Should I cut my losses and get a Patient Care Assistant position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frozen Flame

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright so if anyone has read my previous topic I recently got my EMT cert. I've been keeping my eye on getting an ER Tech position, but the freeze in my area is worse than I imagined. I started expanding my searches to other hospitals even farther away, and I haven't seen a single position. Now I've only waited a month, but I've been considering the option of taking a different position.

One hospital has told me they expect an ER Tech position soon. Now, every time I visit, the answer is the same, "About a few weeks from now". I don't get a definitive answer.

This same hospital has a few Patient Care Assistant positions available in med/surg and telemetry. A PCA is pretty much the same thing as an ER tech, but the work load is going to be a lot different. While an ER tech will be helping treat the wounds that come in, and do a lot of the Emergency Room-esque type work (Much of what was included in my EMT training), a Patient Care Tech on one of the floors is probably just a glorified CNA, giving baths and low scrub work. That and the only positions available are full time. Now honestly I don't mind pulling a midnight 7 pm - 7 am shift, I have a really easy schedule right now as a second semester senior. (Cooking in the morning, and then Senior English) But class starts at 7:30, so I'd be pulling all nighters before heading to class.

Not to sound condescending about it, I mean the reason I didn't continue the Health Care Assistant class at my High School was because I wasn't interested in the CNA cert, I wanted EMT. And going to a CNA type position seems like a step down for me. But then again, I really want to get my foot in the door, and it seems I could be sitting twiddling my thumb for a while waiting for an ER Tech position.

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know how much the ER Techs are allowed to do in your area, but ER Techs have to do much of the same CNA type work in the ER as well. Wiping butts, changing bedding cleaning rooms, ect. Yes the ER will get to go a few more exciting things, but if they aren't hiring I would take a job to get your foot in the door. Because right now your and EMT with no experience. Once you get a little under your belt it will make you more marketable. Good luck..

Maybe I am not understanding this well, but why get your EMT cert. if you are just going to work in a hospital setting.

When I worked in the hospital setting, the job tasks didn't vary that much and all that was required was less than a week of orientation. Why go through a few hundred hours of instruction for something you won't use ?

Are you going to work/volunteer with an ambulance service at all ? If not, then most of what you may have learned will not be used at all.

(don't mean to sound bitter - but there are many people out there who take the class just for med school/other purposes and never use their EMT cert....never made any sense to me)

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I am not understanding this well, but why get your EMT cert. if you are just going to work in a hospital setting.

When I worked in the hospital setting, the job tasks didn't vary that much and all that was required was less than a week of orientation. Why go through a few hundred hours of instruction for something you won't use ?

Are you going to work/volunteer with an ambulance service at all ? If not, then most of what you may have learned will not be used at all.

(don't mean to sound bitter - but there are many people out there who take the class just for med school/other purposes and never use their EMT cert....never made any sense to me)

In his defense at the hospital I now work at to be an ER Tech you have to be an EMT and to work as a medic in the ER you have to be well a Paramedic...

My Emt cert got me the position as a PCA I work on a trauma floor and I have fun. I like being there I learn a lot and the patients generally are grateful. Also I work the night shift and it completly messes up your sleep patterns. I generally work 3-12hour shifts a week thur, fri, sun and during the week I sometimes havt to take a shot of nyquil to get to bed - but the pay is good and the experience is pretty rewarding.