Should I Quit my CNA Job to Study for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dhooy7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm preparing my application to reapply. I was fortunate to receive 7 interviews this last cycle, and I'm on 6 WLs. There hasn't been as much WL movement as I had hoped. I am working on getting my application in ASAP. The biggest problem for me is my low MCAT (third time so wanna make it my last) and the DO schools I contacted said this is my weak area. I have worked as a CNA for 3 (3700 hours) years and one school talked about being consistent but would it look back to have to quit my job to really focus on the MCAT? I'm just doing too much right now. I work at the YMCA about 4-8 hours a month and referee soccer. I could cut back the number of games I referee but my biggest time commitment is working as a CNA. I have a requirement to do 32 hours a month but they are in need to help often. I also accepted a part-time job (research study assistant) in April (8-12 hours a week) but don't even know when that will start. I thought about just cutting back to PRN as a CNA through an agency instead. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

What was your MCAT score?

Seems to me that if you got 7 II's and 6 WL's, your weakness is probably interview skills, but the schools were too polite to tell you that...

Reactions: 1 users
MCAT- 500
GPA- 3.98, 3.957; AACOMAS- 3.93

I interviewed mostly in March and April so it gets more competitive as cycle goes on. I will retake my MCAT as my goal is to get interviews and get into a more reputable school. My goal is a 510+, and I would like to go to Texas as OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would quit everything for a few months and study for that MCAT. Don't take it until it's above 510. Make it your job and your hobby to study for that test. You may need to skip a cycle and reapply next June. Best of luck.

If you're on six WLs, your odds of getting at least one acceptance are pretty good.

Honestly, if you apply early and broadly this upcoming cycle, you will most likely get multiple DO acceptances because of your very high GPA and extensive healthcare experience. If you're not very picky about which schools you want to go to, there's absolutely no need to re-take the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got accepted. Thank you to everyone that has helped me along my journey towards becoming a physician.

Reactions: 3 users