Should I mention massage school certification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anasazi23

Your Digital Ruler
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
(borrowing someone's SDN account)

I'm applying to PM&R residencies this week, and am finishing up the ERAS application. I was looking to get your informative opinions about my therapeutic massage certification that I obtained some years ago. I worked as a massage therapist for about 4-5 years, and feel that the palpatory skills benefitted me greatly. Since I'm particulary interested in the "hands-on" and manipulative physical medicine aspect of PM&R, I thought this might be valuable to include on ERAS. However, I'm concerned that residency directors may see this as too "paramedical" or even a detriment somehow.

I would be very interested in your opinions. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Get your own SDN account! It's good to be able to access and share information throughout the interview season and beyond!

I for one would think there's nothing negative about putting your massage certification on ERAS. However, if that's the biggest highlight of your application, that may be a bit of a pblm. You want to concentrate on PM&R and the practice of medicine. You can talk about massage as a motif or as a "plus" but don't make it the sole reason they should take you. Hopefully, you have other accomplishments during med school that in addition to your massage certification will make you a competitive candidate for PM&R.