Job helping, or should I go back to school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImmunOLT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a low GPA and a lot of credit hours. It would take roughly 300 semester hours of 4.0 to get me to a 3.5 AMCAS cGPA. My upward trend, however, is steep. My academic performance over the last 4 years is quite strong. Whether this counts as GPA redemption remains to be seen. Because of the number of hours behind my low GPA, it is unlikely that I will be financially capable of pulling the average up by taking coursework alone.

Presently, I am not in school. I work in a major academic hospital doing clinical translational research. I shadow on the weekends - actually about to go observe an orthotopic liver transplant. My CV, as far as research is concerned, is quickly becoming impressive.

Here's the question: does it help? What else should I do, or what should I do instead?

I could potentially take a single class each semester at a nearby medical/graduate school and have it reimbursed by the hospital. Would this be helpful, or is it insignificant?

Members don't see this ad.

1) What is your cGPA
2) What is you BCPM GPA?
3) What is your cGPA for freshman, sophmore, junior and senior years?

Research helps but it does not make up for GPA. Here is a link for what adcoms look for. MCAT, GPA, clinical experience and volunteering are the big four. Research and clinical employment are ranked below those four.

https://www.aamc.org/download/462316/data/2017mcatguide.pdf#page=9

There is an adcom for a DO school that posts frequently on this site. He says that students with low GPA and tons of coursework need to show at least one year of 3.7+ GPA and great MCAT. You might be able to become competitive for some DO schools with one year of full time post bac. Your problem may be getting past the GPA screens.

How would clinical employment be ranked below when it can fulfill the clinical experience requirement?

How would clinical employment be ranked below when it can fulfill the clinical experience requirement?
I guess it means that they don't care if clinical experience comes from volunteering or employment.

Reactions: 1 user