VA job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

audiaudi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently finishing up my 4th year externship at a VA. I was also at a VA for a semester of my 3rd year. Needless to say I have VA experience (from 2 VAs that have great reputations in audiology). I am now looking to stay in the VA but the job search is coming up dry. I am open to going to any VA in any part of the country so I have been applying to ALL listings that are posted on USAjobs but I never hear anything back. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently finishing up my 4th year externship at a VA. I was also at a VA for a semester of my 3rd year. Needless to say I have VA experience (from 2 VAs that have great reputations in audiology). I am now looking to stay in the VA but the job search is coming up dry. I am open to going to any VA in any part of the country so I have been applying to ALL listings that are posted on USAjobs but I never hear anything back. Any advice?

Have you current audiology chief/supervisor and your previous ones check the VA audiology listserv. Many of us know of upcoming openings before they are posted to USAJOBS. Also many times students have difficulties making it through the HR screenings because they answer the questions incorrectly. You need to fill it out like you have completed your program and are licensed. If you don't then HR basically tosses you in the "no" pile.

Also make sure you read the announcements correctly and fill out your resume using USAJOBS template that they have as this is the one HR looks at. Be sure to put the job vacancy and announcement number in your resume you use so the HR people can link it (unfortunately VA HR people are some the laziest people I've ever encountered and I swear if they spent as much time trying to work as they do trying to avoid work they would get more done!) and track it.

Also after you get everything uploaded and submitted contact the HR contact for the posting frequently!!!!!

Good luck! It's a great place to work!

Have you current audiology chief/supervisor and your previous ones check the VA audiology listserv. Many of us know of upcoming openings before they are posted to USAJOBS. Also many times students have difficulties making it through the HR screenings because they answer the questions incorrectly. You need to fill it out like you have completed your program and are licensed. If you don't then HR basically tosses you in the "no" pile.

Also make sure you read the announcements correctly and fill out your resume using USAJOBS template that they have as this is the one HR looks at. Be sure to put the job vacancy and announcement number in your resume you use so the HR people can link it (unfortunately VA HR people are some the laziest people I've ever encountered and I swear if they spent as much time trying to work as they do trying to avoid work they would get more done!) and track it.

Also after you get everything uploaded and submitted contact the HR contact for the posting frequently!!!!!

Good luck! It's a great place to work!

Yes! All of my preceptors have been very consistent with forwarding emails from the VA audiology listserv with job opportunities. But there hasn't been one of those emails in 2 months, unfortunately.

I do believe the issue is with HR like you said. I wish they weren't the ones making determinations on whether or not applications get forwarded to the department. I have been putting the vacancy ID on all the applications. I have been filling out the applications like I'm an audiologist, however, when you're asked to give your license number and you don't have one there is no way to skirt around that (even when you've explained the circumstances).

Thanks for suggesting to use the USAjobs resume template and to contact the HR person listed for the posting. Great advice.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The main issue with how things are going, even on USAJobs, is that because of the allowance for locations to direct-hire 4th year students without posting job opportunities, you now have a minimal amount of GS-11 jobs.

The only guaranteed way to get a job is to happen to work at a location that hires on 4th years. The other option, unfortunately, is to get out of the system for a year and apply for all of the GS-12 jobs (of which there are many, many more).

As TheEarDoc mentioned, the breakdown for GS-11 jobs is occurring at the HR level, regardless of what 'secrets' VA Audiologists tell you, because Federal HR is a whole other world ("you don't qualify for this position because you don't have state licensing" came up several times when I applied, being as I was applying right on the other end of graduation, even if inserting information into the narrative that indicates as such).

Make sure you keep a copy of your SF-50 to show that you were in the VA system if you cannot find anything.

Reactions: 1 user
I would also recommend contacting service chiefs in audiology at VA facilities asking about contract positions. Often you get paid well and if you have a spouse who has benefits you can be on then it's a great way to stay in the VA and then you would be able to be hired under a direct hire clause without posting the job if an opening occurred at the facility you did contract work at.

Reactions: 1 users
As an update to this post just to show others that it is possible, I was able to get a job with the VA following the completion of my externship.:happy:

Reactions: 2 users
As an update to this post just to show others that it is possible, I was able to get a job with the VA following the completion of my externship.:happy:

Congrats and welcome to the show.....

Reactions: 1 user