HPSP: OTS during M3/M4 due to injury

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Incognito32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an Air Force HPSP recipient who is currently in his summer between M1/M2. I am scheduled to attend OTS RCOO in just under 2 weeks. However, this past weekend, I injured my knee doing martial arts and currently cannot deep squat, spring, or run long distances without significant pain (short, slow jogging feels OK). I don't know the extent of the injury or the time needed to recover, but I fear that I will not be able to pass the running portion of the PT test nor give 100% during the daily PT exercises.

I was told that there are no waivers for PT and that I would either need to go as-is or push OTS to a later date. I would like some input and advice into my situation:
  • How bad is it if I fail the running portion of my mock PT? I know that it goes in my permanent record so it probably wouldn't look good for residency applications
  • Would you recommend pushing OTS to my M3 or M4 year? I know that it can potentially interfere with Step 2 study time
  • If I do delay it, would I forgo an elective for OTS or just go after everything is done?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Doc said my ligaments seem fine but he's worried about a meniscus injury

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I did BOLC between 3rd and 4th year and it made zero difference long term whatsoever. The only negative thing that happened was that it counted as my active duty time for that year, so I was unable to have another funded rotation which did suck for my audition rotation (ended up paying out of pocket for a rental appt). This might be a substantial cost if you wanted to rotate somewhere like Tripler since you might be on the hook for a flight as well.

This was quite a while ago so things may have changed.

I did BOLC between 3rd and 4th year and it made zero difference long term whatsoever. The only negative thing that happened was that it counted as my active duty time for that year, so I was unable to have another funded rotation which did suck for my audition rotation (ended up paying out of pocket for a rental appt). This might be a substantial cost if you wanted to rotate somewhere like Tripler since you might be on the hook for a flight as well.

This was quite a while ago so things may have changed.
Do you know if failing the mock PT will hurt residency apps in any way? My recruiter said it would, whereas others from Reddit said it won't.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're doing the 2 week, they will just push you on. Don't worry about failing the run. Make sure it's documented when you get here and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're doing the 2 week, they will just push you on. Don't worry about failing the run. Make sure it's documented when you get here and you'll be fine.
I assume that I'm required to at least try, but is there any way to waive/opt out of just the run? I tried running around today but I could barely manage around a mile at my usual pace before my knee gave out

I assume that I'm required to at least try, but is there any way to waive/opt out of just the run? I tried running around today but I could barely manage around a mile at my usual pace before my knee gave out
Contact Mr. Crawford, see what he says. The instances I saw where people were able to opt out were because they had an injury that occurred while at OTS.

Edit: in reality, the PT test at OTS is only for course completion, it doesn’t count as an official PT test. Even then, they told us a failed test wouldn’t hinder you from completing the course.

Contact Mr. Crawford, see what he says. The instances I saw where people were able to opt out were because they had an injury that occurred while at OTS.

Edit: in reality, the PT test at OTS is only for course completion, it doesn’t count as an official PT test. Even then, they told us a failed test wouldn’t hinder you from completing the course.
Appreciate it!