SGU Social Life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkingston

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is SGU's social life?

While I know many will so - what life? It's med school, I'd like to know what the people are like at SGU?

Competitive/cut throat or friendly?
Is it more like high school where you know practically everyone or is it more like college where you do your own thing and only know the people you hang out with?
Is it easy or hard to make friends?

Members don't see this ad.

Hugely diverse student body since it is so large. You will almost certainly not know everyone. In general I think it is less cut-throat than most US schools, I have only met 1-2 gunners out of a class size of 700 people. I am a slightly older, non-traditional student so I didn't attend a lot of the social events, but there is a large beach party every term called Sand Blast, there are always people going to Bananas (a bar/dance club) every Friday and Saturday night. There are nice (though expensive) beach-side restaurants. Swimming, sunning, beach games, snorkeling, diving, fishing, exploring the rainforests, exploring the island. On campus there are running paths, basketball courts, soccer/football fields, etc. There are tons of social things to do if you can keep ahead of your studies well enough to take advantage of them. If you want to be involved in these things, I would recommend living on or very near campus.

There are lots of planned events early on to help you make friends in the begining. You will also get parsed into groups based on your last name for academic groups, so there is a good chance you will know at least 2 or 3 people in your study groups.

It's like a large university in that you'll never know everyone. It's like high school in that everyone is cliquey after a term or so. Despite the island being so small, there's is usually enough to do on any day of the week to keep yourself occupied. It's fun and if you're outgoing you'll love your time there. The issue is balancing all of the extracurricular things you can end up doing with school to make sure you do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Plenty of things to do, like nice restaurants, swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, hiking, and there are decent clubs not too far from the school, like the Boatyard in L'Anse aux Epines and Aquarium. At least, those were the clubs around when I was a student there many years ago. Probably have new ones by now. But make sure studies come first so you end up with the best possible residency after going to all the trouble of traveling down there.

Last edited:
There are tons of social things to do at SGU.. There is probably a party are gathering of some sort atleasr 3-4 days a week.. A lot of people party pretty hard while there.. Some make it through the five semesters and some just partied a little too hard if you know what i mean,,,yaknowwhati'msayin ;)