Should I even bother applying until OAT is done.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danielallen2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im havent taken the OAT yet, Im planning to in the end of september, my question is schools, pacific, ICO have already started their application cycle should I apply now or wait until I take the OAT.......AND do you guys think I have a chance with a 3.33 science GPA and a 3.45 overall GPA.........I have TONS of job shadowing experiance (Dads an optometrist) and I can get great evaluations from teachers and other optometrists....let me know what you think........

Members don't see this ad.

Id say yes. I've heard you can even get an interview and perhaps a conditional acceptance pending your OAT scores, wouldn't that be motivation to do well on the oat! do you have to go through a pre-health committee at your school?

see theres another question I have which is better a committee letter or a couple letters from teachers? Im going to get one from the science dean at my school and hopefully one from the chair of the science division, which schools have you heard people getting conditional acceptances too without oats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im havent taken the OAT yet, Im planning to in the end of september, my question is schools, pacific, ICO have already started their application cycle should I apply now or wait until I take the OAT.......AND do you guys think I have a chance with a 3.33 science GPA and a 3.45 overall GPA.........I have TONS of job shadowing experiance (Dads an optometrist) and I can get great evaluations from teachers and other optometrists....let me know what you think........

I'm in the same boat as you. I switched majors 3 semesters in and created a mess for myself. I'm taking the OAT at the end of August, but I'm waiting to see my scores before I make the decision to apply. My GPA is a bit higher, but I don't have as much shadowing experience...

Point being, if my scores aren't above a certain score, then I'm going to wait for the next cycle to apply (and in the meantime boost my experience).

You have to ask yourself WHERE you want to go though. Certain schools will grant conditional acceptance, but to know for sure whether your school of interest will, you should just call them.

see theres another question I have which is better a committee letter or a couple letters from teachers? Im going to get one from the science dean at my school and hopefully one from the chair of the science division, which schools have you heard people getting conditional acceptances too without oats?

I don't think one is really better than the other. We didn't have a pre-prof committee at my undergrad so I didn't have the choice.

Dont you think you should consider get recommendations from people who know you on a one to one basis.... A science professor would probably know your strengths and weaknesses more than a dean of a whole department would?

Last year ICO only required one OD and one academic letter.

With your GPA and an OAT 310+ you're in at ICO this early.