Another do I have a chance and what should I do to get into derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drjh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with my chances if I have any at all and what I should be doing now to get into derm? Well, I just realized how much I enjoy derm and I only have a year left in medical school. My board scores were around 240 for three digit and 98 for two digit score. I have a GPA around 3.8 and have not honored many of my 3rd year rotations. I have also not done any research yet. My school does not have a derm program and it has been a few years since someone has matched in it from my school. I am also in a six year program, which I have been told is a big disadvantage. Do I even have a chance? Do I still have time to start on research? Also, what are some good derm programs to rotate at? Should I take step 2 CS and CK early? I will probably end up applying to another specialty at the same time to have a back up. Would you still recommend applying to a prelim year, also? Or just try to scramble for a prelim if I did match? I would appreciate any help! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

drjh said:
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with my chances if I have any at all and what I should be doing now to get into derm? Well, I just realized how much I enjoy derm and I only have a year left in medical school. My board scores were around 240 for three digit and 98 for two digit score. I have a GPA around 3.8 and have not honored many of my 3rd year rotations. I have also not done any research yet. My school does not have a derm program and it has been a few years since someone has matched in it from my school. I am also in a six year program, which I have been told is a big disadvantage. Do I even have a chance? Do I still have time to start on research?

I think a lot of your answers can be answered here (look at link)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=257599

You come from a 6-year BS/MD program and have no Derm residency program at your med school? If this is correct, I'm thinking you come from Univ of Missouri - Kansas City (UMKC) or Northeastern Ohio Univ College of Medicine (NEOUCOM). But I'm thinking you come from UMKC because I know NEOUCOM has matched in Derm the past few years.

Otherwise, it sounds like you're application is competitive...from your data, I would say your major weaknesses are:
1) Not honoring most of your 3rd year clerkships (the most important grades in med school)
2) Not having a home Derm Dept at your med school (no connections)
3) No research and/or publications.

You may want to consider taking a year off (before graduating med school) to work at an outside Derm Dept with a residency program and do research there. Contact your student affairs office and ask if this option is possible. I think this is a very feasible option in your unique situation because you graduated college and med school in just 6 years (you're young). It will also give you time to work on the weaknesses on your application (few connections, no research, no publications). I think this would increase your chances of matching into a Derm residency tremendously. It would truly show your commitment to the field of Derm.

Take care and Good Luck :luck: