Should I Do a Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon89

Hero of Hyrule
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My professor here advised me to think about doing a residency (become a peer tutor, etc etc) because he told me that retail pharmacy is dying and everything is gonna be automated, and because of that, if I do retail pharmacy I'll be replaced easily so it's a good idea for me to do a residency so I can do other things.

How true is this? Can anyone give me any advice on this? :) Thankss!!

Members don't see this ad.

If retail is being automated, there is CPOE (computerized physician order entry) being sought in hospitals... So pharmacists in either setting can be replaced. Don't make that one factor sway your decision.

If you want to do residency required work, then do a residency.

If not, then dont do one. I get sick and tired of professors preaching about the "greatness" of a pharm residency.

Retail still makes a good deal more than a residency trained PharmD.

Lastly, who knows what the future will hold.....just do what you like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retail still makes a good deal more than a residency trained PharmD.

For the most part, yeah, but I was talking to a hospital pharmacist today who told me that she's trying to hire an residency trained ID pharmacist for $125K/year starting (No not in SoCal either. It's in Georgia, outside of Atlanta). And guess what, she hasn't been able to find a single interested applicant.

Lastly, who knows what the future will hold.....just do what you like.

QFT.

If retail is being automated, there is CPOE (computerized physician order entry) being sought in hospitals... So pharmacists in either setting can be replaced. Don't make that one factor sway your decision.

Any pharmacist who has worked with CPOE knows their job is fully secure! It can help with misinterpreting physician handwriting...but opens up a whole other bunch of errors with ordering the wrong dose, route, frequency..

"I can see clearly you want vancomycin...but did you really mean to order 1000grams of it?"

Any pharmacist who has worked with CPOE knows their job is fully secure! It can help with misinterpreting physician handwriting...but opens up a whole other bunch of errors with ordering the wrong dose, route, frequency..

"I can see clearly you want vancomycin...but did you really mean to order 1000grams of it?"

Same with retail automation... there will always be a need for a human to check things. My point was to illustrate that the OP's professor was making a vague threat to make the student pursue a residency.

Same with retail automation... there will always be a need for a human to check things. My point was to illustrate that the OP's professor was making a vague threat to make the student pursue a residency.

Agreed, students should do residency because they want to, not because they think they have to. Residency is a tough, you have to go into it fully committed. There really is no way to half-ass it. There is nothing wrong with doing retail. Most students go into retail...and there is nothing wrong with that. The good thing about the profession is that you can choose different paths depending on your interests. Not everyone wants to be a clinical professor with 100's of publications and research. Leaving work and not having to worry about it isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:
My professor here advised me to think about doing a residency (become a peer tutor, etc etc) because he told me that retail pharmacy is dying and everything is gonna be automated, and because of that, if I do retail pharmacy I'll be replaced easily so it's a good idea for me to do a residency so I can do other things.

How true is this? Can anyone give me any advice on this? :) Thankss!!

i'm waiting for wvu pharm 2007 to see this.

residencies and academia, his two favorite things