This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camaka35

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am applying to MD programs for the 2018 application cycle. I have received some rejections but no interview invitations as of yet. While waiting to hear back, I am considering completing postbac programs to strengthen my application. Do you think this is something to consider with a 3.75 ugpa and a 504 mcat? I also have 2 + years of research experience with multiple poster presentations, have clinical experience in shadowing, volunteering, and 3 months as a medical scribe. For reference, I've applied to 20 MD programs.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Your gpa is fine. I think it's your mcat that might be holding you back. If you're not opposed to it I would consider adding some DO schools

Hi everyone,
I am applying to MD programs for the 2018 application cycle. I have received some rejections but no interview invitations as of yet. While waiting to hear back, I am considering completing postbac programs to strengthen my application. Do you think this is something to consider with a 3.75 ugpa and a 504 mcat? I also have 2 + years of research experience with multiple poster presentations, have clinical experience in shadowing, volunteering, and 3 months as a medical scribe. For reference, I've applied to 20 MD programs.

GPA isn't holding you back. It's the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Definitely do not do a post bacc your GPA is competitive and if in the post bacc your grades slip for whatever reason it could hurt your chances.

Are you a URM?
What was your exact school list?
When were your secondaries complete and submitted?

Definitely do not do a post bacc your GPA is competitive and if in the post bacc your grades slip for whatever reason it could hurt your chances.

Are you a URM?
What was your exact school list?
When were your secondaries complete and submitted?

Yes I am a URM. (African American female)

School list:
George Washington University- rejected
Rutgers University NJMS
Meharry Medical College
Temple School of Medicine
New York University SOM
Case Western SOM- rejected by college program, silence for university program
UAB SOM
Drexel COM- rejected
University of Maryland SOM- rejected
VCU SOM
Icahn at Mount Sinai SOM
Iowa Carver SOM
UNC SOM
Northwestern SOM
MUSC SOM
Morehouse COM
Rowan Medical School
Howard COM
Loyola Stritch SOM

Most of my secondaries were completed in late August, up to early october.

Would you recommend retaking the MCAT?

Just based on your stats from the AAMC information, 86.6% of those with similar stats received at least one acceptance. If I were in your shoes, I would not worry to much yet. You did submit your secondaries "late" which is probably why you have not heard back from to many schools. If you are interested in absolutely starting medical school next year you could send in a couple DO apps.

Are you sure there arnt any other red flags in your primary app, secondaries, or LOR? I would give those a second read If I were in your shoes. You need to make sure you come off a sincere about why you are interested in medicine. From your post you do sound like a strong MD applicant especially with your school list. If you don't hear anything by the end of this month I would prepare to reapply and possibly retake the MCAT, but not until at least the end of this month.

Hope this helps! I wish you the best throughout the rest of this cycle.