WAMC should I increase GPA? Worth it even minisculy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GSI

Reaction score
cGPA 3.73
sc GPA 3.71
Non-science major - CS
MCAT: 510

Located: PA

Clinical exp: 500+
Shadowing: 100
Community: 500+
Research: 500+

Hobbies: weight lifting, caring for my younger sibling
Clubs in Tutoring (stem) and film media (fun)

Concerns: I have the chance to do an extra sem and increase cGPA to 3.75 and scGPA to 3.75 if it will give me a slight edge for MD schools only. I need to decide on this soon.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

3.7 is the average matriculant GPA. You're free to take additional classes if you wish, but I doubt that your GPA would negatively impact your application.

3.7 is the average matriculant GPA. You're free to take additional classes if you wish, but I doubt that your GPA would negatively impact your application.
I plan to apply to PA, NJ, NY schools which are crazy about gpa and mcat at even slight deviations so I fear that I might fall into a lower quartile compared to someone who might have the same stats except cGPA and scGPA 3.75. So I guess in terms of that would someone with that GPA fall into the same quartile as mine? I just don't know how the GPA and MCAT evaluations work at medical schools - maybe if you know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPAs won’t be the reason you are screened out( if you are screened out). Your MCAT is a bit low but there is no reason to retake. Schools don’t accept you based on those two metrics. It’s a total package that is reviewed . If you want to take the two classes do it, but there really isn’t a reason to. Use the MSAR to develop your list of schools. Pay close attention to IS v OOS.acceptance rates. And as always your best chances are with your IS public schools.

Last edited:
You have done what you can. My focus would be on good grades in biomedical coursework.
I have actually done only 3 other biology/Math electives and 2 of them I did pass/fail for during the pandemic. So then taking 2 classes in Bio to increase my gpa would still be worth it? Mainly talking about PA, NJ, NY schools.

Some people have told me that MD schools only look at 2 sig figs of gpa like 3.7x or 3.8x. But is this right for PA, NJ, NY schools? I will have a hard time getting into out of state, so I have to cater to my in-state or nearby.

I have actually done only 3 other biology/Math electives and 2 of them I did pass/fail for during the pandemic. So then taking 2 classes in Bio to increase my gpa would still be worth it? Mainly talking about PA, NJ, NY schools.

Some people have told me that MD schools only look at 2 sig figs of gpa like 3.7x or 3.8x. But is this right for PA, NJ, NY schools? I will have a hard time getting into out of state, so I have to cater to my in-state or nearby.
your GPA is fine. There are people getting into places with a 3.5 in some places some even lower. Your MCAT isn't too bad either. I think you are stressing out about your stats and should focus on what sets you apart from other applicants

Reactions: 1 users
your GPA is fine. There are people getting into places with a 3.5 in some places some even lower. Your MCAT isn't too bad either. I think you are stressing out about your stats and should focus on what sets you apart from other applicants
This. It’s your whole application that should make you stand out. It’s the whole application that you want reviewers to read and say “this applicant sounds interesting let’s interview him”. Stop fixating on your stats. They won’t hold you back. Apply wisely and broadly. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user