Should I even bother?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GloryVA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished with a meeting I had with an admissions consultant. He told me this was not my year for applying.

Apparently, my lack of clinical research and in-hospital volunteering will prevent schools from accepting me.

I've worked really hard though. My GPA is 3.65, I haven't taken my MCATs yet (2 weeks to go).

This is a seasoned professional, should I even bother applying, or do what he says and wait it out a year and in the meantime, line up some research?

I feel so shut down. This has been really devastating to me. So any advice will be very welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

How many hours do you have in volunteering?

I have a lot of hours volunteering, but none of it is in a hospital setting. It's mostly tutoring and helping underserved groups in non-medical ways. I have a ton of extracurriculars, but again, none are really science related. The only stuff I have is assistant work I've done for doctors over the years, but that comes off as both administrative and clinical, and apparently is just not enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
this question is more appropriate for the "what are my chances?" subforum. all personal questions regarding one's chances or school choices should now be asked there. moving.

I just finished with a meeting I had with an admissions consultant. He told me this was not my year for applying.

Apparently, my lack of clinical research and in-hospital volunteering will prevent schools from accepting me.

I've worked really hard though. My GPA is 3.65, I haven't taken my MCATs yet (2 weeks to go).

This is a seasoned professional, should I even bother applying, or do what he says and wait it out a year and in the meantime, line up some research?

I feel so shut down. This has been really devastating to me. So any advice will be very welcome.
I don't think you shouldn't apply.

I think you can start volunteering right now to make up for your lack of clinical experience. I don't think you are completely clueless about what a doctor does, since you've been around a physician. You can work on coming up with a convincing argument of why you want to be a doctor based on what you've already seen and done.

Start getting more experience now and go ahead with the applications. With a good MCAT this could be your year

If you've legitimately had no experience that could be considered as related to health, then I don't think you should apply this year. HOWEVER, it is not entirely clear that working in the doctor's office was not related. Have you shadowed that doctor? You need to give us a better idea of what your role was in the doctor's office. I think the lack of research only hurts you at top schools.