Should I Shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DannyPhantom113

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current 3rd year. I have a week off in September. Is there benefit to shadowing a potential program/programs I want to clerk at next year?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current 3rd year. I have a week off in September. Is there benefit to shadowing a potential program/programs I want to clerk at next year?
Personally I'd say no. You're in capstones and they are stressful no doubt about it. You should use that time to recuperate, relax, and prepare for what the rest of the year has to offer.

I say this because going would barely impact your ability to get in via externship. Most programs make their decisions for students externships off of academics only unfortunately. Going to visit will only improve the likelihood of matching given residents play a role (usually) with this and hopefully remember you, but your time there will likely not affect the people who go into making that decision. In externships, it's usually the program director only and/or clerkship director. Also, given that 4th years will likely want to be doing that now, it's not recommended (in my opinion) that you as a 3rd year be doing that. Take it one step at a time and be sure to get the highest grades possible since you're still in the window of being graded.

I know at Scholl it's either A,B, or Fail. Given this breakdown, getting A's will significantly impact the GPA and as a result, should be given all of your focus as it will be factored in when you apply for the 2nd wave of externships as well as residency.

The only true positive if you did shadow is that you'd get to see what the program (kind of) looks like and gauge is this something you'd want to apply to extern at. However, what I said earlier supersedes this point.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Please don't. Trust me, you'll get plenty of time and exposure when you go onto your clerkships.

I am a current 3rd year
3rd year here. I took a break during our 2 weeks vacation mainly because I realized this is my last summer break before graduation. Much needed after hectic summer! Starting fall semester from Monday with fresh mindset now:giggle: Sometimes we just need a break so take it when you get it!!!

Thank you all, for clarification, I decided to get opinions because of a conversation I had with a classmate. I was very much in the camp of "its not a huge benefit" but didn't want to turn back in a year and be like "I should have".

Believe me, I've been tired and have needed a true week off since March 😅😅