Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ag2010

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions on shadowing what it's about. I've been told that shadowing is highly recommended for application to optometry schools, and also a way for you to know if this is what you want to do. I was wondering if anyone could tell me exactly what you do when shadowing an optometrist, is it just following them around, or is there more too it? And also, what kinds of etiquette are there, do I need to dress a certain way or things like that?

Thanks i'd really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few questions on shadowing what it's about. I've been told that shadowing is highly recommended for application to optometry schools, and also a way for you to know if this is what you want to do. I was wondering if anyone could tell me exactly what you do when shadowing an optometrist, is it just following them around, or is there more too it? And also, what kinds of etiquette are there, do I need to dress a certain way or things like that?

Thanks i'd really appreciate it.

Depends on the doc you shadow...if you get a good doc to shadow you dont just watch them work sometimes they teach you extra stuff/let you help out...and if you're lucky try to get a job in the office...and yes dress nice if you show up looking like you rolled out of bed or are wearing jeans...look professional/casual professional whatever the atmosphere is like in the office you choose.

After asking over the phone, of course, I chose to wear my scrubs!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would dress nice...black pants/khakis and a nice shirt when I was shadowing because its a professional environment. Also, shadowing is not just recommended but REQUIRED before you apply to optometry schools. They all require that you get a letter of recommendation from a practicing optometrist. When I was shadowing one, I followed her around all day and I also think its nice to help out the technicians or the staff with little things but don't try to take over the office or anything. For example, I helped with pulling files for patients or re-filing and stuff.

An easy way to find docs to shadow is to go with your friends/family to their eye appointments. While you're there you can observe the office and the exam, and talk to the doc about your interest in optometry.

I have shadowed alot. Really all you do is follow them around. Some will fill you in on all the details others will just be more quiet. Depends on the personality.

is it better to shadow more than 1 optometrist for a shorter period of time per optometrist? or spend more time with a single optometrist?

Also, how long did you guys usually spend shadowing an optometrist?

hey all,
from your past experiences, did you get a better response from calling the optometrist and asking if you can shadow, or writing them a letter?
if its writing a letter, how do you go about that? what do you write? and when do you call back to follow up?
thank you so much!

luckyxsmurf, I'm wondering the same thing. I've called optometrist offices and a couple said they'd call me back and took my info, but I didn't get any calls back :(. I was thinking it might be better to go in person. But now that you mention a letter, that sounds good, too...

I worked for my OD for two years. I went in asking to shadow (aka not get paid) but they had an opening for another employee so I took it. I've known him since I was little, so all I did was call the office and see what I could do. I learned a LOT working there... the first year I worked in the office and pre-tested, etc. but the second year I worked in the optical which was great. I didn't get a lot of chances to spend time watching exams, but basically my entire extended family sees him so when they came in I did sit in. The office I worked at was okay with either dressing nice or wearing scrubs. I didn't do the scrubs because I wasn't trying to spend money on clothes I'd never wear after I was done working there.

If calling doesn't work, go in person, with a letter. Drop it off with the manager (make sure it has your contact info). At least that way they'll know your intentions.

I'll be reapplying to Optometry school this year. I have worked for an Optometrist for one year, and I will begin shadowing an OD who specializes in ocular disease this week. I was lucky enough to have my Optometrist and co-worker recommend him to me. If you are able to shadow a doctor in a city, or a low-income area I think that's a good idea. You will see many rare cases rather than basic refractions. Also, doctors are very busy this time of year. If they don't get back to you don't think that they rejected you. It's a good idea to write them, or ask to make a short appointment with them. If you can get in with their secretaries they can tell you when would be a good time to contact the OD. Good luck!

-eyelove