Locums Pay Question/Confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was offered and accepted a locums position that stated in the agreement that:

"An hourly rate of $200 for services rendered, including up to twelve (12) hours of patient care."

Shifts were advertised as 8am-8pm by the hospital and recruiter. I talked to the doc in charge there and he said that you can usually leave around 2-3pm since the census isn't that high and can wait 24hrs for new consults. So my question is, do I clock my hours as 12hr shifts or only the hours that I worked?

The recruiter made it seem that it is 12 hr shifts and when I brought up the pay to the doc in charge there, he said it goes through the recruiter and didn't really answer the question.

So I am wondering from people who have experience doing inpatient locums, how does it typically work for set-ups like this? Does the wording above make it seem like it is for 12hrs per day or only the amount of time spent taking care of patients? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

My interpretation of that sentence is they will pay you up to a maximum of 12 hours per shift. That doesn’t mean they’ll pay you 12 hours if you’re only there for 8 but you should probably clarify with them. If you’re still responsible for your patients for all 12 hours, you should be paid for all 12 hours because you’re not truly “clocked out” then.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You definitely clock it as 12 hours, you are still on call from 8-8 so you obviously do not say you only worked 4 hours if it took you 4 hours because when you get called 9 hours later you still have to answer all patient related questions and concerns. I am doing a similar kind of job right now and that is what I do.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone doing locums and feel comfortable with me sending them a PM about a contract question?