Shenandoah University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does any one know Which campus is better? Winchester or Ashburn? and If someone got accepted for one campus, can he transfer to other one?

Members don't see this ad.

Does any one know Which campus is better? Winchester or Ashburn? and If someone got accepted for one campus, can he transfer to other one?

I choose Winchester because it's a main campus and bigger class size 85 students vs 45 students in Ashburn. Ashburn will get the video conference during lecture with the Winchester campus. Most of the prof is in Winchester. The cost of living is cheaper than Ashburn. Ashburn is more sub-urban vs. Winchester is rural. Ashburn is 10 mins away from the airport. Once you got accepted from one campus, I believe you can choose which one you want to go once you get accepted. Cindy said I can choose to go to Ashburn or Winchester..but after the first yr, i am not sure you can transfer to different campus or not. I hope this help :) After all it depends on what type of learner you are. I want my prof in the classroom physically, so that's why I choose Winchester over Ashburn.

Last edited:
Thank you, I got admission for winchester. I may transfer it to Ashburn if i decide to attend Shenandoah.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys... I have a question about recommendation letters? On the PharmCAS, it says the following on the school page:

LOR types that are REQUIRED:
  • Professor (Liberal Arts)
  • Professor (Math)
  • Professor (Science)
Does this mean that Shenandoah requires a recommendation from our Math and Liberal Arts professors as well? Is that is the case, then it's going to be a problem for me since I did not have these and my PharmCas has been long submitted.

Can I also ask you guys who did you have your recommendation letters from? (I had mine from 2 science professors and a pharmacist).

I will really appreciate any help!

Thanks

Hi guys... I have a question about recommendation letters? On the PharmCAS, it says the following on the school page:

LOR types that are REQUIRED:
  • Professor (Liberal Arts)
  • Professor (Math)
  • Professor (Science)
Does this mean that Shenandoah requires a recommendation from our Math and Liberal Arts professors as well? Is that is the case, then it's going to be a problem for me since I did not have these and my PharmCas has been long submitted.

Can I also ask you guys who did you have your recommendation letters from? (I had mine from 2 science professors and a pharmacist).

I will really appreciate any help!

Thanks

Thats weird. I only had recommendations from two pharmacist and a science professor and I was accepted. I have no idea why it says that.

I believe it means at least 1 from one of those professors is required, I had 2 pharmacists, 1 pro. and 1 work supervisor .

Good Luck

Im interviewing this friday dec 16 idk if i wanna go there tho.. im gonna go check it out

Im interviewing this friday dec 16 idk if i wanna go there tho.. im gonna go check it out

For the people who have interviewed / been accepted: How long after you submitted your supplement did you start hearing about interviews? Thanks! :)

For the supplemental, did you guys just mail a check with like a letter saying "Hi Cynthia, I am applying for the Fall 2012 PharmD program. Here is my $30 supplemental fee. Thank you."? I can't find the actual supplemental app :-/

For the supplemental, did you guys just mail a check with like a letter saying "Hi Cynthia, I am applying for the Fall 2012 PharmD program. Here is my $30 supplemental fee. Thank you."? I can't find the actual supplemental app :-/
Yep, you just send in a letter with a check. I typed mine a bit more formally in a business letter style. Make sure you include all of your pertinent information.. pharmcas ID, etc. :)

Yep, you just send in a letter with a check. I typed mine a bit more formally in a business letter style. Make sure you include all of your pertinent information.. pharmcas ID, etc. :)

Ok thanks gtpmle. I will be getting that done tmw before work :)

I just received my acceptance email today. I interviewed on 12/23/11. I'm not sure if I want to go here or not. I did like the school and I like that you have a smaller class size at this campus. But I am trying to decide if I would prefer a more research oriented school. But those schools are much further away from my boyfriend of many years...BAH!! I hate having to make grown-up decisions sometimes.

Good luck to those of you who are interviewing/awaiting decisions!

I just received my acceptance email today. I interviewed on 12/23/11. I'm not sure if I want to go here or not. I did like the school and I like that you have a smaller class size at this campus. But I am trying to decide if I would prefer a more research oriented school. But those schools are much further away from my boyfriend of many years...BAH!! I hate having to make grown-up decisions sometimes.

Good luck to those of you who are interviewing/awaiting decisions!
Thanks for the info Luminitsa :) How soon did you get an interview invite after pharmcas mailed your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
They received the initial mailing on 9/26 and revisions on 10/10 & 11/7. I was offered the invitation to interview on 11/19. The interview was very relaxed. They do a "blind" interview where the people who meet with you have no prior knowledge of what is included in your application (GPA, PCAT, LOR, etc.). I met with 2 professors bc it was during the holiday break so students were not on campus. They were both very pleasant and gave me ample opportunity to ask them questions as well.

I just had my interview. It went quite well I must say. The staff were very kind and welcoming. I really want to go to this school. I am nervous because this has been my only interview so far. My pcat score was not high at all! and my science gpa is 2.78 my overall is a 3.3. Not very high. I really need to get in. Does Shenandoah University interview everyone that applies and then select after (some schools do that) ? or do i have a good chance of getting accepted since I was granted an interview?

But it is a great school and the faculty care about the students. I would love to go here I just hope I will get accepted.

Shenandoah does not interview everyone. They only interview people they consider accepting. It depends on their overall picture- grades, PCAT scores, application, and interview. You'd have to really have poor grades, application, and bad interview to not get accepted. There is the option of being put on the alternate list. But, that isn't a bad thing either. Many people have come off the alternate list to be students at Shenandoah.

Shenandoah does not interview everyone. They only interview people they consider accepting. It depends on their overall picture- grades, PCAT scores, application, and interview. You'd have to really have poor grades, application, and bad interview to not get accepted. There is the option of being put on the alternate list. But, that isn't a bad thing either. Many people have come off the alternate list to be students at Shenandoah.

Thanks. I appreciate it. I do hope I get in.

You don't have to have them from all of those professors. I think those are just options to choose from.

Does anyone have any idea about financial aid offerings from SU since it's a private university? I know it's harder to get aid outside of loans for professional degrees than undergrad. I would prefer to go to a school in the DC/VA/MD area due to personal reasons but I have to say that future loan debt is a major contributor to my decision and an in-state school is substantially cheaper than any of the schools up north which I have applied to.

I sent my pharmcas and check last month and still heard nothing from them! How long do they take to reply to you?

I sent my pharmcas and check last month and still heard nothing from them! How long do they take to reply to you?
I sent mine off end of December, but haven't heard anything since. The check has been cashed so they at least have received it. I'm assuming they're not interested or else it may just be because it's getting later in the cycle and they're swamped with applications. I'd maybe check to see that they have all of your stuff in. It's all a big waiting game..

I sent mine off end of December, but haven't heard anything since. The check has been cashed so they at least have received it. I'm assuming they're not interested or else it may just be because it's getting later in the cycle and they're swamped with applications. I'd maybe check to see that they have all of your stuff in. It's all a big waiting game..

Oh ok, so me and you prob sent it around the same time. Did you ever called the school to check if they have all your stuff?

Oh ok, so me and you prob sent it around the same time. Did you ever called the school to check if they have all your stuff?
I haven't, actually. Applying here was kind of a late decision for me, so not sure if I'm really all that serious about it. One of those "eh, why not" things :)

I had my interview on this past Friday, and am hoping to hear good news from them soon!

Very relaxed interview, made me feel welcome and I hope I made a good enough impression to get in. :thumbup:

I had my interview on this past Friday, and am hoping to hear good news from them soon!

Very relaxed interview, made me feel welcome and I hope I made a good enough impression to get in. :thumbup:

Congrats on getting the interview. Would you mind sharing a few tips or advice about the interview? And if I may ask about your stats?

Congrats on getting the interview. Would you mind sharing a few tips or advice about the interview? And if I may ask about your stats?
Thanks!

The interview at the Ashburn campus was very relaxed -- I had two faculty members. Both were very welcoming and my interview surprisingly lasted about an hour. I would suggest you just be yourself and just let them know why you want pharmacy, and why you would be a good fit for their school. I hope I did because I really liked it over there. :D

I've had a few years between my undergrad and what I am trying to pursue right now.

My stats are below average really; however, my life story and personal statement plays a big role here -- which is why I believe I got the interview invite in the first place. I believe if a school did take the time to read my personal statement, they knew I really wanted to be in this profession.

Thanks!

The interview at the Ashburn campus was very relaxed -- I had two faculty members. Both were very welcoming and my interview surprisingly lasted about an hour. I would suggest you just be yourself and just let them know why you want pharmacy, and why you would be a good fit for their school. I hope I did because I really liked it over there. :D

I've had a few years between my undergrad and what I am trying to pursue right now.

My stats are below average really; however, my life story and personal statement plays a big role here -- which is why I believe I got the interview invite in the first place. I believe if a school did take the time to read my personal statement, they knew I really wanted to be in this profession.

I am sure that you did great and will get accepted soon. Thanks for the feedback! Very helpful!! I'm sure your modest about your stats but I believe that you are a strong candidate! Best of luck!

How do you know this?

How do you know this?
I also had the same impression when I interviewed that they invite you with a pretty good idea that they will admit you if things are a good fit with you. Shenandoah has greatly impressed me. The people you will deal with are very warm and they seem set up to invest in their students. Best of luck to you in this process

I also had the same impression when I interviewed that they invite you with a pretty good idea that they will admit you if things are a good fit with you. Shenandoah has greatly impressed me. The people you will deal with are very warm and they seem set up to invest in their students. Best of luck to you in this process
Did you get accepted to Shenandoah/going there?

Last edited:
I have paid the deposit but I am still waiting to hear from another school that is instate for me.

I have paid the deposit but I am still waiting to hear from another school that is instate for me.
Nice, hope you get into the school you want to.

Last edited:
anyone else hear anything? i got put on alternate list. :scared:

Have you heard any thing from Shenandoah? i sent my application two weeks ago but still hear nothing from them even though I get three other interviews so far but not Shenandoah. :(

For anyone currently attending SU, I have a few questions.

1. For 4th year rotations, are your rotations set by the curriculum or are there a variety for you to choose between (i.e. academic, research, psychiatric, out of state, international, etc)?

2. Does the school's relationship with the United Methodist Church play any role in student life or the pharmD program? I'm not a Christian so I want to be sure that there is no mandatory participation in anything affiliated (courses, events, etc.) with the religious institution.

Have you heard any thing from Shenandoah? i sent my application two weeks ago but still hear nothing from them even though I get three other interviews so far but not Shenandoah. :(

Still nothing yet! I have gotten over 5 interviews at other schools and already accepted to two of them and still hear nothing from this school. Do u know when they are ending their interviews??

Still nothing yet! I have gotten over 5 interviews at other schools and already accepted to two of them and still hear nothing from this school. Do u know when they are ending their interviews??
Congrats! What schools did you accept and think about going to?

@pharmlov & Phuong Le: If you are actually interested in attending this school (over those where you may have already been accepted) I would suggest sending an email to one of the admissions coordinators inquiring as to the status of your application and provide your PharmCas ID. The same thing happened to me with one of the schools I had applied to and it turned out that my PharmCas info had never been updated with them. Once I contacted the school, they looked into, updated the info, and offered me an interview the same day.

From SU site: Witty, Cynthia, Admissions Coordinator/Traditional Program e-mail:[email protected]

@pharmlov & Phuong Le: If you are actually interested in attending this school (over those where you may have already been accepted) I would suggest sending an email to one of the admissions coordinators inquiring as to the status of your application and provide your PharmCas ID. The same thing happened to me with one of the schools I had applied to and it turned out that my PharmCas info had never been updated with them. Once I contacted the school, they looked into, updated the info, and offered me an interview the same day.

From SU site: Witty, Cynthia, Admissions Coordinator/Traditional Program e-mail:[email protected]

:D Thanks! I will send immediately!!!!!!!

Just got notice last week that I got an interview at Shenandoah! Interview in two weeks and really looking forward to it, they are one of my two top choices.

Just got notice last week that I got an interview at Shenandoah! Interview in two weeks and really looking forward to it, they are one of my two top choices.
Congrats, which school at your interviewing at?

When did you apply? And may I ask your stats?

Still haven't heard anything pharmlov?

Still haven't heard anything pharmlov?

Nothing yet!! I heard back from 10 other pharm schools and nothing from this one!! :confused: Oh no! What should I do? I exhausted all options of contacting the school. I tried to call TWICE to verify and they keep telling me that my application is under review. Everyone seems to be getting interviews except me!!! :(

Nothing yet!! I heard back from 10 other pharm schools and nothing from this one!! :confused: Oh no! What should I do? I exhausted all options of contacting the school. I tried to call TWICE to verify and they keep telling me that my application is under review. Everyone seems to be getting interviews except me!!! :(
Well if you've heard back from 10 other schools, why are you worried? :confused: Is this your first choice?

Well if you've heard back from 10 other schools, why are you worried? :confused: Is this your first choice?

This is my second choice. My first choice is also unresponsive as well. Story of my life. I still have three interviews planned but I don't plan to go once I get an interview to my first and second choice. All I hope is for is to get at least one interview for my top 2 choice! :xf:

I got my interview invitation yesterday on the way to my Notre Dame interview. I called them to ask for an earlier interview than the day they set for me and they accepted it. It was super excited to go to Shenandoah! I would like to ask if there is any big difference between Ashburn and Winchester campus (rotation, curriculum, learning, networking,...)? it seems like people prefer Winchester due to the direct interaction with professors, but I live near to Ashburn so it can save me lots of money for living in 4 years.

I got my interview invitation yesterday on the way to my Notre Dame interview. I called them to ask for an earlier interview than the day they set for me and they accepted it. It was super excited to go to Shenandoah! I would like to ask if there is any big difference between Ashburn and Winchester campus (rotation, curriculum, learning, networking,...)? it seems like people prefer Winchester due to the direct interaction with professors, but I live near to Ashburn so it can save me lots of money for living in 4 years.
Congrats! How did your Notre Dame interview go, and which is your top choice? I've heard great things about both schools.