Serious question for prepharm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BelowTheMean

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why not NP? Easier and higher pay with extremely high growth potential. Every RN at my place seems to just do some online training (paid by hospital) and then work as NP doing everything the clinical pharmacist does AND more while paid almost 2x more. Just look at the jobs listed salary if you dont believe it. Here's one recently.

1600976852440.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Because they're "passionate" about pharmacy and want to "help people" in the healthcare setting without touching them. The oxymoron of the century.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Pharmacists are the last people to pick up the phone. They hide in the back behind their monitors and hope no one comes to the consult window. Then they make the customers wait a long time at consult. Pharmacists are the last people who want to "help people".

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmacists are the last people to pick up the phone. They hide in the back behind their monitors and hope no one comes to the consult window. Then they make the customers wait a long time at consult. Pharmacists are the last people who want to "help people".
Counting pills is "helping people."

Doing "behind the scenes" work is "helping people."

Optimizing medication regimens (by giving recommendations to doctors, not patients) is "helping people."

Why not NP? Easier and higher pay with extremely high growth potential. Every RN at my place seems to just do some online training (paid by hospital) and then work as NP doing everything the clinical pharmacist does AND more while paid almost 2x more. Just look at the jobs listed salary if you dont believe it. Here's one recently.

View attachment 319038
Or why not PA? Less schooling than PharmD. And the PA residency in surgery or ER can actually increase your salary compared to pharmacy residency. And PA does everything a clinical pharmacist does and gets paid 2 times more

Or why not PA? Less schooling than PharmD. And the PA residency in surgery or ER can actually increase your salary compared to pharmacy residency. And PA does everything a clinical pharmacist does and gets paid 2 times more

because its harder to get into. You can get into pharmacy school with < 3.0 GPA and no PCAT … no joke. These pre-pharmers (those with great GPAs) think they hurdled a tough obstacle when they get into pharm school but if they ever talk to their peers, they'll find out they got into with no PCAT and a poor GPA.

because its harder to get into. You can get into pharmacy school with < 3.0 GPA and no PCAT … no joke. These pre-pharmers (those with great GPAs) think they hurdled a tough obstacle when they get into pharm school but if they ever talk to their peers, they'll find out they got into with no PCAT and a poor GPA.
In your opinion, do you think NP school is easy to get into? I am sure it is still harder to get into than pharmacy school. And BSN programs are making themselves competitive. Those high GPA pre pharmers need to pick something else.

Yeah, pharmacy is the easiest to get into.

In your opinion, do you think NP school is easy to get into? I am sure it is still harder to get into than pharmacy school. And BSN programs are making themselves competitive. Those high GPA pre pharmers need to pick something else.

Yeah, pharmacy is the easiest to get into.

In my opinion, I think pharmacy school is wayyy easier to get into the NP. If I actually did the research, I'm pretty confident there is enough evidence that proves this. NP route is more flexible and has a better ROI since you'd have to be a nurse first. There are several nurses I work with that manages to take classes while work shifts as a nurse.

In my opinion, I think pharmacy school is wayyy easier to get into the NP. If I actually did the research, I'm pretty confident there is enough evidence that proves this. NP route is more flexible and has a better ROI since you'd have to be a nurse first. There are several nurses I work with that manages to take classes while work shifts as a nurse.
Well, there are NP programs that do not require the BSN degree. Vanderbilt School if Nursing does not require a BSN, but a bachelors in science.

On a side note, what is shocking was Paul Tran mentioned in his hospital that they have a pharmacy technician in charge of 340B and gets pharmacy pay out in the state of Washington. I truly think technicians could replace all pharmacists once the chains get control of all state boards of pharmacy.

Not lying. Paul talks about the pharmacy tech.

Last edited by a moderator: