Should I apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LightShallBringVictory

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
(deleted)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Even if you received a 502 on the MCAT you would still be very competitive to most DO schools with your GPA. I think TouroCA and AZCOM screen for MCAT? That's what I've read on here before. For MD you should try and hit at least a 510. I feel that most people end up doing better on real test anyway. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Don't apply, because you asked me.
If you have to ask the opinion of others on the world wide web for decisions impacting your career maybe you should re-think your approach.
You're better asking your mom this question than

"Don't ever get angry at a man for stating the truth."

Members don't see this ad :)
I would wait to apply. You have solid stats so far so focus on studying for the MCAT until you have consistent, good scores and focus on increasing your volunteering. 180 hours is below average. Even if youre starting volunteering later this year, schools will not see that on your primary application.

Slow and steady wins the race. There is no reason why you have to apply ASAP (that includes the gap year) after graduating. Get some life experience and be a strong first time applicant with a great MCAT.

I would advocate delaying the MCAT until you can score higher.
Your GPAs and ECs will get you into MD if you can do well on the MCAT. Take a year to study for it and buff up your volunteering.