Medical Assistant - California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PASchoolAspirations

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

This is my first time using student doctor, so I apologize if I am not doing this correctly. I am a recent graduate with a Bachelors of Science in Biology, with the hopes of pursuing a career as a Physician Assistant. I am hoping to work as a Medical Assistant in California to satisfy some clinical hour experience for PA school.

However, I am having a hard time figuring out how to get certified/work as a Medical Assistant. Does anyone in California have some insight on the certification process? I have seen multiple online and in person programs for certification, but I am unclear on the differences.

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
make sure you do a program which results in you getting a certification recognized by the califonia state board of medical assistants.
I was an EMT/ER Tech/medical asst in CA in the 80s. back then to get your MA you had to draw blood 10 times and give 10 IM injections in the presence of an RN. I did it my first week as an ER tech and still have the certificate. now you have to complete a 6 month+ course to do the same thing.
see www.physicianassistantforum.com for more on the pa profession.