Shadowing Etiquette (What do I do?)

smartc00kie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am shadowing a Pharmacist this weekend and I have absolutely no idea what to expect. How should I dress? What should I expect? How long should I stay? I am interested in applying to several preferred admissions programs for Pharmacy, so should I ask for a letter of recommendation?

Advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am shadowing a Pharmacist this weekend and I have absolutely no idea what to expect. How should I dress? What should I expect? How long should I stay? I am interested in applying to several preferred admissions programs for Pharmacy, so should I ask for a letter of recommendation?

Advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Wear a shirt and tie (or equivalent professional garb if you're a gal).

When you get there, go ahead and ask how long they'd like to have you around "so you don't overstay your welcome".

In general, shadowing involves staying out of the way and watching what's going on. Hopefully they'll explain things to you as it's going on, if not they'll hopefully encourage you to ask questions or they might give you some things they'll let you do. It really depends on the level of comfort the person you're shadowing has with you.

I wouldn't ask for a LOR after just one day. What I'd do is explain that you're interested in applying to accelerated pharm programs, ask if you could come back and shadow some more and after you feel like they know you well enough to talk about you, then ask.

Oh Nice advice I've always wondered that myself :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wear a shirt and tie (or equivalent professional garb if you're a gal).

When you get there, go ahead and ask how long they'd like to have you around "so you don't overstay your welcome".

In general, shadowing involves staying out of the way and watching what's going on. Hopefully they'll explain things to you as it's going on, if not they'll hopefully encourage you to ask questions or they might give you some things they'll let you do. It really depends on the level of comfort the person you're shadowing has with you.

I wouldn't ask for a LOR after just one day. What I'd do is explain that you're interested in applying to accelerated pharm programs, ask if you could come back and shadow some more and after you feel like they know you well enough to talk about you, then ask.

Really? seriously? The people at the pharmacies I've seem weren't that dressed up? Would a polo shirt and khaki pants work for a girl? and how about tennis shoes? I can't imagine standing in one place in heels for 6-12 hours...

Really? seriously? The people at the pharmacies I've seem weren't that dressed up? Would a polo shirt and khaki pants work for a girl? and how about tennis shoes? I can't imagine standing in one place in heels for 6-12 hours...

Were those people pharmacists or technicians? I'm betting the pharmacist wasn't wearing a polo shirt.

I'd probably wear flats (as opposed to heals, but tennis shoes is going a little far), but always error on the side of being overdressed when you're going to be shadowing/working in patient care, esp if this is someone that might be writing you a letter of recommendation. Now if they tell you to go ahead and wear a polo shirt the next time, go ahead. But you are making a first impression, so look professional.