Shadowing a Podiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fzwarrior

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just about ready to apply to med school but I have become very interested in podiatry and was planning on applying to podiatry school instead. I have yet to shadow a podiatrist but I definitely plan on doing so this summer. My question is how to go about asking for a letter of recommendation from someone you barely know. Because this is a recent decision and I plan on applying soon, I have not had time to get to know anyone in the profession. I guess I don't feel right about asking for a letter of recommendation after one day. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Ask for the letter after two or three days then...at that point they will have either offered to write you a letter or it'll "feel right" for you.

Everyone you shadow knows you need letters. Don't feel bad. Just ask.

Just remember that the person you shadow was in your position at one time.

Members don't see this ad :)
^I agree with those statements.

It felt just as awkward for me to do, but I assure you, it won't come as a surprise to the doctor you're shadowing when you finally ask. Chances are, if said DPM was smart enough to finish Pod school and residency, then said DPM is smart enough to know you need a Letter of Rec for entrance.

But I really must follow with this, though:
-When I interviewed at my school, I was immediately told of my acceptance. Then, both, the clinical and basic science interviewers recommended something that will shock many a pre-pod: "You should shadow some more podiatrists. 'Get a grasp of what the profession has in stock for you now and in the future."

-The truth is, shadowing a podiatrist was (and continues to be) as educational and downright fun an experience as can be for me. I'm done with my first year and still look forward to spending a good part of my next vacation doing just that.

-Point being, the doctor you are currently shadowing knows you are limited of time with grad school applications and current (if applicable) course-load. But I'm certain that if you ask for a letter of recommendation it will not stamp your welcome to a close. You could even get it over with on your first handshake and introduction. In the end, there's a true and purposeful benefit to shadowing a doctor in the profession for which you're applying. And that's probably why such is the standard requirement in every professional school.

^I agree with those statements.

It felt just as awkward for me to do, but I assure you, it won't come as a surprise to the doctor you're shadowing when you finally ask. Chances are, if said DPM was smart enough to finish Pod school and residency, then said DPM is smart enough to know you need a Letter of Rec for entrance.

But I really must follow with this, though:
-When I interviewed at my school, I was immediately told of my acceptance. Then, both, the clinical and basic science interviewers recommended something that will shock many a pre-pod: "You should shadow some more podiatrists. 'Get a grasp of what the profession has in stock for you now and in the future."

-The truth is, shadowing a podiatrist was (and continues to be) as educational and downright fun an experience as can be for me. I'm done with my first year and still look forward to spending a good part of my next vacation doing just that.

-Point being, the doctor you are currently shadowing knows you are limited of time with grad school applications and current (if applicable) course-load. But I'm certain that if you ask for a letter of recommendation it will not stamp your welcome to a close. You could even get it over with on your first handshake and introduction. In the end, there's a true and purposeful benefit to shadowing a doctor in the profession for which you're applying. And that's probably why such is the standard requirement in every professional school.

Agreed. Shadowing is the gold standard before applying to either 1) MD, 2) DO, 3) DPM, 4) DDS or DMD (dental), 5) DC (chiropractic),
6) OD (optometry), 7) PhD level psychologist (not MD or DO psychiatrist: easily confused) or 8) ND (naturopath).

SHADOW SHADOW SHADOW before APPLY APPLY APPLY! Even if you are the family member or best friend of one of the 8 above-mentioned doctorate level health providers.

When you ask, say you will provide your "resume.". Include transcript, list of collegiate activities, mcat score (if taken), etc. This should make their job much easier, and make you look more professional. If they agree, provide promptly.