Should I apply or waste another year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patientcare1978

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

In 2011 year cycle, I applied to one school with 35 composite. I received an interview and was placed on waiting list, please don't ask where did I apply and how?. The end as I guess norm is not getting accepted. The waiting list gave me a hope that made me not able to see the dark side of not making it, so, I wasted time and with only three weeks to the last PCAT test date, I start reviewing for the PCAT all over again. It was not enough time to prepare. So, I scored:

Verbal : 36 ( unknow way of improvement)
Bio: 66
Reading:19 ( unknown way of improvement)
QA: 74
CHM: 81
Comp: 56

Now, I have learnt from my last year experience to have my options open; meaning apply to more schools but the question here is: By taking the last test date for the 2012 cycle,

1) Should I apply with the score list above or will I be wasting money and time? Please help with any action plan because I am starting to get confuse( GPA: 3.3 B.S in Chemistry/Biochemistry).

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

In 2011 year cycle, I applied to one school with 35 composite. I recieved an interview and was placed on waiting list, please don't ask where I apply and how?. The end as I guess norm is not getting accepted. The waiting list gaves me a hope that I didn't see dark side of not making it, so I wasted time and with only three weeks to the last PCAT test date, I start reviewing for the test all over again. It was not enough time to prepare. So, I scored:

Now, I have learnt from my last year experience to have my options open; meaning apply to more schools but the question here is: By taking last test date for the 2012 cycle,

1) Should I apply with the score list above or I will be wasting money and time? Please help with any action plan because I am starting to get confuse( GPA: 3.3 B.S in Chemistry/Biochemistry).

Thank you

By your own admission, you're wasting a year if you wait. Might as well give it a shot and see what happens. Your stats aren't great, but people certainly get in with worse.

Hello,

In 2011 year cycle, I applied to one school with 35 composite. I received an interview and was placed on waiting list, please don't ask where did I apply and how?. The end as I guess norm is not getting accepted. The waiting list gave me a hope that made me not able to see the dark side of not making it, so, I wasted time and with only three weeks to the last PCAT test date, I start reviewing for the PCAT all over again. It was not enough time to prepare. So, I scored:

Now, I have learnt from my last year experience to have my options open; meaning apply to more schools but the question here is: By taking the last test date for the 2012 cycle,

1) Should I apply with the score list above or will I be wasting money and time? Please help with any action plan because I am starting to get confuse( GPA: 3.3 B.S in Chemistry/Biochemistry).

Thank you

Give it a shot, though 56 isn't great, it's not a score in the 30s either.

Hello,

Thank you

do you have time to take the pcat again? maybe so you can score at least a 60? cuz then you'd have a much better chance. some schools accept jan scores if u wnna retake.

Why don't you put together a post in the WAMC thread in the Pre-Pharm board? That'll give a better idea than simply going off your PCAT score.

What about applying to schools that don't require PCAT? If that's the real stumbling block, you still have time to apply elsewhere.

I agree with R2pharmD2 - if you're phrasing it as "wasting a year," you've already answered your own question.