Should I do the HPSP program mainly due to financial reasons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maru_99

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I am 21 years old and currently thinking of joining the Army Reserves after delaying my applying cycle for 2020 because of personal issues. I decided I wanted to try something worthwhile so one day an Army recruiter contacted me and I decided to go along with the plan. I am set out to ship in October, but right now I am starting to have second thoughts because, why am I even doing this? Personally, I know myself well, I have always been a pushover, I get persuaded easily into things and I admittedly got blinded by all the benefits that my recruiter told me and joined with little hesitation. I am ignorant and naive and make bad decisions. I don't trust myself so I hope to hear from you guys who hopefully know more than I do.
I started doing a lot of research recently and the more I dig, the more I became reluctant to join. My physical ability sucks, I cannot run one mile without stopping, or do more than 5 pushups nonstop, and I tried shooting once and it terrified me. I realized that my aim for joining the Reserve has been the financial benefit all along, not about serving the countries (yeah it sounds nice and tempting, I love to be someone like that, but it isn't my number one focus in life, I can do that just fine by being a civilian doctor).

My real goal is to become a doctor, that's it. So why did I even join the Reserve when the job they gave me ain't even medical-related (I got CBRN)? Thus, I turned to HPSP, which would help me pay for medical school as well as giving me the ability to work as a military doctor if I want to. If not, I can just complete my military obligation and return to my normal life, while having all these benefits offered to me, debt-free. It sounds almost too good to be true.
Make notes, I am aware signing up for HPSP will not exempt me from doing physical training, however I am willing to change if the goal I am reaching for is to be a doctor and financially-stable. I even hired a PT to help me become fit as well as taking gun-control classes. Mentally, I can't really tell how I will fare in the military. I heard they break you down and rebuild you, so this is the thing that worries me the most about joining, that it would change who I am for the worse, or even give me trauma. I heard stories from vets about people who only joined for the money and most of the times it doesn't end well...

So in sort, I am interested in HPSP for two reasons: they give me a chance to serve the country using the career that I love (doctor) and financial-stability. My interest in medical specialty right now is undecided, so I can't really envision how much limit the Army will place on your freedom in choosing your specialty residency, since I don't even know which specialty to prefer right now. For me as of now, whichever is good. I know that civilian doctors usually come out on top compared to military doctors despite having tuition debts, and that any specialty can earn you good money. My biggest issue with this is IF you manage to get a job. The uncertainty here terrifies me. I have met with many failures and rejections over the years, be it landing a medical scribe job or obtaining a shadowing spot at a local hospital. Therefore, I cannot place my trust on the "if" here. A little bit about myself, our family moved to America roughly 10 years ago, and my father started pursuing his career as a pharmacist, took up extra 5 years of his life. My mother worked days and nights to pay for both mine and his college's tuition. Guess what he is doing now? Unemployed. He couldn't find a job, especially considering Covid-19 takeover. I also got laid off from my job at the university. My mother continued to work to take care of us, all by herself, during this whole pandemic which also damaged her small business quite a bit. I was hoping that my father, now that he got a license, can finally alleviate the burden she carries, but he couldn't because the future is unpredictable. What I am trying to say is, I am scared of repeating the same thing he did. To study for 4 yrs medical school, got myself thousands in debt, and couldnt find a job. I do not want to do that to my mother. My drive for financial stability originates mostly from my wish to help her. I love her to death, that woman has done so much for me. So, if HPSP gives me job guarantee in the military to which I can use to take care of my mother, whether they limit my freedom or not, I am willing to do it.

Now that you read my ranting diary, do you think I should do HPSP or not? And if I should, what advice or warning do you have for me? I heard people in HPSP have to complete their DCC and BOLC training, is that true? If so, what time do you have to complete them with all your medical school stuffs in between? Do you get deployed to other countries a lot? Although I like traveling, I prefer to stay by my family's side. Which branch is better to do HPSP in? So and so.
Also, should I continue with my Army Reserve plan? Just to make myself look more well-rounded as a medical applicant. I am also afraid I won't get accepted to medical schools the next cycle.

Thank you all for your time in reading this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
By reading your description, it doesnt not sound like you want to join the military. It sounds like you want a stable job near your family. Depending on where your family is located, it may be difficult with the military.

You don't have to necessrily be the most physically fit or capable person to be in the military (especially the medical corps). With that said, if this is a source of great anxiety for you, that will not be a fun part of this journey.

I think everyone should make their own choices, but you were not exactly selling your love for the military there. Yes, the militay is often a place with a stable job. I know many people in who don't have better options, but rarely are they happy people.

I would consider your own desires. It sounds like you probably want to be a doctor, but you want to know the future will work out. The is impossible to know whether you are in the military or not.

You apply for HPSP essentially after you get accepted. Take some time to figure out where you want to be, and what works best for you and your family, then decide.

Reactions: 1 users
By reading your description, it doesnt not sound like you want to join the military. It sounds like you want a stable job near your family. Depending on where your family is located, it may be difficult with the military.

You don't have to necessrily be the most physically fit or capable person to be in the military (especially the medical corps). With that said, if this is a source of great anxiety for you, that will not be a fun part of this journey.

I think everyone should make their own choices, but you were not exactly selling your love for the military there. Yes, the militay is often a place with a stable job. I know many people in who don't have better options, but rarely are they happy people.

I would consider your own desires. It sounds like you probably want to be a doctor, but you want to know the future will work out. The is impossible to know whether you are in the military or not.

You apply for HPSP essentially after you get accepted. Take some time to figure out where you want to be, and what works best for you and your family, then decide.

You aren't wrong, I don't have the biggest ambition to join the military at all, the thing that interested me from the start was the benefit. So although military comes with stability, there are risk of getting deployed and I dread that a lot, especially if the place I get deployed to isnt where I want to be.
Thank you for your advice, really, I have been worrying about this matter over the past few weeks, but I am glad that I can kind of see what would be best for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
You aren't wrong, I don't have the biggest ambition to join the military at all, the thing that interested me from the start was the benefit. So although military comes with stability, there are risk of getting deployed and I dread that a lot, especially if the place I get deployed to isnt where I want to be.
Thank you for your advice, really, I have been worrying about this matter over the past few weeks, but I am glad that I can kind of see what would be best for me.
The question of love for the military is too late, you’re in if you signed. Just work on your med school app when you can

My real goal is to become a doctor, that's it. So why did I even join the Reserve when the job they gave me ain't even medical-related (I got CBRN)?...

Now that you read my ranting diary, do you think I should do HPSP or not?...

Also, should I continue with my Army Reserve plan? Just to make myself look more well-rounded as a medical applicant....

1. First, you need to figure out right now if you are obligated to the reserves or can drop to the IRR because if getting into medical school and becoming a physician is your primary goal, the reserves is probably not going to be manageable if you are studying for the MCAT, taking college classes, etc. I left active duty with the plan of dropping to the reserves during medical school and am glad someone talked me out of it. I have only met a few service members that have drilled through medical school and it is very challenging to balance both. Something, either your evaluations or your grades, will suffer.

2. I don’t want to sound mean but I do not think the military is right for you unless you change your attitude, toughen up, and embrace your situation. If you decide you want to stay in, you are going to have to submit your command’s evaluations on you if you apply for HPSP- have you thought about that? Just based on what I’ve heard from you, I do not see someone that is at all motivated to take care of service members and I doubt your unit will either unless you show them you care about your job now. If you want a CO’s endorsement for HPSP, and you will need it, then you had better start looking like a motivated soldier. Push yourself to run and get in shape- you have the willpower to do it or you would not be applying to medical school. Ask your command to send you to medical trainings if there is time and funding (there are a number for CBRNE so I’m surprised you thought there was no relationship to medicine). Make an effort to show your command you want this- the Army does not need to release you from your contract if they don’t want to: convince them. Establish a relationship with your command career counselor and local medical recruiter now if you are determined to do this.

3. Build your self confidence. You are going to need it to survive in medicine as much as you would the military.

Good luck

My physical ability sucks, I cannot run one mile without stopping, or do more than 5 pushups nonstop

Ever think about getting into an exercise program? Not to join the military...but so that you can be healthy?

You won't be out of a job in medicine if you are flexible in terms of location. If you are not flexible in terms of location, military medicine is absolutely not the right choice.

To piggy back off of the above posters, if you cannot run a mile or do push ups...you will have an awful time. Worrying about passing the physical fitness test is an added stress during residency if you are borderline.

I'm afraid its a bit late to be questioning your decision to join the Reserves. It seems you have signed a contract, so your only recourse as I understand it is to request a release from your contract. I can't imagine that would look good on an HPSP application.

Regardless, overall, you sound like a poor fit for HPSP. Perhaps your enlistment and time in basic training and AIT will give you the opportunities to grow, mature a bit more, and have a better idea of where you want your life to go.

Good luck

The question of love for the military is too late, you’re in if you signed. Just work on your med school app when you can

What do you mean? Shouldn't I be able to get out since I have not reported to basic training yet?

Ever think about getting into an exercise program? Not to join the military...but so that you can be healthy?

Yep, already started doing it. I might have exaggerated my poor physical ability abit but I did start PT.

I couldn’t find the actual Army instruction but the below is a synopsis from this article:

“The Reserves and the National Guard don't have a Delayed Enlistment Program. That means as soon as you take the oath and sign the enlistment contract, you're in the Reserves (or Guard). If you change your mind, the discharge process is entirely out of the hands of the recruiting command. Instead, the process lies in the hands of the commanding officer of the unit to which you're assigned. This makes the discharge process much more complicated.

A discharge from the Reserves or National Guard requires a full-blown discharge package initiated by the unit commander for the unit you're assigned to, even if you've not been to basic training or attended any paid drills. Your first step should be to make a request for discharge, in writing, addressed to your commanding officer. Your letter should clearly state your reason(s) for discharge. If your request is denied, you can simply refuse to report to basic training.... Army Guard and Reserve members who refuse to report to Initial Active Duty Training (IADT) are usually discharged for "entry level performance and conduct." Participation in weekend drills for Soldiers who have not yet gone to Basic Training (boot camp) is completely voluntary. Members who report for IADT and then go AWOL are treated the same as active duty members who go absent.... After IADT, Reservists who have accrued in any one-year period a total of nine or more unexcused absences from scheduled drill, or who miss Annual Training (AT) are considered "unsatisfactory participants." What happens then is up to the unit commander...If the unit commander thinks the member still has to potential to be deployed, the commander can transfer the member to the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR). The commander can also impose a grade reduction in conjunction with the transfer. However, if the commander believes the member does not have the potential to participate in deployments, discharge action will be initiated. Most such discharges are characterized as other-than-honorable conditions (OTHC). And since the Army National Guard belongs to the state, not the federal government, individual state laws may apply”

Bottom line: It sounds like you may be able to get out of your enlistment with an “entry level separation” but you might be risking an other than honorable discharge if you try to break your enlistment contract after your initial active duty training- research this carefully before you report and see if you can find a medical recruiter with experience handling reserve to HPSP accessions. Don’t want to scare you but If you have an other than honorable, you can forget about serving in the military as a doc.

What do you mean? Shouldn't I be able to get out since I have not reported to basic training yet?
This is the army, not an after school club.

If you are being serious and not just trolling, you really have to step up your game when it comes to reading paperwork

Reactions: 3 users
This is the army, not an after school club.

If you are being serious and not just trolling, you really have to step up your game when it comes to reading paperwork

I have read paperwork, even talked to a GI military counselor. I reported to them my situation and they told me usually if you don't show up to your shipping date, they'll just cancel your contract and release you. The recruiters may tell me different things though since, well, they're recruiters.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have read paperwork, even talked to a GI military counselor. I reported to them my situation and they told me usually if you don't show up to your shipping date, they'll just cancel your contract and release you. The recruiters may tell me different things though since, well, they're recruiters.
I’m gonna bet you a dollar you didn’t read “it’s cool to just not show up” in any army paperwork

I’m gonna bet you a dollar you didn’t read “it’s cool to just not show up” in any army paperwork

I did a bit of googling and it seems that is a strategy pushed by anti-military 'advocacy' groups.

I doubt the .mil is gonna chase down some random enlistee that doesn't show, but I can't imagine he would ever get a HPSP scholarship after blowing off an enlistment. He certainly wouldn't if I was on the board.

That said, given the info the OP has provided about himself, I don't see him being accepted to medical school anytime soon.

I do wish him well fighting his worries and fears.

I did a bit of googling and it seems that is a strategy pushed by anti-military 'advocacy' groups.

I doubt the .mil is gonna chase down some random enlistee that doesn't show, but I can't imagine he would ever get a HPSP scholarship after blowing off an enlistment. He certainly wouldn't if I was on the board.

That said, given the info the OP has provided about himself, I don't see him being accepted to medical school anytime soon.

I do wish him well fighting his worries and fears.
Agreed. There is always what they can do to you and what someone cares enough to put in the time to do to you

The phrasing is “be there or be square! :p j/k whatevs.” It’s in the 2017 revision. You have to ask eight people for it and each of them will swear on their mother’s life that it says something different and then fail to produce the document for you.

Look @OP

First, you got your d&$k stuck in your zipper here. It happened. You weren’t paying attention or you didn’t have adequate clearance when you zipped up, you zipped up to fast, you probably should have been wearing underwear, and it got caught in there.

Now you gotta decide what to do next.

From the sound of it, you’re thinking “well, it doesn’t hurt that bad now that it’s stuck and the initial pain is gone....maybe I’ll just leave it there. Live with it this way from now on. Maybe this is who I am now.”

Resist that urge. You shouldn’t walk around with your $&@k stuck in your zipper just because you mistakenly got it caught there. It’s going to be worse off that way.

Second urge is to just pull it out. Don’t do that either. You’re gonna make it worse.

You gotta slowly unzip it. Do it the right way. Worry less about why you didn’t wear sweatpants today and more about getting unstuck. It’s gonna suck, but that’s the price you pay for getting it stuck in there. If you find a legitimate way to unzip it fast without hurting yourself, go for it. But don’t pull. And once you’re out, don’t go commando again.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Look @OP

First, you got your d&$k stuck in your zipper here. It happened. You weren’t paying attention or you didn’t have adequate clearance when you zipped up, you zipped up to fast, you probably should have been wearing underwear, and it got caught in there.

Now you gotta decide what to do next.

From the sound of it, you’re thinking “well, it doesn’t hurt that bad now that it’s stuck and the initial pain is gone....maybe I’ll just leave it there. Live with it this way from now on. Maybe this is who I am now.”

Resist that urge. You shouldn’t walk around with your $&@k stuck in your zipper just because you mistakenly got it caught there. It’s going to be worse off that way.

Second urge is to just pull it out. Don’t do that either. You’re gonna make it worse.

You gotta slowly unzip it. Do it the right way. Worry less about why you didn’t wear sweatpants today and more about getting unstuck. It’s gonna suck, but that’s the price you pay for getting it stuck in there. If you find a legitimate way to unzip it fast without hurting yourself, go for it. But don’t pull. And once you’re out, don’t go commando again.

Lot of guys with d&$ks in zippers walking around just waiting for that sweet, analgesic pension.