SGU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JALHAD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Major: Biology, Co-op

Institution: University of Waterloo (Canada)

cGPA: 2.9

MCAT: 505

Lots of research and volunteering experience!!

What do you guys think of my chances for SGU with my bad GPA? I struggled the first two years with depression and was able to break out of it and managed to raise my gpa to what it is currently (upward trend).

I really appreciate any advice!! (Except the ones who are here to bash Caribbean med schools)

Members don't see this ad.

Not an SGU student, but the Canadians at my school (Ross) usually had higher stats than US students, so I’m not sure what your chances might be. Go ahead and apply.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree they might put you in Charter program... your GPA is a bit low. That might raise some flags. I wouldn't do charter (it's private loans or cash), and I heard too many people failing charter, and having to repeat it. I'd do a post bacc or free bio masters at a public state college (TA/teach), or something like that. Try though, you never know. If, like you say, you had a real upward trend and your junior/senior year is above 3.5 gpa each term, then they would see that. Look at your science GPA, is it above a 3.2 ish? Then yes. If not, they will probably put you in charter

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the standards for the SGU MSAP program? my gpa is around 3.45 but I just took the mcat and I think I did terrible (terrible as in maybe not even touching a 490), so I wanted to know what my chances of getting in that MSAP program are...

Does anyone know the standards for the SGU MSAP program? my gpa is around 3.45 but I just took the mcat and I think I did terrible (terrible as in maybe not even touching a 490), so I wanted to know what my chances of getting in that MSAP program are...
MSAP is a bit tricky to tell, standards wise.. I believe it's in between Charter program and full MD term 1 acceptance... 3.45 gpa (if science) and a little under 490 MCAT will probably get you put into MSAP, solely from your low MCAT, but you never know... depends on a lot of factors really

What do you guys think of my chances for SGU with my bad GPA? I struggled the first two years with depression and was able to break out of it and managed to raise my gpa to what it is currently (upward trend).

I really appreciate any advice!! (Except the ones who are here to bash Caribbean med schools)
You could also take a few more UG classes and apply DO! Much safer route

I recommend applying to some DO schools! Better to try at least

Hi! I'm a current 4th year student at SGU. The average cumulative GPA is a 3.3 and the average Science GPA is a 3.2. The average total MCAT score is a 498. So keep in mind that these are just AVERAGES - the selection committee will look at your application as a whole. It sounds like you have a lot of extra curricular activities and the fact that you were able to improve your GPA shows that you were able make changes to how you were studying and tackling life. I would definitely apply!

Also the psychological services at SGU are wonderful - the counselors really made a difference in my time on the island (plus the services are FREE). Med school can be really grueling so it's nice to know that those resources are readily available.