Sexual Harassment on rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BibleGirl91

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a P4 and doing an internship at the 3-letter retail pharmacy. I've been having to deal with a creepy pharmacist and I don't know how to handle this.

He isn't my preceptor. He's the "other" pharmacist. From day 1, he kept looking at me and staring just a little too long. He kept commenting on how I "look good today." Even things like the food I brought got comments from him saying "so that's how you keep your figure slim."

I've really just tried to ignore him but he makes me so uncomfortable. When I bent down to get a stock bottle on the bottom of the fast rack I caught him looking at me, then he quickly looked away.

The thing that creeps me out the most is that he always asks me to take off my white coat before I go home. Then he proceeds to pat down my white coat. He says its company policy, but no other pharmacist makes me do this. I get the feeling he is just doing it to look at me with less clothing. It just makes me feel violated.

My school made it clear that we always have to wear our white coats on rotation, as this is apparently the law in our state. It also just seems unreasonable to ask someone to take off their clothes in a workplace.

So my question is what I should do. I have to deal with this creep for a for another few weeks.

Is this actually company policy?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are seriously concerned, I would speak with whoever does the APPE for your school first. They can help you with the situation and it will be documented that there was an issue if anything else occurs.

Reactions: 1 users
The white coat thing actually is policy. Though it is usually done up front by the front store management in front of the front store camera. That could be how they do it there, though, I can't 100% be sure what their policy is.

But the rest of that sounds rather inappropriate. I would report it to whoever coordinates rotations.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a P4 and doing an internship at the 3-letter retail pharmacy. I've been having to deal with a creepy pharmacist and I don't know how to handle this.

He isn't my preceptor. He's the "other" pharmacist. From day 1, he kept looking at me and staring just a little too long. He kept commenting on how I "look good today." Even things like the food I brought got comments from him saying "so that's how you keep your figure slim."

I've really just tried to ignore him but he makes me so uncomfortable. When I bent down to get a stock bottle on the bottom of the fast rack I caught him looking at me, then he quickly looked away.

The thing that creeps me out the most is that he always asks me to take off my white coat before I go home. Then he proceeds to pat down my white coat. He says its company policy, but no other pharmacist makes me do this. I get the feeling he is just doing it to look at me with less clothing. It just makes me feel violated.

My school made it clear that we always have to wear our white coats on rotation, as this is apparently the law in our state. It also just seems unreasonable to ask someone to take off their clothes in a workplace.

So my question is what I should do. I have to deal with this creep for a for another few weeks.

The white coat thing is standard policy. I would speak to your school about. Some of what you said sounds more like awkwardness rather than sexual. Some of it is sexual harassment, I would talk with your school.

Reactions: 1 user

This is a creepy/friendly person following policy. Sorry, but I don’t think complaints will be well received if this is the extent of it.

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like a bunch of awkwardness and flirtatious behavior. I don’t see anyhing “sexual” about it. If you are uncomfortable speak to your rotation director, but sounds like you have no idea what sexual harassment is. If you keep throwing that word around you can damage someone’s reputation when facts don’t substantiate your accusations.

Reactions: 4 users
Based on your posts sounds like

1. Has checked you out/starred at you
2. Complimented your appearance
3. Checked your white coat

To me, this does not equate to sexual harassment.

I dont see any sexual harassment case here.

Report this to cvs ethics line if he is making you uncomfortable. They will investigate.

This sounds like a good opportunity to expand your network..... but if you're not comfortable with that just tell him his actions/comments are not appropriate next time he says or do something that makes you uncomfortable. Some people gets too friendly at workplace and doesn't have any social awareness. I wouldn't involve your rotation coordinator unless you want to finish the rest of the month somewhere else

Based on your posts sounds like

1. Has checked you out/starred at you
2. Complimented your appearance
3. Checked your white coat

To me, this does not equate to sexual harassment.

Maybe it's not sexual harassment, but it's still creepy and inappropriate. Staring and commenting on people's figures are not OK at work. OP, tell this guy to stop making comments like that, and if he doesn't, get your rotation coordinator involved.

Lol @OP... Calling this sexual harrasment. He is just complimenting you. Pretty girls are nice to look at. Laugh it off, smile and get an A on this rotation.

OP already states that she feels uncomfortable. “Just smile, look pretty, get the A” sounds easy, but it’s hard to focus on learning and do your job when you can’t trust the people around you to have your better interests. Sorry to hear about your situation OP, you should probably speak to your rotations site coordinator. Likely nothing can be done for you unless the situation escalates (as others have pointed out), but you can make it better for the next intern if the coordinator knows not to send females to this particular site.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand why people won't just stick up for themselves. If you don't like it just say so.

The staring part is just human nature but let the person know the comments make you feel uncomfortable.

Maybe it's not sexual harassment, but it's still creepy and inappropriate. Staring and commenting on people's figures are not OK at work. OP, tell this guy to stop making comments like that, and if he doesn't, get your rotation coordinator involved.

I think that you have a valid point about inappropriate work conduct. However, I also feel that “starring” is subjective. I am a guy and I have checked out girls. Is that a crime? What heterosexual guy hasn’t? If this guy keeps commenting on her “figure” repeatedly, yeah maybe that can make her uncomfortable, I get that....should she be bothered if it happened once, arguably just a compliment of being skinny and eating healthy? perhaps call it uncomfortable work environment, but claims sexual harrassment is completely unjustified. If she comes out and says she has been sexually harassed this guy can be in deep trouble. I’d give him benefit of the doubt of being socially awkward and address it directly to him, if he doesn’t stop that behavior then go to management

I’m surprised so many people think this isn’t sexual harrassement.
I am still new to the workforce, but based on the sexual harrassment training videos I watched in recent years, this behavior fits the definition.

As a former preceptor, I have and would not have made the comments about your physical appearance its just not appropriate. My concern as a preceptor is whether you attire/appearance is professional or not, that's it. Never had an issue with this.

As a victim of sexual harassment, I feel for you and you have to trust your gut. Call your school and report that you feel uncomfortable. If they ask why, reference the comments.

As a man, I have seen multiple female employees who were not addressed appropriately for the workplace. When working at the a major bank, my department manager, an older female, was wearing a top that fit barely above her nipple line. It drew my eyes in so much that I had to look away when talking to her. At a major retail pharmacy, two techs wore low cut shirts and tight pants (club clothes) until the store manager got a complaint called into corporate. Don't know how you are dressing, but I would ensure it appropriate.

Typical double standard:
Person you like or are attracted to doing same behaviors (or more extreme) = dreamboat.
Anybody you don't have an immediate interest or are not attracted to = creepy.

Furthermore, the shocking thing is relatively few people on this forum have called out the OP for trying to stir the pot within a 4, or what 5 week APPE experience. Gaining experience and learning how to be a productive coworker that meshes well with the rest of the community is part of the APPE experience, and clearly the OP has failed to learn anything from this situation, and instead is trying to falsely ride the #metoo wave as well. OP, you are not anywhere close to reaching the definition of being sexually harassed. The direction and responses of many members of this thread is truly disturbing.

Last edited:
Typical double standard:
Person you like or are attracted to doing same behaviors (or more extreme) = dreamboat.
Anybody you don't have an immediate interest or are not attracted to = creepy.

Furthermore, the shocking thing is relatively few people on this forum have called out the OP for trying to stir the pot within a 4, or what 5 week APPE experience. Gaining experience and learning how to be a productive coworker that meshes well with the rest of the community is part of the APPE experience, and clearly the OP has failed to learn anything from this situation, and instead is trying to ride the #metoo wave as well. OP, you are not anywhere close to reaching the definition of being sexually harassed. The direction and responses of many members of this thread is truly disturbing.

Wow. I would suggest you check with your HR department tomorrow on the definition of sexual harassment. The comments and looks certainly qualify. The only thing the OP should do is make sure the rph knows his behavior is NOT welcomed, that's it. She cooperated with the jacket check without knowing whether that's legit or not.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't suggest she run out and hire an attorney and sue everyone, but she should't have to put up with inappropriate behavior.

Reactions: 7 users
Wow. I would suggest you check with your HR department tomorrow on the definition of sexual harassment. The comments and looks certainly qualify. The only thing the OP should do is make sure the rph knows his behavior is NOT welcomed, that's it. She cooperated with the jacket check without knowing whether that's legit or not.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't suggest she run out and hire an attorney and sue everyone, but she should't have to put up with inappropriate behavior.

“Wow”, why don’t you tell me what sexual harassment is?

Good to know you read the threads you comment on so you’re still wondering if it’s policy or not.

Lol @OP... Calling this sexual harrasment. He is just complimenting you. Pretty girls are nice to look at. Laugh it off, smile and get an A on this rotation.

That is what SHC1984 would have done!

I can understand why this would bother you. Telling your rotation coordinator or calling the ethic line would probably solve the problem with this creepy guy. Most likely you would be moved to another site. Is that what you want? Why not say, "I am sure you don't mean to make me feel uncomfortable but your compliment is making me feel uncomfortable". If he doesn't stop, then of course take a more forceful step.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. If other people know, they may feel like they have to be extra careful around you especially if they don't know the facts.

You are going to deal with this stuff all of the times from your "patients". That is something you have to deal with when you work as a pharmacist.

I took this hot girl for some sushi and these two guys kept on staring at her. It didn't bother her one bit. She knows she is good looking. Now THAT'S confidence...love it.

“Wow”, why don’t you tell me what sexual harassment is?

Good to know you read the threads you comment on so you’re still wondering if it’s policy or not.

Any comments that are unwelcomed are not appropriate for work. It doesn't matter if you think it's fine. Everyone is different, personally I wouldn't care if people compliment me but that doesn't mean others want to hear it.

As a former preceptor, I have and would not have made the comments about your physical appearance its just not appropriate. My concern as a preceptor is whether you attire/appearance is professional or not, that's it. Never had an issue with this.

As a victim of sexual harassment, I feel for you and you have to trust your gut. Call your school and report that you feel uncomfortable. If they ask why, reference the comments.

As a man, I have seen multiple female employees who were not addressed appropriately for the workplace. When working at the a major bank, my department manager, an older female, was wearing a top that fit barely above her nipple line. It drew my eyes in so much that I had to look away when talking to her. At a major retail pharmacy, two techs wore low cut shirts and tight pants (club clothes) until the store manager got a complaint called into corporate. Don't know how you are dressing, but I would ensure it appropriate.

Oh and “wow” hate to break it to you, but you’re sure lucky to not get reported for sexual harassment considering you were leering at your managers breasts so much that it “drew my eyes in so much,” LOL. Pretty sure if the OPs coworker is guilty, you’re guilty 100x over. Maybe the problem is you, considering all you seem to notice is (in great detail) the “nipples” and “low cut shirts” and “tight pants.”

That is what SHC1984 would have done!

I can understand why this would bother you but telling your rotation coordinator or calling the ethic line may solve the problem with this creepy guy. Most likely you would be moved to another site. Is that what you want? Why not say, "I am sure you don't mean to make me feel uncomfortable but your compliment is making me feel uncomfortable". If he doesn't stop, then of course take a more forceful step.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. If other people know, they may feel like they have to be extra careful around you especially if they don't know the facts.

You are going to deal with this stuff all of the times from your "patients". That is something you have to deal with when you work as a pharmacist.

I took this hot girl for some sushi and these two guys kept on staring at her. It didn't bother her one bit. She knows she is good looking. Now THAT'S confidence...love it.

Just consider that your date didn’t have to interact in a professional setting on a daily basis with the guys staring at her. The OP is accountable for her work as an intern and her evaluation is subjective based upon how she handles the situation. It makes a difference.

You can be attractive, stared at, and hit on all the time and still find it unwelcome. It would be interesting to know if the advice/critique of the OP is given by male or female. I think that makes a difference too.

Any comments that are unwelcomed are not appropriate for work. It doesn't matter if you think it's fine. Everyone is different, personally I wouldn't care if people compliment me but that doesn't mean others want to hear it.

As you yourself pointed out, the OP didn’t stand up for herself. Furthermore, going with your logic, what exactly defines “staring just a bit too long?” Maybe she looks like an old acquaintance of the coworker? People are assuming way too many things in favor of the OP, which is questionable considering the choices the OP has made throughout this situation.

Just consider that your date didn’t have to interact in a professional setting on a daily basis with the guys staring at her. The OP is accountable for her work as an intern and her evaluation is subjective based upon how she handles the situation. It makes a difference.

One guy at work bothered her. She told him to stop it. He got the point and he never bothered her again.

Oh and “wow” hate to break it to you, but you’re sure lucky to not get reported for sexual harassment considering you were leering at your managers breasts so much that it “drew my eyes in so much,” LOL. Pretty sure if the OPs coworker is guilty, you’re guilty 100x over. Maybe the problem is you, considering all you seem to notice is (in great detail) the “nipples” and “low cut shirts” and “tight pants.”

Well here is the difference. The Rph that OP is working with must lack the ability to read body language and lack the insight to see behavior was inappropriate, so she must take another course. I realized back then my eyes weren't where they should be so I took corrective action. It goes for all workplace behavior. We should act cordial, friendly and professional towards each other. And use some common sense.

One guy at work bothered her. She told him to stop it. He got the point and he never bothered her again.

Yeah, that’s fine. I agree that your date handled it well, but that wasn’t the point you made initially. Confidence on a date and confidence in the work place are displayed differently. Telling the pharmacist (superior position) to stop making these types of comments sounds like OP is accusing him of hitting on her. It’s awkward.

I agree OP should come to a decisive action to address her situation, but we should all have some empathy (especially a lot of the males). She’s instinctively uncomfortable. If the situation escalated, hindsight being 20/20, I wonder how many of us here would be criticizing her for just brushing off her feelings that something is wrong?

Am I the only one thinking the employee search sounds odd? That doesn't sound like a workplace, it sounds like a prison. I've been in a lot of different pharmacies and never had anyone ask to search my clothes.

Am I the only one thinking the employee search sounds odd? That doesn't sound like a workplace, it sounds like a prison. I've been in a lot of different pharmacies and never had anyone ask to search my clothes.
It's normal at CVS. They look into your pocket while you are still using the damn coat.

I’m surprised so many people think this isn’t sexual harrassement.
I am still new to the workforce, but based on the sexual harrassment training videos I watched in recent years, this behavior fits the definition.

Can you elaborate and substantiate as to why you think this meets criteria for sexual harassment?

I have never searched anyone's clothes, but I don't think its beyond the realm of possibilities to at least ask someone to empty their pockets out. I did work at wag and the yuyamma technician came in. His own form from his company that I had to sign required him to open his toolbag which I requested he do. Then he went to the office and complained to the store manager since no one else asked him to do it. . Anyone that works at a major retailer knows there are some many policies and procedures overlooked.

If you really read that, nothing that this pharmacist did constitute as sexual harrasment.

Not a pharm student, but I’m a med student. We had a class session where we discussed case studies just like the OP’s. It does actually qualify as a reportable infraction. Sexual harassment seems to have a very loose, situational definition, but unwelcome touching and comments qualify. If you’re unsure about what counts I would take it up with the appropriate admin in your institution.

If you really read that, nothing that this pharmacist did constitute as sexual harrasment.
I interpret it that that way. Staring, physical comments that create an offensive work environment. OP is offended, not pleased by rphs behavior.

I can see it already, the follow up post to this thread: “Help in danger in losing job over alleged sexual harassment”

“SDNers I’m really lost. We had a new APPE intern who started working at our CVS. I work with her preceptor, and I tried to make her feel comfortable and fill in any gaps while her preceptor wasn’t here. Every time I talked to her she was smiling or giggling, and then a few days ago I got called into a meeting with my PIC, DM, and faculty members from the school of pharmacy about how I sexually harassed her now CVS is threatening to fire me, what should I do?”

Not a pharm student, but I’m a med student. We had a class session where we discussed case studies just like the OP’s. It does actually qualify as a reportable infraction. Sexual harassment seems to have a very loose, situational definition, but unwelcome touching and comments qualify. If you’re unsure about what counts I would take it up with the appropriate admin in your institution.
Yes, making a one random off comments (about how you stay skinny, which is normally a compliment for a lot of people), and staring 2 seconds too long warrant this person to be fired. LMAO...

Sexual harassment suit? You are a fool.

“Unwelcome touching”... settle down med student... you need to go back and reread her post... there was no touching taken place... I’ve worked at cvs and my white count was searched exactly the same way... she wasnt wearing it when the search was done. I can vouch for that being done at about of half of cVs that I’ve floated to... stop making crap up

I can see it already, the follow up post to this thread: “Help in danger in losing job over alleged sexual harassment”

“SDNers I’m really lost. We had a new APPE intern who started working at our CVS. I work with her preceptor, and I tried to make her feel comfortable and fill in any gaps while her preceptor wasn’t here. Every time I talked to her she was smiling or giggling, and then a few days ago I got called into a meeting with my PIC, DM, and faculty members from the school of pharmacy about how I sexually harassed her now CVS is threatening to fire me, what should I do?”

No one is advocating for the OP to get this guy fired. If anything the pharmacy manager or someone from HR would address him and advise him to be more mindful of his words or actions. It’s true, he might be old school and his comments might be intended towards OP as endearment. There are processes in place to address these issues. One report won’t do anything to his career. However, if he has a file of similar complaints, then the appropriate actions will be taken as well.

Yes, making a one random off comments (about how you stay skinny, which is normally a compliment for a lot of people), and staring 2 seconds too long warrant this person to be fired. LMAO...

Sexual harassment suit? You are a fool.

Read below post. You need to chill. This is a discussion. Making personal attacks against me doesn’t help your argument. I’d make some offensive comment about how inferior pharmacy is to medicine, but I don’t think you’re worth it or representative of your more sensible colleagues that I’ve met.

Last edited:

We could reference the Op, she never said she is smiling and giggling. She said she tried to ignore him. When counseling a patient, do you really continue when they interrupt you and tell you the dr already told them everything? No If you hit on a girl and you get a cold fish response, do you persist, no.

I call this red light/green light. Hit on girl, she flirts back green light go for it. Hit on a girl shes disinterested red light.

One report won’t do anything to his career. However, if he has a file of similar complaints, then the appropriate actions will be taken as well.

Where have you been? Pharmacy is like high school. Everyone knows everyone and they love to gossip.

No one is advocating for the OP to get this guy fired. If anything the pharmacy manager or someone from HR would address him and advise him to be more mindful of his words or actions. It’s true, he might be old school and his comments might be intended towards OP as endearment. There are processes in place to address these issues. One report won’t do anything to his career. However, if he has a file of similar complaints, then the appropriate actions will be taken as well.

How naive are you? I’m going to bed this is ridiculous.

Why not just tell him that I don’t feel comfortable when you make comments about my appearance? And see if that solves the problem?

“Unwelcome touching”... settle down med student... you need to go back and reread her post... there was no touching taken place... I’ve worked at cvs and my white count was searched exactly the same way... she wasnt wearing it when the search was done. I can vouch for that being done at about of half of cVs that I’ve floated to... stop making crap up

I addressed the general definition of sexual harassment and what can fall under the umbrella. I didn’t say she was inappropriately touched. I have worked as a tech and none of our interns were patted down. It seems like it isn’t common practice and OP didn’t expect it. If anything her school should have helped with more preparation for what to expect on her internship.

Lets be honest here.

Students/interns are stupid and have absolutely zero incentive to actually pull their weight in sweatshop rotations. This means all pharmacists should be keeping tabs on you by observing everything you do or touch in case you do something stupid.

In addition, you are also at CVS so any woman in her 20s who washes their hair will probably get a second look or two. Sexual harassment? Most men (especially pharmacists) would rather not have any women within their working vicinity if they could help it.

Where have you been? Pharmacy is like high school. Everyone knows everyone and they love to gossip.

I’m saying that there are corporate departments that look into these reports. It’s company policy and the pharmacist won’t be fired because of random hearsay from an intern if there isn’t a serious concern prior.

I addressed the general definition of sexual harassment and what can fall under the umbrella. I didn’t say she was inappropriately touched. I have worked as a tech and none of our interns were patted down. It seems like it isn’t common practice and OP didn’t expect it. If anything her school should have helped with more preparation for what to expect on her internship.

1. School doesn’t prepare one for anyhing
2. Vast majority of people are fine with having their white coat searched if they have nothing to hide... again, half of the cvs have done it to me... don’t like it, quit and repeat the rotation.
3. When you “unwelcome touching”- people assume u mean groped... got to be careful with what you say...

Again most people disagre with you.

Lets be honest here.

Students/interns are stupid and have absolutely zero incentive to actually pull their weight in sweatshop rotations. This means all pharmacists should be keeping tabs on you by observing everything you do or touch in case you do something stupid.

In addition, you are also at CVS so any woman in her 20s who washes their hair will probably get a second look or two. Sexual harassment? Most men (especially pharmacists) would rather not have any women within their working vicinity if they could help it.

I agree with you that there is little incentive for students to pull their weight, how many actually fail? I think schools are giving them an easy pass to fill their slots. But I would disagree with working with women. My best supervisor was female.