Share Your Stories of Woe and Misfortune

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gschl1234

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking last week how lucky I'd been this semester not to have gotten sick at all. I wake up this morning with a sore throat and stuffy head and it's getting worse and worse by the hour. My finals are in the coming week. :( Anyone have a similar story?

Members don't see this ad.

woe and misfortune? let's not be melodramatic. sounds like the common cold.

doc05 said:
woe and misfortune? let's not be melodramatic. sounds like the common cold.
I was trying to be funny. Sheesh :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a door fall on me. Not that terrible but completely random. I mean seriously do you know many people who can say they were just sitting around and a door fell on them. It fell on my writing hand and shoulder and I have a bruise in the shape of a door corner on my hand.

I had mono in the middle of first year. I was really sick for like two weeks. I still don't know how I made it through that semester.

randomlogik said:
I had mono in the middle of first year. I was really sick for like two weeks. I still don't know how I made it through that semester.

I have a buddy who got mono in the middle of our physical exam course. Sucked for him, but great for us--we all got to feel his liver and spleen. :scared:

I got a fortune cookie Friday that had no fortune in it. But I just cracked it open and found that out an hour ago. So now my question is, am I past the point in time it was predicting, or is it still ahead of me???? :eek:

gschl1234 said:
I was just thinking last week how lucky I'd been this semester not to have gotten sick at all. I wake up this morning with a sore throat and stuffy head and it's getting worse and worse by the hour. My finals are in the coming week. :( Anyone have a similar story?

Standard fare for me. I was sick during finals both semesters of MS 1 & 2 and some of the midterms weeks, too. :rolleyes:

I am not sick, but I do have some woe and misfortune.

2 weeks ago I bought a new 2005 car. It had a few miles on it, and I was told that it was not a demo, but the dealer just drove it around. They reduced the price due to the mileage, and I bought the car.

Well, on Friday at 4:30pm, the lady from the dealership title office called me to tell me that my title wouldn't go through because the car had been reported as stolen...before I bought it!!! So this dealership sold me a new *stolen* car!

I will spend tomorrow in the DMV office and then with the owner of the dealership trying to get a different, new car (of course, for no extra charge). There is no way I want to drive around a car that had been stolen. Who knows who drove it or what was done in it?!?!?

To think, the whole reason I bit the bullet and traded in my Wrangler was so that I could have a new car that wouldn't need any work and wouldn't be any hassel during med school.

Here are a couple:

On Medicine:

Thursday afternoon, thought I was getting a URI, possibly sinusitis, as I tend to get a couple times a year. Friday afternoon, feeling worse, low-grade fever, starting to pop sudafed. Saturday: ON CALL - that's right, on call. By this point, have developed sore throat, fevers to 102-103, but at the hospital, ON CALL. Popping tylenol and sudafed to remain functional. Sunday: have to sit down on rounds before I pass out. Monday: finally make it to student health and find out that not only do I have sinusitis, but also very likely strep throat as well. Now that was a miserable weekend.

On Surgery last week:

Got to work at 5:00 am feeling pretty good. Rounded, headed for the OR. Scrubbed in, the I realize I don't feel so hot. I tell the attending and resident and they have me scrub out. I go get some water, thinking maybe I'm just dry. Helps a little. Feeling pretty OK, I scrub back in. 5 minutes later, bigtime wave of nausea, scrub back out. That's right, scrubbed out of the same case twice! Went and lied down in the call room for a couple hours, abdominal pain got worse, accompanied by nausea and diarrhea. Ended up going home and missing the next day with what I think was food poisoning. No fun at all.

I've spent the cost of a Jeep to go to interviews and still don't have a categorical residency position.
I'm trying to sell everything in my apartment and my car to go to a few more...

middle of finals my m1 year, it's about 3am and i've just gotten to bed when my cell phone starts ringing frantically. i drag my sorry, exhausted *ss out of bed... the call goes something like this:

caller: are you tim?
me: :::grunt:::
caller: i'm calling from X hospital (whatever hospital is in decatur, il)
me: :::grunt grunt::: what's your point?
caller: we have your brother here in the ED, he's pretty drunk and may have taken other substances... we need to pump his stomach.
me: so? do it.
caller: well, you're listed as the emergency contact... we need written authorization... you'll need to come out here.

yeah... i was in urbana-champaign for my m1 year; my brother was 45 minutes away as a freshman at millikin university. and, my parents thought it would be a good idea to name me the emergency contact without bothering to tell me... good thing i had a very reasonable and accomodating dean, else finals could've been very very bad...

-t

GITM said:
I've spent the cost of a Jeep to go to interviews and still don't have a categorical residency position.
I'm trying to sell everything in my apartment and my car to go to a few more...

Wow, is it really that bad? I'm kind of worried about that myself. I'm located in Texas and there's programs I'm hoping to check out on both coasts. Of course, it may turn that I suck and don't get interviews at any of them. I guess that would sort of solve the problem. Has anyone else found the cost of interviewing prohibitive?

The night before an anatomy exam I stayed in the lab until 2AM. I got in my car for the 30 minute drive home but there was a huge accident on the highway. The road was closed for 9 hours. The cops started redirecting traffic around 5AM. I was at a stand-still for 3 hours. This was in December. Luckily, it was not too cold but cold enough that I needed some warmth. I could not let my car idle for 3 hours as I had only 1/4 tank of gas in the car.

There was nothing I could do but wait. It was awful. I tried to sleep but could not. When traffic was redirected, I had no idea how to get home and had to drive back to school. I came back on campus at 530AM. I tried napping in the student lounge but that was difficult. I squeaked in three hours of sleep.

I took the exam later that afternoon. I thought I was doing okay until upon reviewing my answers I started to nod off. It was a miserable day. I barely passed the exam and barely passed the class. My instructor would not let me retake the test.

bmcgilligan said:
I am not sick, but I do have some woe and misfortune.

2 weeks ago I bought a new 2005 car. It had a few miles on it, and I was told that it was not a demo, but the dealer just drove it around. They reduced the price due to the mileage, and I bought the car.

Well, on Friday at 4:30pm, the lady from the dealership title office called me to tell me that my title wouldn't go through because the car had been reported as stolen...before I bought it!!! So this dealership sold me a new *stolen* car!

I will spend tomorrow in the DMV office and then with the owner of the dealership trying to get a different, new car (of course, for no extra charge). There is no way I want to drive around a car that had been stolen. Who knows who drove it or what was done in it?!?!?

To think, the whole reason I bit the bullet and traded in my Wrangler was so that I could have a new car that wouldn't need any work and wouldn't be any hassel during med school.

Update....
I went to the dealership today and they corrected their mistake by giving me a new car, one that hasn't been stolen. (It had less miles on it too...only 7!)