Should I include my own health history in my personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moe_eves

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I was born, I have had severe food allergies (wheat, eggs, nuts, peas, beans, etc.), asthma and scoliosis. This meant that I spent many hours in doctors offices and hospitals growing up and forming relationships with healthcare providers. While they have sometimes seemed like roadblocks to me doing the things that I want to do (like attending college away from home and figuring out how to eat here lol), I have still managed to figure things out.
My question is... should I write about this in my personal statement? I think my own health history definitely plays a role in my interest in healthcare but I don't want to make my personal statement seem like a sob story about how I have all these afflictions (because in the grand scheme of things, I could have it a lot worse!).
Just wondering if any of the wise people of SDN had any input. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't.

To quote Scrubs: "If you want sympathy, get a disease people can see."

Reactions: 3 users
Unless you have some kind of unique hook that you didn't include in your post, I think the general consensus on here is that it makes for a very cookie-cutter and unoriginal personal statement. There are a lot of people who have had health problems throughout life, and while that may have contributed to your interest, it shouldn't be framed as your reason for going to medical school. If you go that route, your personal statement will likely not standout.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I could see four sentences maximum devoted to this topic. It should not be the main theme.

Unless you have some kind of unique hook that you didn't include in your post, I think the general consensus on here is that it makes for a very cookie-cutter and unoriginal personal statement. There are a lot of people who have had health problems throughout life, and while that may have contributed to your interest, it shouldn't be framed as your reason for going to medical school. If you go that route, your personal statement will likely not standout.

But then what kinds of essays do stand out? ADCOMs have seen it all. I think the only way you can stand out now is either by having extremely good writing skills or by completely messing up the essay, resulting in your app being thrown away.

But then what kinds of essays do stand out? ADCOMs have seen it all. I think the only way you can stand out now is either by having extremely good writing skills or by completely messing up the essay, resulting in your app being thrown away.

My money is on that you really don't want to stand out. Just right a solid essay and check that box off.

Reactions: 1 users
To me, those really sound like "first world" health issues, I'm not trying to trivialize your experiences at all here... but if I were an adcom I'd see someone who references those conditions (particularly as the driving force behind choosing medicine as a vocation) as an applicant in dire need of some perspective.

I'm going to potentially disagree with above posters. You are writing the story of why you want to be a doctor and how you've evaluated that decision.
Are your frequent trips to the doctor growing up part of that story? When included, does it show a logical progression of how you came to the conclusion that you want to be a doctor? Do you state the fact objectively, without trying to throw yourself a pity party?

If you answer yes to all 3 above, I think it's fine to include it.

PS - In the interest of your own privacy, I would simply say "Growing up, I had certain health complications that required frequent doctor visits" rather than go into detail about what they are.

I don't know why people are telling you not to write about it. It sounds like it's a big reason that you decided to become a doctor. The personal statement, in my mind, should be a story of why you are applying to medical school. You're not asking for sympathy; you're just describing the path of what led you to this decision.

To me, those really sound like "first world" health issues, I'm not trying to trivialize your experiences at all here... but if I were an adcom I'd see someone who references those conditions (particularly as the driving force behind choosing medicine as a vocation) as an applicant in dire need of some perspective.
Good point, I guess it does sound kind of a "first world problems" type of thing. @whatever5 and @bananafish94 I was going to mention how much physicians have helped me in my past and how I would want to serve as a rock for my patients like some of my providers have done for me. If I was going to include it, I certainly wouldn't turn it into a "feel sorry for me" type of thing, more like a "I have experienced first-hand the impact that a passionate, skilled physician can have on a patient's life, and I am determined to do the same for my patients."
I appreciate the input from everyone and if anyone has any other suggestions/advice on what makes a great personal statement, I would love to hear them!

I would focus on why/how your experiences and interactions with healthcare providers lead to your interest in healthcare. I probably would not go into specifics about what health issues you had.

Good point, I guess it does sound kind of a "first world problems" type of thing. @whatever5 and @bananafish94 I was going to mention how much physicians have helped me in my past and how I would want to serve as a rock for my patients like some of my providers have done for me. If I was going to include it, I certainly wouldn't turn it into a "feel sorry for me" type of thing, more like a "I have experienced first-hand the impact that a passionate, skilled physician can have on a patient's life, and I am determined to do the same for my patients."
I appreciate the input from everyone and if anyone has any other suggestions/advice on what makes a great personal statement, I would love to hear them!

I think there isn't much more to say - if you have a draft, have someone from the personal statement thread review it for you and you will get more useful advice.

You had significant exposure to physicians and other health care providers in a variety of departments (e.g. allergy/immunology, dermatology, orthopedic surgery, general pediatrics, maybe asthma clinic) due to your scoliosis, asthma and atopy. This made you aware of the profession and got you to thinking about medicine as a career. There is nothing wrong with spelling out your health issues in those three short words. There is almost always an internist and/or a pediatrician on the committee who will nod knowingly when they hear that and understand where you are coming from.
That's all you need to say about your background. The adcom gets it. From there the question is, "how have you tested your interest in providing clinical care to others?" Tell us what you have done in terms of volunteerism of any kind (showing that you have spent time helping those in need), exposure as an adult to clinical settings outside of receiving clinical care yourself (shadowing, volunteerism in a health care setting and/or employment), as well as ways in which you have demonstrated curiosity and an interest in scientific inquiry and discovery (e.g. research endeavors).

Reactions: 6 users
What LizzyM said. Keep your health background focused and use it more as an introduction when you started to consider Medicine seriously as a career. Back up fluff statements (saying things that sound nice) with real life experiences relevant to medicine. They just want to know what inspired you and what did you do with that inspiration.