Setting up job shadows

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Audity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the forums and was hoping I could obtain some advice as I pursue audiology. I'm a bit behind, as I just recently committed myself to this career field. I was a biology/pre-med major in undergrad and then taught science to students with dyslexia and/or autism for 5 years.

Once I made my decision, the application deadline for Fall 2011 admission to most AuD programs had passed (aside from one or two programs). I quickly gathered my application materials and applied to one of those before that deadline (Bloomsburg University).

Whether I get in and accept this year with BU or if I wait until next year for a different program, I will want to set up some job shadows. Does anybody have advice on the best way to do this? For example, is it better to walk in, call, or send an email to inquire about opportunities? Any other tidbits of advice for an aspiring AuD student? I could use all the help/support you are willing to give.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Audity,

Welcome to the forum! It's great that you're trying to see what audiology is like in action.

Here's what I did to contact offices/schools for obersvations:
  • Go through your state's Audiology Association. In California we have what's "California Academy of Audiology". And if your state has anything like that, check their website for a list of audiology offices.
  • Look for the ones that are closer to you and call them. I called and made an appointment to see the audiologist. Most audiologists are too busy to take your call right there.
  • Explain why you're doing this and hopefully they'll offer a day or two to observe.
Hope that helps!

Thanks SoCalAud!

I've got a list and I have placed a few calls, but after a couple of peculiar responses from receptionists I thought I might be going about it the wrong way.
I have heard back from one audiologist and she asked that I put the request in the form of an email. I guess it's just all about personal preference...
Hopefully I can get several set up.

I'm excited to job shadow at various settings! :)

I'll let you know how it goes. If there's anything else you think I should know before going, please feel free to share!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with what SoCal said, but also you might see about contacting a communication sciences department at a school nearby and see who they send their students to (you could ask stealthily by asking about their program and asking where students observe or what types of situations... they'll probably mention some practices or medical settings, that could give you a head start). While email isn't quite as personal, it also gives the person a chance to think about your request before replying. I would call the receptionist, explain that you would like to get some clinical observation and request an email address.

The obvious suggestions for 'what to do' are to dress professionally, don't wear too much perfume, bring a small notepad to take notes (people love it when you take notes on what they say!) and try to ask intelligent questions after the appointments if time allows. Then, after you're done, ALWAYS send a thank you note. This goes a long way toward building rapport!

I'll let you know how it goes. If there's anything else you think I should know before going, please feel free to share!

Thanks Dustbug! I saw the link to your blog on this site and have already read several of your entries. You're a great writer with insightful thoughts regarding audiology, school, and life. Thank you for sharing! I'm sure to continue checking in to see what you've got to say.

rEliseMe: Thanks for the excellent advice! I didn't think of contacting local schools...I'll have to try that! I also like the advice about writing a thank you note. I agree -- one small 'thank you' can go a long way.
Also, I was just looking over the Fall 2011 acceptance thread - CONGRATS on your acceptance!!! :)

rEliseMe: Thanks for the excellent advice! I didn't think of contacting local schools...I'll have to try that! I also like the advice about writing a thank you note. I agree -- one small 'thank you' can go a long way.
Also, I was just looking over the Fall 2011 acceptance thread - CONGRATS on your acceptance!!! :)

Thank you! :D And you're so welcome. Good luck in your journey! Enjoy every bit of it; it's all worth savoring.