Should I notify the school to which I was accepted about my SO who applied the same time as me about our relationship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DogZug

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to med school with my SO. When applying I didn't disclose our relationship beforehand because it never came up and we're not married. Should I notify the school in which I was accepted about our relationship and state that if they were to be accepted too we'd both go to the school?

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn’t hurt to reach out, though it’s unlikely to change the school’s decision on them. Have they interviewed there?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn’t hurt to reach out, though it’s unlikely to change the school’s decision on them. Have they interviewed there?

Yeah we both interviewed there on the same day. I've been accepted but my SO hasn't heard back unfortunately.

Perhaps you should both let the school know that you will definitely attend if you are both accepted.

Admittedly, your standing would be stronger if a ring were involved (no pressure). :)

Did your SO mention your relationship in the application or during interview day? What is the current status (haven't heard back??)? Any follow-up from the SO to admissions?

Ultimately, yes I think you can contact the director of admissions about the SO's decision status, mentioning the seriousness of your relationship. Unless you both were in a LDR, with both of you interviewing on the same day, the director may have already surmised this (I did whenever the signs told me).

Reactions: 1 user
Admittedly, your standing would be stronger if a ring were involved (no pressure). :)

Did your SO mention your relationship in the application or during interview day? What is the current status (haven't heard back??)? Any follow-up from the SO to admissions?

Ultimately, yes I think you can contact the director of admissions about the SO's decision status, mentioning the seriousness of your relationship. Unless you both were in a LDR, with both of you interviewing on the same day, the director may have already surmised this (I did whenever the signs told me).
I'm curious how you surmise this @Mr.Smile12 when they were not married/had different surnames? OP admits he did not talk about his SO during the interview

No, my SO did not make them aware of the relationship either and she has not submitted any follow-ups or updates to the school. We had different interviewers on our day so I am unsure if they would have been able to deduce that we were together in some way.

Should the email be short and sweet? Such as briefly thanking them for my acceptance, and then stating that I wish to make them aware of my relationship with another applicant and its seriousness. Rounding it off with an affirmation that we would definitely matriculate if we were both accepted (it is our top choice so this is not untrue.)

Also, should my SO do anything in this situation?

Reactions: 2 users
No, my SO did not make them aware of the relationship either and she has not submitted any follow-ups or updates to the school. We had different interviewers on our day so I am unsure if they would have been able to deduce that we were together in some way.

Should the email be short and sweet? Such as briefly thanking them for my acceptance, and then stating that I wish to make them aware of my relationship with another applicant and its seriousness. Rounding it off with an affirmation that we would definitely matriculate if we were both accepted (it is our top choice so this is not untrue.)

Also, should my SO do anything in this situation?
Ok. Thanks for the detail. I can take this conversation private if you want, but I'm just making sure I knew what follow-ups have been made. But you're good!

Personally, if i received this email, it would have no effect on evaluating your girlfriend. If anything, I'd think it's a bit immature thinking this will have influence

Reactions: 1 users
Wanting to be with your SO is immature? Kinda toxic, tbh.
Sending this type of email thinking that ADCOM will accept someone because their boyfriend got accepted is immature. You say "toxic" yet I don't think you know what it means. I'm guessing you're just using the modern low-key insults

Reactions: 1 users
Sending this type of email thinking that ADCOM will accept someone because their boyfriend got accepted is immature. You say "toxic" yet I don't think you know what it means. I'm guessing you're just using the modern low-key insults
They aren’t asking for the school to accept them, just to consider it. Like others have said, it won’t hurt, and the worst outcome is a no. It’s not immature.

As someone who has now had two long term serious relationships devastated by moving for med school and the Match process, I’m kind of on his side. But adcoms stuck in antiquity want us to suffer simply for their own joy I guess.

• Okay...
  • Dislike
They aren’t asking for the school to accept them, just to consider it. Like others have said, it won’t hurt, and the worst outcome is a no. It’s not immature.

As someone who has now had two long term serious relationships devastated by moving for med school and the Match process, I’m kind of on his side. But adcoms stuck in antiquity want us to suffer simply for their own joy I guess.
I don’t think Albino Hawk is an adcom.

Consider versus ask to accept is like tOmato versus tomAto

ADCOM are not stuck in antiquity. Nobody is trying to ruin anyone's relationships. It's called merit. If she has earned the spot, she'll get the spot regardless of a childish letter. I bet someone would be pretty pissed with your modernism if they didn't get into medical school because a guy's girlfriend needed a spot

It doesn't sound healthy to think there's some conspiracy against you and your partner by people that don't know you simply for their joy

I did this and it got me an interview that day and an acceptance a few weeks later. My SO and I both ended up going to the school. Considering how random admissions can be there’s no way I’d necessarily have even gotten an interview if we didn’t say anything, in fact I’d say I most likely wouldn’t have.

OP should absolutely shoot their shot

Reactions: 6 users
I did this and it got me an interview that day and an acceptance a few weeks later. My SO and I both ended up going to the school. Considering how random admissions can be there’s no way I’d necessarily have even gotten an interview if we didn’t say anything, in fact I’d say I most likely wouldn’t have.

OP should absolutely shoot their shot
On the other hand they could come across someone that thinks it's childish and not extend an interview they would have. It's never a simple answer, but it's interesting to hear that it worked in your favor