTRIBUTION you most likely die before you break even, this isn't including the huge employer match.

I for one would much rather have my employer up there TSP match by 8% to a 13% match and let me opt out of my pension. Thus increasing my AFTER TAX salary by 4.4% and giving me a huge boost in my retirement savings.

Now a killer awesome deal is the 0.8% that pre-2013 employees pay. That is a huge win. I still have no idea what the govt is doing with the money as they are still getting the same overall portion saved, the govt is just paying more.

I would take VA over anything and I only have intern experience

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Pick VA. There is no doubt about it. I took a government state job and have never looked back.

Now a killer awesome deal is the 0.8% that pre-2013 employees pay. That is a huge win. I still have no idea what the govt is doing with the money as they are still getting the same overall portion saved, the govt is just paying more.

https://www.fedsmith.com/2014/04/07/fers-fers-rae-fers-frae-what-does-all-this-mean/

To offset bankrupt CSRS, RAE (2013-2014 only) and FRAE pensioners have to pay an additional stupid tax of 3.6%. So, the 0.8% is all that is necessary to pay out the actuarial fair pension in the future (so little for so much, really sad that we can't pass such a policy for a National Pension system).

So, those employed from the really old days didn't pay enough into the CSRS pension system in order for them to "deserve" the payouts that they have achieved. That's coming out of 2014 and after employees.

On the other hand for pharmacists, you all are getting paid at market rates, when everyone else who joined prior to 2013 were knowingly paid beneath market rates. It offsets one way or the other. I just don't have to fund those CSRS codgers unlike the young.

The high price of free stuff, I suppose. It's better to receive than to give.

Not VA, but I initially took a $30k pay cut to go from retail to hospital. Worth it every damn day. Like others here, I pick up 1-2 relief shifts a month and the overall difference in pay is negligible.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
That is a simple calculation that doesn't take into the time value of money. Let's make a more accurate calculation.

If you make 107k (real salary as a step 2 that currently maxes out at the high 130's per year) and assume a 2% salary growth over 30 years. This is actually a little optimistic in today's political climate as we have had 0% COLA and 1% COLA raises recently as pharmacists don't get locality pay raises and just the across the board raises.

If you do the above in a 401k calculator and save 4.4% of your salary and get a 5% yearly return (this is quite low and should be easily attainable) you would have $606,878 after 30 years. With a 7% return you have $850,063 after 30 years, and truly the 7% is more accurate considering history. But we will look at both scenarios.

With your stated 45k per year in pension salary it would take you 13.5 years to break even with your 5% return. And this doesn't take into account any money you earn on that huge stack of cash that you don't touch every year. Even in today's historically low bond prices you can earn a safe 2-3% return in the G fund which is a cool $14000 the first year you retire with a 2.5% rate on 560k.

With your 7% return you are looking at 18.8 years to break even. And again this isn't giving you ANY interest on your huge stack of cash, so realistically you are looking at a much longer period to break through.

In addition, your total FERS benefit is your contribution plus the employee portion which is about 8ish%. WTH are they doing with all this money when clearly just getting normal market returns would come out to way better outcomes. If you got 12.4% of your salary saved (8+4.4% that is being paid into it) you would have 1.4 million after 30 years at 5% return and 1.98 million at 7%.

In short I have no idea what the world these people are investing the money in as it clearly isn't getting anywhere near historical returns. In addition with the average lifespan if you got the historical returns on JUST YOUR CONTRIBUTION you most likely die before you break even, this isn't including the huge employer match.

I for one would much rather have my employer up there TSP match by 8% to a 13% match and let me opt out of my pension. Thus increasing my AFTER TAX salary by 4.4% and giving me a huge boost in my retirement savings.

I said nothing about expecting a 2% salary raise over 30 years. It seems you question the ability to reach $150k annually for a pharmacist with the VA by the time they retire though and, thus, then subsequently be eligible to earn a calculated $45k pension in retirement for 30 years of service. Currently, in my region, the max out is at $134,469 for a rph working day shift and never earning a single lick of shift differential (highly unlikely). So long as there is a 1% increase in salary a minimum of 11 times before a person's retirement, that base salary max out figure will be pushed to >$150k annually. I'm optimistic of that very real possibility. For someone who wants to boost their Highest 3 Salary Average even higher than $150k, a 3 year stint pulling overnights makes for a sweet deal. An overnight rph can already earn over that future forecasted $150k figure at the VA. Current max out salary in my region, with all differentials included, for a night shift rph is $163,043. That's current figures...no future forecasting.

I'm in agreeance with you in regards to "WTH are they doing with all this money when clearly just getting normal market returns would come out to way better outcomes." My focus is on what the government benefits will do for me though. FERS pension allows me to retire at the age of 57 years old with 30 years of service, and start collecting a pension immediately at that age while social security and 401k will still not allow me/will ding me with penalties if I touch that retirement money earlier than 59.5 years old (for 401k). The VA allows me to do something very few other employers will; retire at age 57, WITH an income! What I love about FERS pension most is the protection it offers from market volatility. While you state that the history of the market can return more for your money, and I do not disagree with you on this, I would still support having a FERS pension for the minor 4.4% that they take out of my paycheck in exchange for the security it offers should there be any market crashes in my years of retirement. During the years of any market crashes in the future, I plan to not touch my 401k and only live off of my FERS pension and other investments outside my 401k until the market rebounds. It's an invaluable feeling of security knowing that I will receive $45k/year regardless of the state of the market, and that I can avoid withdrawals from my 401k during bad times and still live comfortably in retirement. Sound sleeping is priceless. The original poster of this thread wished to know whether to take a job with the government or some other employer. I'm not touting that the government manages their money well. I'm stating that they offer a superior retirement package to others that would be hard to match anywhere else, and that an initial paycut would be worth it in the end.

I said nothing about expecting a 2% salary raise over 30 years. It seems you question the ability to reach $150k annually for a pharmacist with the VA by the time they retire though and, thus, then subsequently be eligible to earn a calculated $45k pension in retirement for 30 years of service. Currently, in my region, the max out is at $134,469 for a rph working day shift and never earning a single lick of shift differential (highly unlikely). So long as there is a 1% increase in salary a minimum of 11 times before a person's retirement, that base salary max out figure will be pushed to >$150k annually. I'm optimistic of that very real possibility. For someone who wants to boost their Highest 3 Salary Average even higher than $150k, a 3 year stint pulling overnights makes for a sweet deal. An overnight rph can already earn over that future forecasted $150k figure at the VA. Current max out salary in my region, with all differentials included, for a night shift rph is $163,043. That's current figures...no future forecasting.

I'm in agreeance with you in regards to "WTH are they doing with all this money when clearly just getting normal market returns would come out to way better outcomes." My focus is on what the government benefits will do for me though. FERS pension allows me to retire at the age of 57 years old with 30 years of service, and start collecting a pension immediately at that age while social security and 401k will still not allow me/will ding me with penalties if I touch that retirement money earlier than 59.5 years old (for 401k). The VA allows me to do something very few other employers will; retire at age 57, WITH an income! What I love about FERS pension most is the protection it offers from market volatility. While you state that the history of the market can return more for your money, and I do not disagree with you on this, I would still support having a FERS pension for the minor 4.4% that they take out of my paycheck in exchange for the security it offers should there be any market crashes in my years of retirement. During the years of any market crashes in the future, I plan to not touch my 401k and only live off of my FERS pension and other investments outside my 401k until the market rebounds. It's an invaluable feeling of security knowing that I will receive $45k/year regardless of the state of the market, and that I can avoid withdrawals from my 401k during bad times and still live comfortably in retirement. Sound sleeping is priceless. The original poster of this thread wished to know whether to take a job with the government or some other employer. I'm not touting that the government manages their money well. I'm stating that they offer a superior retirement package to others that would be hard to match anywhere else, and that an initial paycut would be worth it in the end.

What people don't remember about the VA is that it was only since 2005 that the Special Pay Authority was passed. In 2008, the Special Pay Authority for Physical Therapist was allowed to lapse, and their salaries fell to the GS schedule at 12 and above.

Remember that the way it works is that you are guaranteed the GS scale and the locality pay for your area, that's it. So long as PBM SHG can keep a Special Pay Authority for the 0660 class of employee will there be a pay differential. Pharmacists currently in the VA system average between $115-$128k at the moment (with lows at $85k and highs at the SES floor at $159k). Bonuses and pay accession change that (that's why the Chiefs, VISN staffs, VHACO, and VACO staffs on paper make the same but are actually quite different) which can figure into retirement. However, that SPA can be revoked (and it is considered unfair to the pharmacists working in any job but VA right now), and we revert back to the General Schedule.

By the time you retire, at the very worst, I would expect that you would make the GS-12 Step 10 locality pay for your area, not the pharmacist salary. What I expect (which is better than the worst case) is that you will retire with one grade up in the official GS (so if you are a GS-12 pharmacist, you would retire as a standard GS-13 Step 10 civil servant). I do not expect nonsupervisory and nontechnical (technical being the ADPAC, QM, BCMA Coordinator, PE, RD) pharmacists to retain GS-13 as a rank, I have a strong feeling that the next Handbook reorg will reclassify those back to GS-12. But, I do not expect payband increases like what is happening to medicine (they are grossly underpaid in the VA right now) or NP/CRNA (which the NP's are still pathetically paid less than a GS-12 Step 1 pharmacist and the most senior Nurse III is paid less than a mid-grade pharmacist 12 on the Nurse III scale) which most of the policy staff have targeted for pay adjustments. You would come at the end of the good times cycle for VA.

The issue though is whether or not the lot of us are going to survive the next RIF. That's an argument that's yet to be made seriously. Usually attrition does it, but there are not too many pharmacists who retire from civil service. Think about this way, I'm 15 years into civil service, and the percentage of 0660 personnel who have Career Conditional Entry Dates within my year (so a year before July 2004 and after) and are still FTE somewhere in the civil service is less than 20% and we've not even gone through a RIF in that time. And yes, the Office of the Actuary has to calculate these attrition rates in order to price our unemployment insurance with the state.

I don't consider anyone credibly an employee until they hit their career tenure (3 years) and not lasting unless they hit benefits tenure (5 years). Most fail to keep themselves employed even that long here.

Also, it's not possible to raise your salary even through overtime over the Executive Schedule Floor, period, even with Title 38. While you do earn overtime, that does not figure into your pension unlike some screwed up states (thank you Reagan for that reform). My FERS and your FRAE are off your official salary with pay adjustment.

Why I do like the government package is the same reason I like the DoD package. You won't get rich off it, but they do take care of you. Having the FEHB health insurance plan is really awesome for catastrophic matters, and the pension is not bad at all even if the market way exceeds that. So long as you aren't junior staff, there aren't grey-haired layoffs either. There are a lucky few who did better in the private sector, but by and large, I agree with the actuaries that most would have been better off with a defined benefit plan rather than a defined contribution plan if the entity did not go bankrupt.

One last warning as it is a temptation. Some of us work in positions that are not scheduled as pharmacists anymore (me being one of them). Should you find yourself in that position, you have to argue on pay grounds whether you retain the SPA. Let's say it's an even proposition and it really depends on the circumstances and the person. In my case, I retained it due to the fact that I was recruited for the position. However, there are many pharmacists working careers as FACHE staff who give up the pay for power.

No I agree with the high possibility of my base salary being 150k in 30ish years. I was assuming the 2% salary raise for my calculations on the break even point of the pension. I said that is probably optimistic (my 2% salary raise yearly figure) due to the fact it would put me at $193K in 30 years and I doubt I will get there. If you look at the numbers and how much the government is contributing. You would be far better off with an additional 8% match in your 401k as long as the world doesn't go to waste. Lets say you have to contribute 9.4% of your salary to get a 13% match (pretty much what the govt gives now in combined pension/tsp matches) plus your 5% tsp plus 4.4% pension. This would net you 1.33 million after 30 years on a 3% return which is literally investing all your money in the G fund. At year 30 you would be earning 39K a year in interest alone that you could withdraw without touching your principle balance. The above figures also figure that you get an annual 1% raise yearly which is reasonable.

If you take it further and max out your tsp plus get your 13% match you are at 1.77 million after 30 years on a 3% return (again pretty much a savings rate and not even investing in stocks). This nets you a cool 52k a year in interest after 30 years, which allows you to draw 52 k a year without touching the principle.

If you look at just a historical conservative return of 7% you are looking at 3.462 million earning you around 230k a year in money after 30 years. I would personally rather take my chances with the market and get an additional 8% match (which would cost me nothing since I max out my 401k) so I would essential get a 4.4% increase in my take home pay as well. I know I am in the minority however, it would be nice to have the option to opt out and have it increase your tsp match.

If they get rid of our special pay and revert us back to the normal pay scale which from my calculations is a 30k paycut. I won't be working here.

Take the VA job! Retail will only get worse!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For someone with 6 years of federal experience, what GS-12 step should a person be hired on? Is step negotiable? Are vacation days negotiable?

For someone with 6 years of federal experience, what GS-12 step should a person be hired on? Is step negotiable? Are vacation days negotiable?

Are you currently federal and GS-11? They have a formula for this. They equate your GS-11 pay to whatever your GS-12 pay would be, and add 2 steps. For example, when I went from GS12 to GS13, I went from a 12-5 to a 13-4. Step is usually non-negotiable unless there is another factor involved (e.g. taking a paycut to go to area with higher cost of living). Vacation days are non-negotiable.

Are you currently federal and GS-11? They have a formula for this. They equate your GS-11 pay to whatever your GS-12 pay would be, and add 2 steps. For example, when I went from GS12 to GS13, I went from a 12-5 to a 13-4. Step is usually non-negotiable unless there is another factor involved (e.g. taking a paycut to go to area with higher cost of living). Vacation days are non-negotiable.

I'm currently active duty O-4 rank, looking to separate from the Corps.

I'm currently active duty O-4 rank, looking to separate from the Corps.

That's different. I responded elsewhere, but you're looking at minimum Step 4 (as in, if the local PSB boards you lower, it's going to be overruled at the VISN or National levels immediately to a Step 4 or higher if sent for secondary review). Depending on other matters, it goes between 4 and 7 normally if appointed at 12 based on TIG. You have eligibility to be appointed at a 13 or 14 immediately though if you find the right job (O-4 to GS articulation is considered to be a 13 right now). Note that within the VA, the only positions at the hospital level are supervisory, and there are only a few technical 14's in the entire VA. Going to GS-12 is considered a demotion from O-4, and there is petition eligibility to set your step immediately at 10 depending on circumstances.

Make it a point though if you exit directly into VA that your DD-214 and DEERS accounts are in order and that you are given the option to buy service credit time beforehand. I'd make it a point to start saving now for that transition if you're going to do that. This goes without saying, but you do need to separate under H, G, or M discharges. There is a ban on hiring OTH and ELS (not your case) discharges that requires DC approval to even consider (not likely for pharmacists).

Are you currently federal and GS-11? They have a formula for this. They equate your GS-11 pay to whatever your GS-12 pay would be, and add 2 steps. For example, when I went from GS12 to GS13, I went from a 12-5 to a 13-4.

The two-step rule includes locality/specialty pay? Thats significantly more exciting than if you base it off the base payscale

Last edited:
The two-step rule includes locality/specialty pay? Thats significantly more exciting than if you base it off the base payscale

It adjusts for the locality difference. When I went from a 12-5 to 13-4, I actually took a pay cut, since the locality adjustment was lower at my new workplace.