Shipping LORs - post office, UPS, etc. ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dc2md

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are you all telling your letter writer to ship/send your LOR when they're done? Of course assuming you've waived your right to see it. You can't just give them a stamped envelope and be able to track the letter. I think you gotta track it some how. Otherwise it'll be a week since you sent it and you'll wonder if it got lost in the mail or they just haven't posted it. All my letter writers are at one hospital and I'm thinking of having all of 'em give the letter to the med student coordinator and have her send 'em. Whatever. Just wondering how everyone else is handling it.

And does anyone know how long it takes to post on ERAS?

Members don't see this ad.

How are you all telling your letter writer to ship/send your LOR when they're done? Of course assuming you've waived your right to see it. You can't just give them a stamped envelope and be able to track the letter. I think you gotta track it some how. Otherwise it'll be a week since you sent it and you'll wonder if it got lost in the mail or they just haven't posted it. All my letter writers are at one hospital and I'm thinking of having all of 'em give the letter to the med student coordinator and have her send 'em. Whatever. Just wondering how everyone else is handling it.

And does anyone know how long it takes to post on ERAS?

-C-

http://www.brinksinc.com/ if you're really paranoid. The coordinator should be the one to upload. They shouldn't need "shipping."

Good one pox. As a US FMGs, our "dean's office" is ECFMG, not our actual school's dean's office as with US med schools. So we have to send our picture and LORs to ECFMG so they can be scanned into the ERAS system.

Good one pox. As a US FMGs, our "dean's office" is ECFMG, not our actual school's dean's office as with US med schools. So we have to send our picture and LORs to ECFMG so they can be scanned into the ERAS system.

Seems like the validity of "waiving your right to see a letter" is void if you are personally sending letters to your ECFMG.

Seems like the validity of "waiving your right to see a letter" is void if you are personally sending letters to your ECFMG.

Thats true...that's why IMGs usually never send any confidential letters.

Also, there have been instances where IMG did send confidential letters but the letters were below average and it was looked at negatively by the PDs. Hence, most foreign schools advice to read the letter before sending it.

The LORs at our clinical program are given to the medical student coordinator who then sends them to ECFMG/ERAS. WE (the students) never see the letter if we've waived our right. The coordinator reads them and puts em in our file, and therefore she'll let us know if we shouldn't use a particular letter or not. But in general, the attending you're asking to write the letter won't agree to write it unless he/she liked you...and you won't be asking the attendings who didn't like you...unless you're too stupid to know how poorly you did. Don't they all give you a mini eval in writing with your grade after the rotation.