Are shadowing hours mandatory?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flossybird

Reaction score
Are shadowing hours mandatory for optometry school applications? If so how many hours?

Members don't see this ad.

The above document might be a bit outdated but it shows which schools require shadowing or not.

Personally, I have shadowed 6 disciplines for about ~35 hours, if for nothing else, it would give you an idea on which area you may want to focus on.

Reactions: 1 user
I shadowed for 10 hours only and got interviews from all 5 schools I applied to. I did apply this cycle so perhaps schools were lenient due to the pandemic. I suggest using as many avenues possible to learn about the profession, and to mention them in your application (podcasts, books, informational interviews, online shadowing, etc). Shadowing is mandatory because it demonstrates understanding of what it means to be an optometrist and most importantly, whether you can envision yourself as one.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I shadowed for 10 hours only and got interviews from all 5 schools I applied to. I did apply this cycle so perhaps schools were lenient due to the pandemic. I suggest using as many avenues possible to learn about the profession, and to mention them in your application (podcasts, books, informational interviews, online shadowing, etc). Shadowing is mandatory because it demonstrates understanding of what it means to be an optometrist and most importantly, whether you can envision yourself as one.
What were those 5 schools if you don't mind me asking?