should I be doing locums?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1100659

Some of these jobs sound too good to be true, 40 hour work weeks for 450-500k a year. im sure the catch is the area isnt very desireable or people tend to get scared to do community psychiatry (which doesnt bother me). Anyone else have locums experience? The numbers seem hard to pass up

Members don't see this ad.

Some of these jobs sound too good to be true, 40 hour work weeks for 450-500k a year. im sure the catch is the area isnt very desireable or people tend to get scared to do community psychiatry (which doesnt bother me). Anyone else have locums experience? The numbers seem hard to pass up
You have to pay payroll taxes too, different from W2 income

How much is health in insurance if you’re married with a few kids?

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not for me. That amount of constant change with new people, systems, heck even laws in a lot of cases seems draining. I'll take stability. And definitely second the 1099 income part. You'll need a good accountant and you're not going to come out as ahead as it appears. There's also something just so mercenary about locums companies that really rubs me the wrong way.

You have to pay payroll taxes too, different from W2 income
sure, but only on the first $147000 of your income (i.e. not the vast majority) and all of the deductions you can make vs W2 is pretty good (you can even rent out an office in your home to your business and 3 martini lunches are 100% tax deductible for now). Nowadays (following the trump tax changes), being a contractor almost always works better than W2 for most higher earners. You can also contribute up to 61k to a solo 401k, and for some people there may be additional benefits of having an S corp, paying yourself a lower salary, and getting 20% pass through deduction.

Locum jobs can be good for people early on in their career (e.g. post residency), at the end of their careers (e.g. in retirement or near retirement), or for those who are otherwise unemployable (e.g. red flags such as disciplinary action, substance use disorders, severe mental illness etc). Locum positions aren't all bad, and aren't all in undesirable locations (there are locum positions in major metropolitan areas include LA, SF, NYC etc). However, outside of remote or rural locations, it almost always indicates incompetent management. BTW 450-500 is average for locum psychiatrists, there are higher paying positions out there, though often in correctional or state hospital facilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
sure, but only on the first $147000 of your income (i.e. not the vast majority) and all of the deductions you can make vs W2 is pretty good (you can even rent out an office in your home to your business and 3 martini lunches are 100% tax deductible for now). Nowadays (following the trump tax changes), being a contractor almost always works better than W2 for most higher earners. You can also contribute up to 61k to a solo 401k, and for some people there may be additional benefits of having an S corp, paying yourself a lower salary, and getting 20% pass through deduction.

Locum jobs can be good for people early on in their career (e.g. post residency), at the end of their careers (e.g. in retirement or near retirement), or for those who are otherwise unemployable (e.g. red flags such as disciplinary action, substance use disorders, severe mental illness etc). Locum positions aren't all bad, and aren't all in undesirable locations (there are locum positions in major metropolitan areas include LA, SF, NYC etc). However, outside of remote or rural locations, it almost always indicates incompetent management. BTW 450-500 is average for locum psychiatrists, there are higher paying positions out there, though often in correctional or state hospital facilities.
Yeah these were my thoughts. I’m early in my career, still considering opportunities. No kids either so health insurance won’t be a huge deal.

I already have to file 1099s because of my side hustle and have a pretty good accountant. I agree, there’s a lot of deductions you can take on that. Gas, office space, office supplies, utility bills for the office specifically. Pretty big list