Should I do it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lowcountrylynn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A simple question with a complex answer. I am currently a licensed attorney and I am wondering if I should go to medical school. I am 30. I graduated from college with a double major in economics and business. I immediately attended law school and graduated.
Needless to say, the legal career is not what I envisioned. I am a quite adept attorney. I have successly handled many types of litigation, which has lead to me working with numerous medical experts. During working on these cases I developed a real interest and passion in two types of medicine: dermatology and allergy/immunology. I self taught myself a considerable amount in working with these experts. As time has went by I have become disillusioned with the attitude of the legal profession, the ethical issues, and monetary competitiveness and I am now changing careers.
I am wondering what those of you who are in school or practicing think about whether I should take the plunge. Due to my undergraduate education, I will have to take supplemental premedical courses prior to application. I feel confident that I could give the coursework my all and be successful.
Is it worth it? Are you happy? Do you feel like you help people? Would you do it again if you were in my shoes? All advice is welcome. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If medicine is really what you want to do (and it sure sounds like it) there is no reason you shouldn't go for it. I started med school when I was 27, I'm currently 31, I graduated a month ago and matched in dermatology. I know I was a lot happier than many of my younger classmates in med school. I had done a lot of soul searching in my mid-20's and agonized over my career choice. Going to med school was a very deliberate decision and I knew it was what I wanted to do, which made the hard work and sacrifice a bit easier. I wasn't questioning my decision like many others. And you are right about the prerequisite coursework...if you know you want to attend med school you will do well and make it happen. Having a career before med school helped me tremendously in the application process and I'm almost certain it also helped me to stand out when I applied to dermatology. If you convey your sincerity about medicine during interviews, having had another career will also help you out. Of course you have to do well in prereq's, MCAT etc, and the same applies to the ridiculously competitive derm match, but I really believe med schools and residencies are looking for sincere, smart people who will make good collegues, not just the most "competitive" people on paper.

I would definitely do it over again. (Hopefully my attitude won't change during my intern year when I'm exhasuted! But I doubt it :)) It wasn't easy by any stretch, but I loved med school. There were days that were incredibly trying, but that happens no matter what your career is. Yes, you have to study a lot, but you know that. We will have to study our entire lives, but that's part of what draws most people to medicine. There are probably "easier" jobs, but no job is easy and without it's own frustrations.

I know this is a little cheesy, but my attitude has always been that we are living our lives every day and it's not about finishing med school or residency and then starting our lives. Med school for me was just part of my journey so it didn't matter how old I was when attending. If it's where you want your life to go know, then do it!!

Members don't see this ad :)
We had people in my class who were in their late 30's early 40's some who had traveled the world, some who served in Iraq as helicopter pilots, some who played in professional orchestras, medicine is forever learning, and it is a challenge, but if its what you want then do it

plus lawyers are mostly scum of the earth anyways

no offense, i would be hard pressed to find someone in law not for the money and to actually uphold justice and protect citizens, but i guess i can say the same about police officers

I developed a real interest and passion in two types of medicine: dermatology and allergy/immunology.

If you can only see yourself in those two fields, then I would say it isn't worth giving up a successful practice in law.

Dermatology is one of the hardest fields to get into and allergy/immunology is no cakewalk in terms of applying for that fellowship AFTER a medicine residency.

If you're open to quite a few fields, then I would say it's worth the risk.

To give up so much for a shot at these two highly competitive fields could lead to heartbreak. (And the only thing you really stand to gain is a better lifestyle. Add in the cost of medical school and the lost wages from your previous gig and there's really no way you would come out on top financially. Yes, even in derm and/or allergy/immunology)