shadowing a clinic soon, suggestions to ask while shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just put a call into a local PT clinic to ask about shadowing for a day. I'm waiting to hear back to schedule a time.

Need some suggestion on good questions I should be asking. i want to talk to both the PT and PTA

questions that I've already been researching include:

PTA - hours, workload, income, benefits, how much do they enjoy their work?, aiming for DPT or happy where you are?

PT - hours, workload, thoughts on distance learning vs. on campus programs.

thats all I can think of right now.

Members don't see this ad.

While you are observing the PT work with a patient, you may ask questions such as why they are doing a certain exercise, or the anatomy or biomechanics behind it. It'll help you understand why the PT is doing what they are doing. For general information you can ask about their clinical experience in school since they are very different.

thanks, I like the clinical question.

however from all my various shoulder, back, knee injuries I feel I know "why" they are using certain techniques:laugh:

trying to think of the off the wall questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to ask some really tough questions ask about what they think about the effectiveness of the apta, the transition to the mandated clinical doctorate, the vision for 2020, the acceptance of direct access, and the compensation rates' inability to keep up with inflation. A big one would also be how things are expected to change with "healthcare reform." <<of course I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this last one. I wonder if the people writing the bill even know.

Also be sure to ask about how tuition reimbursement is handled. I do know the apta is trying to get on board with the National Health Service Corps. This is an instution that offers tuition reimbursement for two years of service in an underserved area.

http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm...MPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=61553

certainly makes sense to me

wow... now that's a question I would've never thought to ask. thanks!