Could a two physician couple share one job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NicMouse64

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fiance and I are considering the same specialty. With starting a family and everything we are being realistic that it probably won't be possible for both of us to work full time. We know that mommy tracks are out there, but thought it might be more beneifical to "share" a full time position if that were possible. We would share responsiblities for call, days on, etc. The discussion came up of if we did the same specialty, could we share a "full time" position and split the call, days on, and reap the benefits of a full time position (health insurance, etc.) due to being married and those benefits extending to family? Not familiar with employment contracts or if that is even possible, my gut feeling says no. FYI we are considering Anesthesia or IM hospitalist.

Members don't see this ad.

If you were considering primary care, then sure. There are plenty of physician couples who open a practice together and make it work.

Since you're talking about salaried positions where a hospital hires you, then not really. But plenty of hospitals will hire each of you as a 0.5 FTE, and usually being 0.5FTE+ will get you benefits. Worst case scenario, one of you is 0.6FTE and the other is 0.4 to ensure that one of you gets benefits. So, in the end, it won't matter.

Reactions: 1 users
If you were considering primary care, then sure. There are plenty of physician couples who open a practice together and make it work.

Since you're talking about salaried positions where a hospital hires you, then not really. But plenty of hospitals will hire each of you as a 0.5 FTE, and usually being 0.5FTE+ will get you benefits. Worst case scenario, one of you is 0.6FTE and the other is 0.4 to ensure that one of you gets benefits. So, in the end, it won't matter.
I've heard .5FTE*2 is often paid less than one full time position, which is part of the reason for pursuing the whole one job, two people route.

Members don't see this ad :)
My outpatient IM rotation in med school was with an IM doc who saw patients from like 8:30 til 3, and his wife was FM and saw patients from like 10 til 4, so they had a nanny or something watch their kid from 10 til 3. They were private practice together and somehow made it work.

But employed positions, probably not. There's a lot of extra expense that goes into a single job position (licensing, CME, malpractice insurance, etc) that it's not really practical to 'share' the job. As NAPD said, you could likely both work at the same place part-time, but probably not job share.

Not sure if that type of job sharing is possible. The pay will depend on a million factors. Some jobs are hourly, and the fraction of FTE doesn’t matter.

I would suggest trying to work full time for a few years to build your skills and get in a good routine before cutting back but you’ll decide what’s right for you (obviously depends on how old you are when you finish training and where you are in the child production phase).

Not sure if that type of job sharing is possible. The pay will depend on a million factors. Some jobs are hourly, and the fraction of FTE doesn’t matter.

I would suggest trying to work full time for a few years to build your skills and get in a good routine before cutting back but you’ll decide what’s right for you (obviously depends on how old you are when you finish training and where you are in the child production phase).
I'm mid 20s and she's 21 (both 3rd years). There's no rush, it would just suck to be "building" my skills while my children are growing and neither of us being able to care for them because we are both working 60 hours/week.

I'm mid 20s and she's 21 (both 3rd years). There's no rush, it would just suck to be "building" my skills while my children are growing and neither of us being able to care for them because we are both working 60 hours/week.
There’s plenty of full time jobs closer to 32-40 hours per week.

Reactions: 3 users
Sharing a job is definitely possible, especially in private practice. One problem is that, if you are sharing one job and covering for each other, it may be hard to get vacation at the same time. Alternatively, you can each work part-time, or do locum tenens.

In my opinion, both go the IM or FM route. Pleanty of jobs netting 32-36 hours with 200k salary. Two physician just working 32 ish hours each and having plenty of time off. And can make around 400k. Thats plenty of money and time to enjoy it and spoil your kids.

also mommy track in anesthesia can net you 200k at least

I imagine it wouldn’t be hard to talk a hospital or practice into the idea if you’re going into primary care. It’s so hard to fill those positions in some areas some may be very willing to work with you—you’d really just have to ask. As mentioned above, they’d likely hire you both as half-time docs (or 60/40 if that’s what it takes to get benefits).

Personally I think it’s a great idea. One full time job between the two of you, one full time stay-at-home parent. But all 50/50-ish. Life sounds much nicer that way

Reactions: 4 users
Not exactly an on-topic post, but here goes: My wife is not a physician, but the plan in the future is for her to not work. She makes above the median salary working full-time. But that is still only going to be a quarter of my future salary (and that's worst case scenario as I want to do outpatient FM). If we really want or need that extra salary she would have provided, I could simply pick up urgent care shifts or do LOCUMs or heck just start seeing more patients as I begin practicing longer. Sounds similar to the 50/50 work proposal here, but her half is taking care of the house/kids (so long as she chooses that over working, I'm cool with it)

Maybe others can comment on this but I think you guys are going to have a VERY hard time couples matching into the same specialty/same program. Maybe less trouble in the same city but you'll still be competing against each other for residency spots. My program would not want that drama in the event something went wrong. Why doesn't one of you just do anesthesia and the other IM? That would be a relatively easy couples match.

Maybe others can comment on this but I think you guys are going to have a VERY hard time couples matching into the same specialty/same program. Maybe less trouble in the same city but you'll still be competing against each other for residency spots. My program would not want that drama in the event something went wrong. Why doesn't one of you just do anesthesia and the other IM? That would be a relatively easy couples match.
I know many couples that match both in IM

She will be a year behind me in any case due to certain circumstances....

Is this in the US? I ask because it's unusual to hear of a 21yo 3rd year med student in the US, and if it's not, the answer to your question may be totally different.

There are a lot of setups like this and it is definitely possible. Word of caution though: you shouldn’t do this directly out of residency. You grow a lot your first few years out as an attending and working part time will make you a worse doctor.

Reactions: 2 users
Is this in the US? I ask because it's unusual to hear of a 21yo 3rd year med student in the US, and if it's not, the answer to your question may be totally different.
very unsual, but is possible my school got a 16yr on second year

Gonna second this. I've seen some hospitalist positions that can be shared as a one week on three weeks off arrangement with two people having half a FTE each

I don’t see why not especially in primary care and private practice. I agree that plenty of hospitals could be talked into this too.
There are also jobs out there where you are FTE but don’t have a typical schedule. Like some clinics consider a 4 day week full time. Hospitalists can have varied schedules; for mine I am FTE but work 3 12’s a week. Other shift work specialties like anesthetisa, ER. I also know a decent number of people who work 0.8 FTE (IDK why this is a common number but it is among people I know lol).

Reactions: 1 user