Should I look into it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wouldn't go so far as to say a death sentence.... but it's pretty dismal.

Looking through the CaRMS matching this year approximately 25% students from all international schools got matched back in Canada (this includes both those who graduate that year and those who didn't match the first time). I didn't read it much more to dissect the numbers.

20% match rate for Central America/Carib grads. 63% for Australian grads according to CaRMS.
As a Canadian, Australia and Irish schools are probably the best bet. But i agree, definitely looks dismal compared to chances of landing a residency in the states.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't go so far as to say a death sentence.... but it's pretty dismal.

Looking through the CaRMS matching this year approximately 25% students from all international schools got matched back in Canada (this includes both those who graduate that year and those who didn't match the first time). I didn't read it much more to dissect the numbers.
exactly....so 75% of those who spent hundreds of thousands on their degrees can't even get a residency
and keep in mind, the vast majority of that 25% are on ROS agreements doing fam med in a tiny community, regardless of what they wanted to do

20% match rate for Central America/Carib grads. 63% for Australian grads according to CaRMS.
As a Canadian, Australia and Irish schools are probably the best bet. But i agree, definitely looks dismal compared to chances of landing a residency in the states.
20% is so, so very low though :( Poor people who spend so much on those degrees

Members don't see this ad :)
20% is so, so very low though :( Poor people who spend so much on those degrees

I'm assuming most of them are from the non big 4 Carib schools where tuition is more like ~7k per semester or Saba/MUA. Since we don't have FAFSA and and we primarily rely on bank loans and OSAP etc., i think Canadians go to the cheaper schools as opposed to SGU/Ross/AUC. But this is purely speculation on my part. Regardless, it still really is a big financial burden.

I was told by a few of my friends that made it through Saba that literally 80% of the class is Canadian, and i think part of the reason is that it's substantially cheaper than the other big 4 schools. 20% does look depressing. I personally know some Torontonian high GPA "gunners" that are taking the Carib route, and i sure hope it works out for them. These are bright kids who probably could've made it at least to DO schools if they waited another year or two.

I'm assuming most of them are from the non big 4 Carib schools where tuition is more like ~7k per semester or Saba/MUA. Since we don't have FAFSA and and we primarily rely on bank loans and OSAP etc., i think Canadians go to the cheaper schools as opposed to SGU/Ross/AUC. But this is purely speculation on my part. Regardless, it still really is a big financial burden.

I was told by a few of my friends that made it through Saba that literally 80% of the class is Canadian, and i think part of the reason is that it's substantially cheaper than the other big 4 schools. 20% does look depressing. I personally know some Torontonian high GPA "gunners" that are taking the Carib route, and i sure hope it works out for them. These are bright kids who probably could've made it at least to DO schools if they waited another year or two.
That's what I just don't understand, even though DO is IMG too at ;least you do a residency in the States (or your much more likely to). I know a bunch of people who could have even got into MD schools in the US had they looked into it, but they got rejected from ontario and left for SABA

That's what I just don't understand, even though DO is IMG too at ;least you do a residency in the States (or your much more likely to). I know a bunch of people who could have even got into MD schools in the US had they looked into it, but they got rejected from ontario and left for SABA

DO's are actually considered CMG's in couple of provinces (BC, Alberta, Manitoba i think?). I've met about 4-5 life-sci grads/pre-meds this year who didn't know what a "DO" is. This will probably change in the future as DO's get more recognition and foreign schools keep getting absurdly expensive. For example, RCSI in Ireland costs about 75k a year:wideyed: Might as well shoot myself and call it a day.